Wikiposts

BE's Book Club!!

Old Jan 30th 2006, 1:11 am
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BE's Book Club!!

Originally Posted by WendyC
I prefer a good ol' thriller or similar

My favs are

Ladykiller - Martina Cole
The Da Vinci Code
The Messiah Code
All of Mark Billinghams books are excellent - Lazybones, Scaredy Cat etc
James Patterson's Alex Cross series.

Fantastic
You should read the Alex Delaware mysteries by Jonathan Kellerman.Really good.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jessica Rabbit
Have you tried " Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown? (same author who wrote Da Vinci Code. I have read both and thought Angels and Demons was much better. I really enjoyed it.

I noticed you have read a Martina Cole book too, have you read any others because all of her books are brilliant?

Yes, I've read Angels and demons to, but I preferred the Da Vinci Code.

I have also read all of Martina Cole's book but Lady Killer is my favourite.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clydegirl
I was going to start on them, but then either Martina Cole, James Patterson or Mark Billingham bring another out and I get side tracked into buying them instead
Old Jan 30th 2006, 8:44 am
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to start on them, but then either Martina Cole, James Patterson or Mark Billingham bring another out and I get side tracked into buying them instead
If you're going to read them start with the first one" When The Bough Breaks" or else you will miss things that happen in his life.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If you're going to read them start with the first one" When The Bough Breaks" or else you will miss things that happen in his life.

Will do. Thanks it would have taken me ages to find out which was first
Old Jan 30th 2006, 10:36 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by possoms
Is the Fatal Shore a novel or biography?

It's neither. A historical reference book, well written to boot. Must have taken him years to research it. Huge though, I'm reading a few pages a night and although I seem to have been reading it for months, I'm not half way through!
Old Jan 30th 2006, 11:44 am
Just Joined

CatherineJones is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mark Billingham

Just finished reading my first Mark Billingham, the Burning Girl. if anyone likes police crime books this is an excellent read. Can also recommend any of the Patrica Cornwell or Minette Walters books.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 12:28 pm
roamin in the gloamin

Will do. Thanks it would have taken me ages to find out which was first
You're welcome.

Think there's 17 Delaware books.Always a page turner.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 4:43 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

I always preferred Alex Cross by Patterson to Alex Delaware by Kellerman. Light reading/humour is always taken care of by Terry Pratchett. I've read all the Dan Brown books and the usual 'time to kill' books (Cornwell, Reichs, Grisham, Deaver et al). Ones which stick in my mind are 'Schindlers Ark' by Tom Keneally, this was it's original title before Speilberg got his hands on it. The book is far more powerful than the film. I read it in late 93 before it was 'popular' and thought it was fantastic. 'Trinity' by Leon Uris, good book about the Irish 'struggles' in the Charles Stewart Parnell era. Lord of the Rings - again a great book spoiled by a film maker. As another poster has named him, I found Sebastian Faulks books excellent. I read Birdsong after visitng the area the guy talks about, around Thiepval on the Somme and it made the book so much more real. Charlotte Gray was good, but not as good as Birdsong. On a totally different tract, the works of the War Poets, Wilfred Owen, Rupert Brooke, Seigfreid Sassoon are also worth reading. Sitting at the dressing station near Ypres where John McCrae wrote 'In Flanders Fields' was quite a moving experience.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Default Re: Mark Billingham

Originally Posted by CatherineJones
Just finished reading my first Mark Billingham, the Burning Girl. if anyone likes police crime books this is an excellent read. Can also recommend any of the Patrica Cornwell or Minette Walters books.

His first book, Lazybones is very good. highly recommended.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 7:30 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mark Billingham

His first book, Lazybones is very good. highly recommended.
Patricia Cornwell gets a bit too formulaic in the long run. For that type of Forensic novel, Kathy Reichs has a bit of an edge. If you want to follow a series I would go for the Alex Cross books by Patterson. Jeffrey Deaver books are good as well, but not the 'Location Scout' series. (or I didn't like them - doesn't mean others don't)
Old Jan 30th 2006, 8:13 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by webgum
It's neither. A historical reference book, well written to boot. Must have taken him years to research it. Huge though, I'm reading a few pages a night and although I seem to have been reading it for months, I'm not half way through!
Hi thanks for that will check it out, we are emigrating to Tasmania
Old Jan 30th 2006, 9:31 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by possoms
Hi thanks for that will check it out, we are emigrating to Tasmania
There's loads and loads about Tassie (Van Diemens Land). Tales of bush rangers and escaped convicts eating each other. Great stuff!

My husband once cycled up the east coast of Tasmania (for fun apparently!!) and the photos he took were amazing. It looks stunning. Good luck.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 9:42 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by webgum
There's loads and loads about Tassie (Van Diemens Land). Tales of bush rangers and escaped convicts eating each other. Great stuff!

My husband once cycled up the east coast of Tasmania (for fun apparently!!) and the photos he took were amazing. It looks stunning. Good luck.
Thank you I'm googling the book now
Old Jan 30th 2006, 9:50 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. I did my degree in English and my dad told me I should be ashamed of myself for never having read it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.