Wikiposts

BE's Book Club!!

Old Jan 28th 2006, 4:21 am
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BE's Book Club!!

Am currently reading 'Sanctuary' by Nora Roberts. I like a lot of her books! I have also read and quite liked (but it took me time to get into) 'DVC' by Dan Brown!

I love reading!!

Susan
Old Jan 28th 2006, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I bought this book the other week called 'Sickened' by Julie Gregory.

I found it hard to get stuck in.

Yes, I've read that. Didn't find it so good. I did read "A child called IT" absolutely brilliant, the poor kid. What can I say

The "sickened" book was one of them that came out a while after it. I get the impression of " well he had a Sh** childood like me so I'll sell my story too, cos he's now rich" blah blah blah...........

I recommend A Child Called It though, it is quite brilliant
Old Jan 28th 2006, 9:27 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I havent.

I read another book a while back, cant remember who its by but its called 'Lovely Bones' that was quite disturbing.
It's by Alice Sebold - I have recently read it to and I thought a very good book.

Just read Like Water for Chocolate (Laura Esquivel) and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime (Mark Haddon) - both highly recommended
Old Jan 28th 2006, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

angel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymad
Hi all,
For all thriller fans i have a large collection of Dean Koontz,Patracia Cornwell,and John Grisham books that I want to move on. Nearly all are 1st edition hardbacks and some are quite old/scare now ( ihave Phantoms by Koontz,1st ed h/b d/j if your interested) not sure about postage costs etc but if you are interested we'll sort something out i'm sure.

If your after a good read try "The painted House" By John Grisham,without doubt this is his best book,not run of the mill courtroom drama but a great story told through the eyes of a dirt poor boy growing up on a cotton farm in the deep south during the depression,a truly great book imo

I love reading and some of the best books i have read were by Dean Koontz and Patricia Cornwell. Its great how they get in to the finest detail of the story. I put off reading the Da Vinci Code but wish i hadnt cause it was great. I could not put it down and read it start to finish in just over 2 days. Unfortunately havent had time to read the next one but im really looking forward to the film they are making. Should be good.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 8:57 pm
Running on the spot.

rugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by angel17796
I love reading and some of the best books i have read were by Dean Koontz and Patricia Cornwell. Its great how they get in to the finest detail of the story. I put off reading the Da Vinci Code but wish i hadnt cause it was great. I could not put it down and read it start to finish in just over 2 days. Unfortunately havent had time to read the next one but im really looking forward to the film they are making. Should be good.
I was not impressed with the other books by Dan Brown,as other people have said on here,it's almost as if he rushed the endings! I honestly recommend "The painted house " By John Grisham.
Totally agree with you about Cornwell and Koontz,although I think even those 2 have written a few howlers! :scared:
Old Jan 29th 2006, 12:27 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

A Briefer History of Time by Stephen Hawking.

This book breaks everything down into more manageable chapters instead of overloading you into submission where it all goes whoosh, "straight over me head".
More diagrams in this version so I could get out me crayons and do lots of colouring in.

It was certainly a different read, I'm not a great book fanatic but this was interesting, made easier with a few and good for the

Seriously though, worth a read if you want to know more about the Universe, the big bang and time etc..

Right, I'll get me coat!
Old Jan 29th 2006, 4:41 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rossifumi
A Briefer History of Time by Stephen Hawking.

This book breaks everything down into more manageable chapters instead of overloading you into submission where it all goes whoosh, "straight over me head".
More diagrams in this version so I could get out me crayons and do lots of colouring in.

It was certainly a different read, I'm not a great book fanatic but this was interesting, made easier with a few and good for the

Seriously though, worth a read if you want to know more about the Universe, the big bang and time etc..

Right, I'll get me coat!

Rich whens the world going to end? I want to put a bet on at the bookies
Old Jan 29th 2006, 4:48 am
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

I am currently looking at "Creating Sacred Space with Feng Shui" by Karen Kingston. Fabulous chapter on Clearing your clutter and I am trying to put it into practice. It is liberating chucking a whole load of stuff away that I havent worn, used or needed in years!!!

And I am looking through "The ELement Encyclopedia of 5000 SPells" by Judika Illes.

Very interesting!!
Old Jan 29th 2006, 9:37 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

I was only thinking last week we havent had a bookclub thread for a good few months....you must've read my mind ozt! (that was a pun...didja geddit? huh? huh?)

i read through a heap of patricia cornwell books over the last couple of months.....a few continuity errors (why oh why do i look on those websites and torture myself?? lol...) but good reads otherwise.
STILL havent read the fatal shore yet......keep picking it up, but i tend to fall asleep reading, so completely lose track.
saw a few posters plugging a writer called Tess Gerritsen so i thought id try her (if you know what i mean....) but shes basically the same as patricia cornwell but the main character is a detective. And thats about all thats different between the two. (can i get my £14 back from WHSmiths?)

Shall see what oxfam has to offer tomorrow (the broomhill branch for any sheffielders looking for a well stocked 2nd hand book shop!! )

Sue
Old Jan 29th 2006, 12:59 pm

fireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nice

I just bought Sebastian Faulks new book, "Human Traces". If it's half as good as Birdsong it will be a good read
Old Jan 29th 2006, 8:21 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
STILL havent read the fatal shore yet......keep picking it up, but i tend to fall asleep reading, so completely lose track.
Sue
I'm using it as my bedtime reading at the mo. It is a bit 5 pages forward, two back, but as its so factual, it doesn't seem to matter. Gets me off to sleep beautifully. And I keep having dreams about Tasmania to boot!
Old Jan 29th 2006, 11:10 pm
crazy, sexy,cool member

Jessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
I prefer a good ol' thriller or similar

My favs are

Ladykiller - Martina Cole
The Da Vinci Code
The Messiah Code
All of Mark Billinghams books are excellent - Lazybones, Scaredy Cat etc
James Patterson's Alex Cross series.

Fantastic
Have you tried " Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown? (same author who wrote Da Vinci Code. I have read both and thought Angels and Demons was much better. I really enjoyed it.

I noticed you have read a Martina Cole book too, have you read any others because all of her books are brilliant?
Old Jan 29th 2006, 11:15 pm
crazy, sexy,cool member

Jessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by possoms
Hey thats a good deal you've got there

To kill a mockingbird is a brilliant book, and a brilliant film too

I totally agree, its a book that I like to read every couple of years and I never get bored of it. I also love the film and watch it whenever it is on.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

WickedWitchofWest is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OzTennis
I thought it was time to start up one of those threads about what book(s) we are reading at the present time, recommendations etc.

With Australia Day looming up around Christmas time I decided to enter an Australian History phase with my reading and hunted out some books for the coffee table.

I've read an interesting history of Melbourne - John Batman's village (by Agnes Paton Bell) one on Bendigo (by Frank Cusack) - where we lived for 5 years once; moved onto a history of Williamstown where I come from (by Lyn Strahan) and have some Geoffrey Blainey books to re-read (Tyranny of Distance, The Rush that never ended etc). Finally I'll re-read the history of a provincial Victorian town that my brother wrote but I won't say where or by whom to protect my anonymity!!

I've had previous Scottish/British/Irish history phases with my reading incidentally.

OzTennis

Harry Potter 1-6

Emotional Intelligence, Daniel Goleman (great reading)
A House Somewhere, tales of life abroad (light, nice for expats)
In the Winter Dark, Tim Winton (very good thriller)
The three Questions, Jon J. Muth (to read to your children, brilliant)

Old Jan 30th 2006, 1:05 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by webgum
I'm using it as my bedtime reading at the mo. It is a bit 5 pages forward, two back, but as its so factual, it doesn't seem to matter. Gets me off to sleep beautifully. And I keep having dreams about Tasmania to boot!
Is the Fatal Shore a novel or biography?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.