Wikiposts

BE's Book Club!!

Old Jan 27th 2006, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

Polyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud of
Default Re: BE's Book Club!!

Just finishing 'Iron Council' by China Mieville.

Try 'Perdido Street Station' first if interested in grotesque allegory. His first book 'King Rat' is a neat take on the Pied Piper, but lacks the depth and macabre humour of the three following novels ('The Scar' completes the list). Enjoy.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 2:10 am
Running on the spot.

rugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to behold

Hi all,
For all thriller fans i have a large collection of Dean Koontz,Patracia Cornwell,and John Grisham books that I want to move on. Nearly all are 1st edition hardbacks and some are quite old/scare now ( ihave Phantoms by Koontz,1st ed h/b d/j if your interested) not sure about postage costs etc but if you are interested we'll sort something out i'm sure.

If your after a good read try "The painted House" By John Grisham,without doubt this is his best book,not run of the mill courtroom drama but a great story told through the eyes of a dirt poor boy growing up on a cotton farm in the deep south during the depression,a truly great book imo
Old Jan 27th 2006, 2:13 am
G'day Sport

Rick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by OzTennis
I got 2 or 3 of his books in a charity shop but have not started reading any yet. Apparently there is a Scottish connection in the DVC - Rosslyn Chapel. For some reason I have resisted starting it because people say it is too cryptic. I prefer doing the quick rather than the cryptic crosswords for the same reason I guess!

I've read most of Bryce Courtenay's books and they are well worth reading too.

OzTennis
The Divinci code and Angels and Demons are brilliant reads. I've got his other 2 books Digital fortress and can't remember the other one, not started reading either of them yet.
I can also recommend the bone collector and Hells Kitchen by Geoff Deaver.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 2:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
DVC is by nature cryptic but it's written so that every chapter ends on a cliff-hanger and you end up reading on to find the solution to the puzzle. I heard people say the ending was disappointing but I thoroughly enjoyed the book from start to finish.
You've convinced me, I'll start on it when the coffee table is bare!!

OzTennis
Old Jan 27th 2006, 2:32 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

No time to read anything other than psychological stuff at the moment...I am supposed to be working on an academic paper

Posting on BE is a good avoidance strategy though

G
Old Jan 27th 2006, 2:43 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I'm reading the world's shortest book. It's called 'The book of modest Australians'.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 3:21 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

The complete works of Oscar Wilde, for me at the mo
Old Jan 27th 2006, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rick C
The Divinci code and Angels and Demons are brilliant reads. I've got his other 2 books Digital fortress and can't remember the other one, not started reading either of them yet.
I can also recommend the bone collector and Hells Kitchen by Geoff Deaver.
Deception Point was the other one. That's a good one, I recommend. I found Angels and Demons to be a better story than DaVinci Code, but it got a bit wacky at the end. Almost got the feeling Brown had run out of time and just ended it as quick as he could.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by manxfamily
I found Angels and Demons to be a better story than DaVinci Code, but it got a bit wacky at the end. Almost got the feeling Brown had run out of time and just ended it as quick as he could.
That is exactly what I thought, it was crazy at the end
Old Jan 27th 2006, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by possoms
That is exactly what I thought, it was crazy at the end
me too! The whole story was a tad like that, fast jets etc.

I've just brought a load of First Editions off Ebay. Even with postage, you can get a good deal. I got 10 books for 99 cents, with 10 dollars postage.

Great Depression; a great book was The Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck. In my all time top 10 which, roughly, reads something like this

1. Living Dangerously Ran Finnes
2. To The Ends of the Earth Fiennes
3. Shantaram
4. Tom Wolfe The Right Stuff (any of his works)
5. Bear Island, Ice Station Zebra A Maclean
6. Where 8 Bells Toll Hemingway
7. Mrs Nimby and the Rats of NIMH (kid’s book!)
8. Anything by Michael Asher (Soldier and arabist)
9. To Kill a mockingbird
10. The Grapes of Wrath

I find most of what is written now to be complete junk, all airport stuff. Its very rare I can find anything decent. I do like Grisham/the De Vinci books for a light read.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
me too! The whole story was a tad like that, fast jets etc.

I've just brought a load of First Editions off Ebay. Even with postage, you can get a good deal. I got 10 books for 99 cents, with 10 dollars postage.

Great Depression; a great book was The Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck. In my all time top 10 which, roughly, reads something like this

1. Living Dangerously Ran Finnes
2. To The Ends of the Earth Fiennes
3. Shantaram
4. Tom Wolfe The Right Stuff (any of his works)
5. Bear Island, Ice Station Zebra A Maclean
6. Where 8 Bells Toll Hemingway
7. Mrs Nimby and the Rats of NIMH (kid’s book!)
8. Anything by Michael Asher (Soldier and arabist)
9. To Kill a mockingbird
10. The Grapes of Wrath

I find most of what is written now to be complete junk, all airport stuff. Its very rare I can find anything decent. I do like Grisham/the De Vinci books for a light read.
Hey thats a good deal you've got there

To kill a mockingbird is a brilliant book, and a brilliant film too
Old Jan 27th 2006, 10:34 pm
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

G'day,

I am halfway through "The Alchemist" By Paulo Coelho.

Read The Da Vinci Code and what can i say? One of the best book i have read, i can't wait for the movie!!!!

Hoo-Roo
Pedro
Old Jan 28th 2006, 12:18 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I bought this book the other week called 'Sickened' by Julie Gregory.

I found it hard to get stuck in.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I bought this book the other week called 'Sickened' by Julie Gregory.

I found it hard to get stuck in.

The Omega Code by Paul Crouch has been recommended to me from a Dan Brown fan. Claims to be a better storyline.

Anyone read it?
Old Jan 28th 2006, 2:02 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manxfamily
The Omega Code by Paul Crouch has been recommended to me from a Dan Brown fan. Claims to be a better storyline.

Anyone read it?

I havent.

I read another book a while back, cant remember who its by but its called 'Lovely Bones' that was quite disturbing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.