Wikiposts

BE's Book Club!!

Old Jan 27th 2006, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default BE's Book Club!!

I thought it was time to start up one of those threads about what book(s) we are reading at the present time, recommendations etc.

With Australia Day looming up around Christmas time I decided to enter an Australian History phase with my reading and hunted out some books for the coffee table.

I've read an interesting history of Melbourne - John Batman's village (by Agnes Paton Bell) one on Bendigo (by Frank Cusack) - where we lived for 5 years once; moved onto a history of Williamstown where I come from (by Lyn Strahan) and have some Geoffrey Blainey books to re-read (Tyranny of Distance, The Rush that never ended etc). Finally I'll re-read the history of a provincial Victorian town that my brother wrote but I won't say where or by whom to protect my anonymity!!

I've had previous Scottish/British/Irish history phases with my reading incidentally.

OzTennis
Old Jan 27th 2006, 1:39 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BE's Book Club!!

"From Chronic Fatigue Syndrome to the MCG - Alistar Lynch".

For those that don't know, Lynch was one of the best forwards in the AFL in recent times (he retired from playing in 2004). In the mid-nineties, he was struck down by Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, which would see him sleeping for 18 hours per day or more and not being able to do much else. Worse still was that nobody could actually tell him what was wrong with him and how he could fight it. Eventually it was diagnosed as CFS and he learned how to keep it in check, which helped him to 3 AFL premierships with the Brisbane Lions. He wrote the book to hopefully inspire other CFS sufferers to realise that they can fight the affliction and still follow their dreams. Good on him

Then I've got a Maggie Thatcher biog to follow that up, which I expect to be a good read, regardless of whether you are / were a fan of hers or not.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 1:40 am
Blah Blah Blah

Buttockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond repute

Just finished "One Thirteenth of an Elephant" by Denys Peeks. The author's account of life as a POW in the 2ndWW toiling on the Siam-Burma railway for the Japanese. An excellent, if sobering, tale.

Denys Peeks now lives in Perth, WA.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 1:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
I thought it was time to start up one of those threads about what book(s) we are reading at the present time, recommendations etc.

With Australia Day looming up around Christmas time I decided to enter an Australian History phase with my reading and hunted out some books for the coffee table.

I've read an interesting history of Melbourne - John Batman's village (by Agnes Paton Bell) one on Bendigo (by Frank Cusack) - where we lived for 5 years once; moved onto a history of Williamstown where I come from (by Lyn Strahan) and have some Geoffrey Blainey books to re-read (Tyranny of Distance, The Rush that never ended etc). Finally I'll re-read the history of a provincial Victorian town that my brother wrote but I won't say where or by whom to protect my anonymity!!

I've had previous Scottish/British/Irish history phases with my reading incidentally.

OzTennis
I prefer a good ol' thriller or similar

My favs are

Ladykiller - Martina Cole
The Da Vinci Code
The Messiah Code
All of Mark Billinghams books are excellent - Lazybones, Scaredy Cat etc
James Patterson's Alex Cross series.

Fantastic
Old Jan 27th 2006, 1:44 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
The Da Vinci Code
Read The Da Vinci Code recently and thoroughly enjoyed it
Old Jan 27th 2006, 1:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore

The Messiah code is very similar and just as good.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 1:46 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

A Million Little Pieces...coz I lurve the truth that goes with non-fiction ..not..lol
Old Jan 27th 2006, 1:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

"From Chronic Fatigue Syndrome to the MCG - Alistar Lynch".

For those that don't know, Lynch was one of the best forwards in the AFL in recent times (he retired from playing in 2004). In the mid-nineties, he was struck down by Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, which would see him sleeping for 18 hours per day or more and not being able to do much else. Worse still was that nobody could actually tell him what was wrong with him and how he could fight it. Eventually it was diagnosed as CFS and he learned how to keep it in check, which helped him to 3 AFL premierships with the Brisbane Lions. He wrote the book to hopefully inspire other CFS sufferers to realise that they can fight the affliction and still follow their dreams. Good on him

Then I've got a Maggie Thatcher biog to follow that up, which I expect to be a good read, regardless of whether you are / were a fan of hers or not.
That would be an interesting read. Lynch played for the Fitzroy Lions originally as you'll know and he was one of the few players who made the move to Brissie and have a long career with the Bears/Lions. He didn't seem to be much affected by the CFS in his last match was it when he got rubbed out for 'king hitting' his opponent who had been niggling him all match!

OzTennis
Old Jan 27th 2006, 1:49 am
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just started that. Hubby's reading Angels and Demons
Old Jan 27th 2006, 1:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by suzy
I've just started that. Hubby's reading Angels and Demons

Also a good book
Old Jan 27th 2006, 1:54 am
What's happening dudes?

That would be an interesting read. Lynch played for the Fitzroy Lions originally as you'll know and he was one of the few players who made the move to Brissie and have a long career with the Bears/Lions. He didn't seem to be much affected by the CFS in his last match was it when he got rubbed out for 'king hitting' his opponent who had been niggling him all match!

OzTennis
Shame his last match didn't make history (4 in a row).
Old Jan 27th 2006, 1:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I got 2 or 3 of his books in a charity shop but have not started reading any yet. Apparently there is a Scottish connection in the DVC - Rosslyn Chapel. For some reason I have resisted starting it because people say it is too cryptic. I prefer doing the quick rather than the cryptic crosswords for the same reason I guess!

I've read most of Bryce Courtenay's books and they are well worth reading too.

OzTennis
Old Jan 27th 2006, 2:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Shame his last match didn't make history (4 in a row).
Yep, that was the Port Adelaide flag wasn't it? The Lions are entering a challenging phase because the heroes of the 3 flags are not the runners they used to be. Fresh legs will be needed in the team I think for them to challenge next season. I even saw my Bulldogs beating them last season at Telstra Dome!

OzTennis
Old Jan 27th 2006, 2:01 am
What's happening dudes?

I got 2 or 3 of his books in a charity shop but have not started reading any yet. Apparently there is a Scottish connection in the DVC - Rosslyn Chapel. For some reason I have resisted starting it because people say it is too cryptic. I prefer doing the quick rather than the cryptic crosswords for the same reason I guess!

I've read most of Bryce Courtenay's books and they are well worth reading too.

OzTennis
DVC is by nature cryptic but it's written so that every chapter ends on a cliff-hanger and you end up reading on to find the solution to the puzzle. I heard people say the ending was disappointing but I thoroughly enjoyed the book from start to finish.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 2:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

DVC is by nature cryptic but it's written so that every chapter ends on a cliff-hanger and you end up reading on to find the solution to the puzzle. I heard people say the ending was disappointing but I thoroughly enjoyed the book from start to finish.

Me too and I didn't find it cryptic at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.