Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Ben Elton too clever for Australians?

Ben Elton too clever for Australians?

Old Feb 13th 2011, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of
Default Ben Elton too clever for Australians?

Found myself reading the Sunday Telegraph today which I don't usually see. It was pretty awful, but I saw an article about the new Ben Elton show having disastrous ratings and being at risk of being pulled if the second show wasn't an improvement.

Now I'm not a huge Ben Elton fan, but the show was very funny in parts, is recorded live, and was at least original.

There was a supportive review in the SMH the day after which I largely agreed with.

So what's the deal, or was it simply on the wrong channel for the Telegraph's owners?
Old Feb 13th 2011, 6:50 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ben Elton too clever for Australians?

Originally Posted by killerhales
Found myself reading the Sunday Telegraph today which I don't usually see. It was pretty awful, but I saw an article about the new Ben Elton show having disastrous ratings and being at risk of being pulled if the second show wasn't an improvement.

Now I'm not a huge Ben Elton fan, but the show was very funny in parts, is recorded live, and was at least original.

There was a supportive review in the SMH the day after which I largely agreed with.

So what's the deal, or was it simply on the wrong channel for the Telegraph's owners?
Perhaps the thread should be renamed to "Ben Elton too clever for his own good?"
Old Feb 13th 2011, 6:53 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a fan of him but his first show was quite amusing - except the Australian "comics" - they were of the same standard as all the rest.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 7:03 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Ben Elton too clever for Australians?

I think Elton is funniest in print. The quality of his standup has been declining for years.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 7:05 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I'm not a fan of him but his first show was quite amusing - except the Australian "comics" - they were of the same standard as all the rest.
yeap we watched it and i only liked the 'Ben" bits.... i thought it totally spoilt by the sketches in between bits!
Old Feb 13th 2011, 7:08 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't see it, don't want to ... anyone responsible for spawning We Will Rock You does not deserve a chance
Old Feb 13th 2011, 7:10 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam
yeap we watched it and i only liked the 'Ben" bits.... i thought it totally spoilt by the sketches in between bits!
Same here, but it was still one of those I would easily have switched over from. I d think that the Aussie "talent" was pretty average which probably didn't help. But really, what's he trying to achieve? A funny version of Hey Hey? It's Live....so what? He's better off recording the skits and getting them better acted and take his time over it to guarantee better results. He's got the runs on the board to show he can do that very well, while live....hmmmm
Old Feb 13th 2011, 7:11 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Didn't see it, don't want to ... anyone responsible for spawning We Will Rock You does not deserve a chance
Amen to that!

But come on, The Young Ones, Blackadder
Old Feb 13th 2011, 7:15 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Amen to that!

But come on, The Young Ones, Blackadder
He's done some good stuff, I even read one of his 'novels' and I had videos of all his stand up shows but he just strikes me as a smug git these days.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 7:26 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

have you seen it????
Old Feb 13th 2011, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

He's done some good stuff, I even read one of his 'novels' and I had videos of all his stand up shows but he just strikes me as a smug git these days.
He ALWAYS was a smug git... A clever smug git, but a smug git no less
Old Feb 13th 2011, 7:36 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Sam
have you seen it????
Be serious, I'm a fan of Queen's music ... I have seen 'highlights' and I have heard reports from others (also music fans), this is enough for me.

Originally Posted by eddie007
Fair enough, but I'd rather watch Hale And Pace these days
Old Feb 13th 2011, 8:55 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
I think it's OK to be a smug git, arrogant and so forth if in turn you are genuinely funny with it. As others have said, I think he is at his funniest in writing scripts. Not so sure about the novels...

Haven't seen the TV show as I rarely watch telly. Is it on here?
Old Feb 13th 2011, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonyk38
I think it's OK to be a smug git, arrogant and so forth if in turn you are genuinely funny with it. As others have said, I think he is at his funniest in writing scripts. Not so sure about the novels...

Haven't seen the TV show as I rarely watch telly. Is it on here?
Dunno.. Haven't seen him since the eighties...

I happen to like his humour... But i prefer it in print nowadays...
Old Feb 13th 2011, 9:19 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by killerhales

I was really looking forward to it as I like him and usually find his stuff funny. I have to say it was a MASSIVE disappointment, so much so we didn't watch it all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.