Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Been made redundant - now what to do..

Been made redundant - now what to do..

Old Jun 1st 2017, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

Rmeadows is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Been made redundant - now what to do..

Afternoon all

Well I have been in Aus and the Gold Coast for just under a year now

I was a beverage Operations Manager for a major cruise line for 14 years then I was recruited by an Australian company and moved here. Alas a year later the company has been placed into receivaship and as a result I find my self unemployed and with the knock on effects of the visa I only have just over a month to decide what to do

I was wondering if anyone else had been placed into this situation and if they knew what the chances were of finding a new company that was willing to not only provide me employement but is able to sponsor me
Old Jun 2nd 2017, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Been made redundant - now what to do..

You've got 60 days to find out. Remember that your employer is responsible for your fares home, don't let them get away without paying that!
Old Jun 2nd 2017, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

Rmeadows is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks... yes my old employer has already agreed to pay for the flight and also cover a few months rent which is good... I'm just gutted that I will have to leave when I really would love and source another job here
Old Jun 2nd 2017, 9:44 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rmeadows
Thanks... yes my old employer has already agreed to pay for the flight and also cover a few months rent which is good... I'm just gutted that I will have to leave when I really would love and source another job here
Do you qualify for a skilled visa? Might be time to look into putting in a skills assessment and hoping it's positive so you can put in an EOI. In the meantime you can either go home for a few months or continue looking for a potential sponsor. (Bearing in mind that a sponsored 457 visa will never be anything other than temporary)
Old Jun 12th 2017, 4:44 am
Just Joined

browncat is an unknown quantity at this point

I would try the large Hotel chains.

Mantra Hotels, their Head office is on the Gold Coast. They have hotels all over Australia and lots of International staff.
About Us

Rydges is another

https://www.totallyintoit.com.au/hotels/