Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Been here 2 weeks and we've finally got our first spider!!

Wikiposts

Been here 2 weeks and we've finally got our first spider!!

Old Apr 14th 2006, 12:56 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Been here 2 weeks and we've finally got our first spider!!

We arrived on 1st April - moved into our house last Friday and today we've found our first spider trying to get into our house (foolishly because anything that enters dies a horrible death as soon as it inhales my viscious spray!! LOL).

I'm hoping its one of your run of the mill huntsman but if someone could confirm it for me please I'd appreciate it. Its not huge - about 2 inches across probably (obviously including the legs!!).

Cheers all!

Rach xxxx
Attached Thumbnails Been here 2 weeks and we've finally got our first spider!!-our-first-spider.jpg  
Old Apr 14th 2006, 12:57 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Been here 2 weeks and we've finally got our first spider!!

Originally Posted by tygwyn
We arrived on 1st April - moved into our house last Friday and today we've found our first spider trying to get into our house (foolishly because anything that enters dies a horrible death as soon as it inhales my viscious spray!! LOL).

I'm hoping its one of your run of the mill huntsman but if someone could confirm it for me please I'd appreciate it. Its not huge - about 2 inches across probably (obviously including the legs!!).

Cheers all!

Rach xxxx
How are you liking it so far (apart from the spiders)
Old Apr 14th 2006, 1:11 pm

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
How are you liking it so far (apart from the spiders)
Sorry I havent really updated anyone here yet! I'm crap aren't I?

The weathers been great (no surprises there) and everyone has been sooooo friendly. To give you an example - when we arrived at Sydney airport everyone was trying to help us get in touch with our shuttle bus driver. After being used to travelling in Europe so much and getting pestered constantly to buy stuff etc I was ready to tell them to piss off and leave us alone - I then realised that there was absolutely nothing in it for them and that they were literally 'just being helpful'! It takes some getting used to I tell you. Everywhere we go its the same. They want to give advice all the time - brilliant I must say.

We havent been into the city yet but might do over the weekend. Went to the Blue Mountains yesterday - WOW! We are lucky enough to live at the foot of them so I think we'll be there quite a lot. It is absolutely stunning!

The houses are a little tattier than I expected (rental that is) and I find it strange that come night time the life seems to end immediately! Hardly any street lights and barely a sole in sight. Very odd. We walked back from our friends last Saturday night at about 10pm and didnt bump in to one person - wierd!

We've managed to get loads done in the two weeks we've been here and to be honest the systems they have over here make it a lot easier. We've registered with Medicare, registered our daughter with school, moved into the house, arranged our phone line & broadband (only takes a couple of days to sort out broadband here!), bought a car, aussie driving licences, sim cards for the mobiles, etc etc etc! Oh and not forgetting buying a huge barbie and patio set - priorities and all that!

I love the fact that there is a play park on pretty much every corner here and that you see families together in them all the time.

Having said all that its not easy so dont be fooled into thinking it is. The weather is great and it is pretty easy to settle in because you're made so welcome (or at least we have been) but its still a foreign country. Driving isnt too bad but getting used to things like having to register for using certain motorways etc is strange and learning that if there are 3 signs in a row saying a speed camera is close by then its defo gonna get ya!!

If you've got any questions feel free to ask! I'll do an update post soon but have been so busy that I havent had chance.

Cheers

Rach xxxx
Old Apr 14th 2006, 6:42 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I havent really updated anyone here yet! I'm crap aren't I?

The weathers been great (no surprises there) and everyone has been sooooo friendly. To give you an example - when we arrived at Sydney airport everyone was trying to help us get in touch with our shuttle bus driver. After being used to travelling in Europe so much and getting pestered constantly to buy stuff etc I was ready to tell them to piss off and leave us alone - I then realised that there was absolutely nothing in it for them and that they were literally 'just being helpful'! It takes some getting used to I tell you. Everywhere we go its the same. They want to give advice all the time - brilliant I must say.

We havent been into the city yet but might do over the weekend. Went to the Blue Mountains yesterday - WOW! We are lucky enough to live at the foot of them so I think we'll be there quite a lot. It is absolutely stunning!

The houses are a little tattier than I expected (rental that is) and I find it strange that come night time the life seems to end immediately! Hardly any street lights and barely a sole in sight. Very odd. We walked back from our friends last Saturday night at about 10pm and didnt bump in to one person - wierd!

We've managed to get loads done in the two weeks we've been here and to be honest the systems they have over here make it a lot easier. We've registered with Medicare, registered our daughter with school, moved into the house, arranged our phone line & broadband (only takes a couple of days to sort out broadband here!), bought a car, aussie driving licences, sim cards for the mobiles, etc etc etc! Oh and not forgetting buying a huge barbie and patio set - priorities and all that!

I love the fact that there is a play park on pretty much every corner here and that you see families together in them all the time.

Having said all that its not easy so dont be fooled into thinking it is. The weather is great and it is pretty easy to settle in because you're made so welcome (or at least we have been) but its still a foreign country. Driving isnt too bad but getting used to things like having to register for using certain motorways etc is strange and learning that if there are 3 signs in a row saying a speed camera is close by then its defo gonna get ya!!

If you've got any questions feel free to ask! I'll do an update post soon but have been so busy that I havent had chance.

Cheers

Rach xxxx
Glad it`s going well for mate and you seem to be settling in.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry too lazy to check for you, but there's a good link on google.com.au (we have used it several times to confirm presence of huntsman in wheelie bin, huntsman in garage, whitetails everywhere and this weeks special offer.................... female redback in garage :scared: ). Just type spider identification in the search box and you're away. We found the University of Queensland site to be pretty good.

(And to think, one of the reasons I thought Melbourne was a good choice was because none of the dangerous critters lived here!!!)
Old Apr 14th 2006, 7:35 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

This is a really useful site:

http://www.usq.edu.au/spider/index.htm
Old Apr 14th 2006, 8:11 pm
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy

I'm too scared to look at it :scared: :scared:
Old Apr 14th 2006, 8:15 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers all!

Rach xxxx
Its a Wolf spider, very rare that they come inside , but can give a nasty bite ................. mm
Old Apr 14th 2006, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy

I should have used that to check the one I thought was a red back the other day. However, after it had been hit twice, hard, with my book, it was hard to tell it was a spider!
Old Apr 14th 2006, 8:31 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The A Team
I'm too scared to look at it :scared: :scared:
yer wuss! LOL
Old Apr 14th 2006, 8:31 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Originally Posted by thribble
I should have used that to check the one I thought was a red back the other day. However, after it had been hit twice, hard, with my book, it was hard to tell it was a spider!
LOL
Old Apr 14th 2006, 11:40 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers all!

Rach xxxx
Hate to tell you this but it doesn't look like a huntsman to me at all!

Huntsmans have a more roundish sort of body and eyes that remind you of a crab sort of. Infact they sort of look crab like. Not sure what this is but if you can you should catch it and get it identified at your local vet or CALM.

If its a huntsman it's a new one on me.

Where are you?
Old Apr 14th 2006, 11:43 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
Its a Wolf spider, very rare that they come inside , but can give a nasty bite ................. mm
You sure it's not a funnel web? She is in NSW after all and they aren't that big but can be lethal :scared:
Old Apr 14th 2006, 11:56 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
You sure it's not a funnel web? She is in NSW after all and they aren't that big but can be lethal :scared:
100% sure its a wolf spider,not robust enough for a Funnel web.
http://www.scientificpest.com.au/spmpdbsp.html
................ mm
Old Apr 15th 2006, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by mr mover
100% sure its a wolf spider,not robust enough for a Funnel web.
http://www.scientificpest.com.au/spmpdbsp.html
................ mm

Cheers Mr Mover! I'm with you - its defo a Wolf Spider - only a baby one though - SHIT!! :scared: They can give a nasty bite cant they but not lethal - thank christ!!

Cheers for all your replies.

Rach xxxx