British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Basic legal advise needed (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/basic-legal-advise-needed-800169/)

rubbeldiekatz Jun 15th 2013 7:07 am

Basic legal advise needed

Hi all,

I think this is a very simple question to answer, I hope so anyway.

I bumped into somebodies car with a car 2 months ago, no big deal, minor damage.

Now the car I was driving wasnt mine, I told the lady that I will pay for the car to get fixed. It took her 2 months to take it in for a quote which I now have.

She now wants me to give HER the cash and doesnt want to provide me with an invoice from the panel beater as the car hasnt been fixed yet.

Surely I have the right to receive an official invoice and surely Im not required to just hand the $$$ over to her ?

Thanks Guys - have a great weekend

Markus

Siren & Brian Jun 15th 2013 7:50 am

Re: Basic legal advise needed

As long as she gives you a receipt for the money handed over and what it was for. Cant see any problem with that. But without a receipt, no way.

carolinephillips Jun 15th 2013 9:07 am

No invoice, no money. Simples (as the meerkat would say) otherwise it sounds like she is trying to pocket the dosh.

commonwealth Jun 15th 2013 9:57 am

You need to get proof you paid her such and such for full compensation for the car damage.

Bermudashorts Jun 16th 2013 3:14 am

If she wants to pocket the dosh and not get her car fixed I think that is up to her. But just get a receipt for what you hand over exonerating you of any further claims.

Craig Vaughan Jun 16th 2013 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 10758942)
If she wants to pocket the dosh and not get her car fixed I think that is up to her. But just get a receipt for what you hand over exonerating you of any further claims.

I agree. As long as you think the quote is reasonable, its up to her really what she does with the cash.

With that said, i dont think its unfair of you to ask for at least one quote to confirm the amount she is requesting is reasonable.

Either way, definitely get a receipt.

The Bloke Jun 16th 2013 9:37 am

I noticed that your insurance company or motoring club, like RACV or NRMA, wasn't mentioned in your post.
Did you contact them at the time for advice? I am not sure of the ins and outs of damage while you are driving a third parties vehicle, but surely they could at least given you some advice on the procedures, and where you stand legally.

BASHO Jun 18th 2013 11:02 am

You need to be sure that you have in writing a signed statement that the amount you give her is in full and final settlement of the damage claimed for.

You or your solicitor can easily draw this up with the relevant details , her address , vehicle rego etc and have her sign it at the time you give her the money , I would also suggest payment by cheque rather than cash.

mikelincs Jun 18th 2013 11:10 am

Originally Posted by The Bloke (Post 10759200)
I noticed that your insurance company or motoring club, like RACV or NRMA, wasn't mentioned in your post.
Did you contact them at the time for advice? I am not sure of the ins and outs of damage while you are driving a third parties vehicle, but surely they could at least given you some advice on the procedures, and where you stand legally.

You do need to report it to your insurance company, even if you aren't making a claim, not doing so gives them an out to invalidate your insurance, not nice if you do need to make a claim. You should also report ALL fines, even just simple speeding, again failure to do so could make your insurance invalid.