Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Barnaby Joyce Resigns

Barnaby Joyce Resigns

Reply

Old Feb 24th 2018, 12:23 am
  #16  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
moneypenny20's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 62,531
moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barnaby Joyce Resigns

Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
Except none of the above is for you to judge and you assumed a lot.

Perhaps you maybe should thinking about assuming he was no longer in love with his wife and people do meet each other at work.

A lot of very human traits in that.

Isn't it funny. People (left wingers) complain if they are rich (Turnbull) or an adulterer (Joyce) but lying, tasteless scumbags like Shorten (mediscare and union corruption) seem to slide under the radar.

That man really needs to be put into the spotlight. I guess that will only happen if he ever becomes PM and its going to be a terrible ride.
It's ok for me to judge him and his behaviour. He was very public in his judgement of LGBTI folk for months. Constantly telling them that their behaviour was wrong and they weren't allowed to marry.

I don't care if he fell out of love with his wife - happens a lot. Howver he was very big on family values and whilst he admitted he and his wife had separated there was no mention of his bit on the side.

As far as I'm concerned he can **** who he likes but as soon as he's found to be lying to the electorate whilst verbally abusing them all bets are off.

I also could not give a damn what his politics are. I would feel the same if he were Deputy of Labor or any other party, makes no difference.

Had he kept his mouth shut and not given his girlfriend a job he would not be in the position he is now. Had he not put himself forward after being removed from office because of the birth certificate, no one would have given a shit about bis private life. Other than his family obviously.

I do care about Shorten et al however this thread is about Joyce. I don't give a shit how much money people have and I'm not a left winger.
moneypenny20 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th 2018, 7:16 am
  #17  
A modern day warrior
 
Tom Sawyer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Gone West
Posts: 301
Tom Sawyer is a glorious beacon of lightTom Sawyer is a glorious beacon of lightTom Sawyer is a glorious beacon of lightTom Sawyer is a glorious beacon of lightTom Sawyer is a glorious beacon of lightTom Sawyer is a glorious beacon of lightTom Sawyer is a glorious beacon of lightTom Sawyer is a glorious beacon of lightTom Sawyer is a glorious beacon of lightTom Sawyer is a glorious beacon of lightTom Sawyer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Barnaby Joyce Resigns

His position was untenable......not because of the affair, but more his hypocrisy and denial around it, and that is before you get to the potential nepotism of getting her another job and the possible expenses for "business" trips that are still to be looked into. He appears to want to blame everyone else for the fall out rather than himself. Maybe if he'd been more contrite and acknowledge his failings against his own professed standards, he could have survived. It fails the pub test.

It all just feeds in the public's view of politicians. The conservative wing of the Liberals are hamstringing Turnbull and driving them further to the right. I think they set MT up with the "shagging ban" (quite how they are going to police that???) as it is the kind of thing Tony and his crew would say they'd support and then watch the ridicule as Malcolm carried it out. And then you get fools like "Big Gun George C from QLD" obviously with no common sense or decency.

Labor are beholden to the Unions with Shorten waiting for his next dictate to be provided and keep them economically un-electable in the view of most people. Their policy on negative gearing, I think, is their only economically effective policy that could have some merit and do something to bring house prices more into the land of affordability. But as for anything else....I'd struggle to list another policy that is progressive and effective instead of being based on dogma of us and them.

So......I'm left in the middle, looking left and right thinking which bunch of fools are going to be the least damaging overall instead of providing some genuine inspiration and capability for managing the country.
Tom Sawyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th 2018, 2:08 am
  #18  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Perth
Posts: 5,449
the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barnaby Joyce Resigns

Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
Having a mistress and getting her pregnant is his business, not yours, nor your beloved Labor party.

You guys really know how to waste so much shit.

Mediscare drama wastage again.

So shallow, so unproductive, what a loser lot the Labor party are.
You know who the losers really are, being fully signed up members to the destruction of Australia brigade, Which is fine in itself, but you lot want to take the rest of us down with you in your idiotic ideological garbage which sprouts on every front. Not even a ALP fan for the most part, by the way....
the troubadour is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th 2018, 2:16 am
  #19  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Perth
Posts: 5,449
the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barnaby Joyce Resigns

Originally Posted by Amazulu View Post
The Victorian-era moralizing of the modern left and SJWs is a wonder to behold

They are destroying the hard fought for freedoms that we all enjoy - unless those freedoms pertain to minorities, those with gender issues, muslims etc of course. Then it's all hunky dory

Bizarre times
Clearly finding politicians accountable let alone transparent doesn't find favour with you. Nothing about freedoms but all about hypocrisy. No wonder why large segments of population find no connection with politics. A very dangerous development in itself. No don't use minorities as a scape goat, politicians already do that (not just the left, get over your constant bias and look at the big picture, it is predictable and not a little boring)


One thing politics is not today is hunky dory.
the troubadour is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th 2018, 2:23 am
  #20  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,759
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barnaby Joyce Resigns

Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
You know who the losers really are, being fully signed up members to the destruction of Australia brigade, Which is fine in itself, but you lot want to take the rest of us down with you in your idiotic ideological garbage which sprouts on every front. Not even a ALP fan for the most part, by the way....
No one ever admits they vote ALP. That's the really sad part for future of the ALP. ....thank goodness.
Beoz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th 2018, 2:30 am
  #21  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Perth
Posts: 5,449
the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barnaby Joyce Resigns

Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
His position was untenable......not because of the affair, but more his hypocrisy and denial around it, and that is before you get to the potential nepotism of getting her another job and the possible expenses for "business" trips that are still to be looked into. He appears to want to blame everyone else for the fall out rather than himself. Maybe if he'd been more contrite and acknowledge his failings against his own professed standards, he could have survived. It fails the pub test.

It all just feeds in the public's view of politicians. The conservative wing of the Liberals are hamstringing Turnbull and driving them further to the right. I think they set MT up with the "shagging ban" (quite how they are going to police that???) as it is the kind of thing Tony and his crew would say they'd support and then watch the ridicule as Malcolm carried it out. And then you get fools like "Big Gun George C from QLD" obviously with no common sense or decency.

Labor are beholden to the Unions with Shorten waiting for his next dictate to be provided and keep them economically un-electable in the view of most people. Their policy on negative gearing, I think, is their only economically effective policy that could have some merit and do something to bring house prices more into the land of affordability. But as for anything else....I'd struggle to list another policy that is progressive and effective instead of being based on dogma of us and them.

So......I'm left in the middle, looking left and right thinking which bunch of fools are going to be the least damaging overall instead of providing some genuine inspiration and capability for managing the country.
It is increasingly hard for progressive thinkers in this age of deceit and unaccountability, a biased media, largely curtailing debate on matters of national importance. An ABC that has had its wings increasingly clipped and ever more conforming. An ever narrow agenda at play that suits a small minority of the population. I agree ALP policy on NG is one of the few policies worth supporting, but on the whole nothing to look at there.


Worth having a look at the Sustainable Australia Party though to at least voice dissent at the policy being conducted and supported by all other parties.
the troubadour is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th 2018, 2:36 am
  #22  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Perth
Posts: 5,449
the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barnaby Joyce Resigns

Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
No one ever admits they vote ALP. That's the really sad part for future of the ALP. ....thank goodness.
I have voted ALP and happily admit it. I have voted Conservatives happily admit it. Neither side deserve much consideration as things stand. But the so called Libs least of all....Both are set to sell as down the drain but ALP win out due to tax reductions to Big Business which will further set the country in decline...
the troubadour is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th 2018, 2:49 am
  #23  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,759
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barnaby Joyce Resigns

Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
I have voted ALP and happily admit it. I have voted Conservatives happily admit it. Neither side deserve much consideration as things stand. But the so called Libs least of all....Both are set to sell as down the drain but ALP win out due to tax reductions to Big Business which will further set the country in decline...
The way the 2 sided political system lends itself for a soap opera. The Libs are not very good at soap opera.

What the Libs are way better at is economic management for all. Always have been. The ALP are terrible.

I don't agree with NG. Bad investments should never been sponsored by the taxpayer. But its there and many industries make a living from it. Hundreds of thousands of tradies for a start. You do realise the ALP target NG because they claim the wealthy predominantly use NG? This is false and designed to get you into one of your rants.

Wealthy people don't need NG. Wealthy people know its far better financially to positive gear. Negative gearing helps Mr and Mrs Middle, those who aren't necessarily in a position to positively gear.
Beoz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th 2018, 3:12 am
  #24  
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs
Thread Starter
 
GarryP's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,181
GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barnaby Joyce Resigns

Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
No one ever admits they vote ALP. That's the really sad part for future of the ALP. ....thank goodness.
Actually, giving the voting system in Australia it's a bit of a wrong viewpoint. If you have any sense you'll order your votes - and generally you wouldn't be putting either Labor or the coalition top of your list. You are better off picking smaller parties, without the same corrupt taskmasters, who might actually listen and act in the best interests of Australia.

In general the gruesome twosome would be towards middle/bottom of the list - above the outright raving loonies, but below the candidates that actually want to represent your views.

As for what actually happens, here are the first preferences from the last election :
Code:
Liberal                3,882,905 28.67 -3.35   
Liberal National Party 1,153,736  8.52 -0.40   
The Nationals            624,555  4.61 +0.32   

Australian Labor Party 4,702,296 34.73 +1.35
The Greens             1,385,650 10.23 +1.58
which suggests that
  1. too many people vote dumbly
  2. it's about the same percentage level of dumb first preferences between Labor and the coalition
  3. if the Greens and Labor could come to an accord, they could lock the coalition out.
Actually, thinking about it, it mightn't be a bad move to ensure all votes are 'below the line' by saying that if you have gone to the trouble of ranking each candidate, you have paid more attention than most, and therefore should have your vote counted twice.
GarryP is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th 2018, 9:21 am
  #25  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,759
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barnaby Joyce Resigns

Originally Posted by GarryP View Post
Actually, giving the voting system in Australia it's a bit of a wrong viewpoint. If you have any sense you'll order your votes - and generally you wouldn't be putting either Labor or the coalition top of your list. You are better off picking smaller parties, without the same corrupt taskmasters, who might actually listen and act in the best interests of Australia.

In general the gruesome twosome would be towards middle/bottom of the list - above the outright raving loonies, but below the candidates that actually want to represent your views.

As for what actually happens, here are the first preferences from the last election :
Code:
Liberal                3,882,905 28.67 -3.35   
Liberal National Party 1,153,736  8.52 -0.40   
The Nationals            624,555  4.61 +0.32   

Australian Labor Party 4,702,296 34.73 +1.35
The Greens             1,385,650 10.23 +1.58
which suggests that
  1. too many people vote dumbly
  2. it's about the same percentage level of dumb first preferences between Labor and the coalition
  3. if the Greens and Labor could come to an accord, they could lock the coalition out.
Actually, thinking about it, it mightn't be a bad move to ensure all votes are 'below the line' by saying that if you have gone to the trouble of ranking each candidate, you have paid more attention than most, and therefore should have your vote counted twice.
Its a point, perhaps we need a fresh face, a fresh party. I am not sure a greens / labor coalition could do that, certainly with their current leaders in place. A dissection of the LNP might be more likely to pull many traditional labor voters over.
Beoz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th 2018, 9:34 am
  #26  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Hill overlooking the SE Melbourne suburbs
Posts: 16,495
BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barnaby Joyce Resigns

Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
Except none of the above is for you to judge and you assumed a lot.

Perhaps you maybe should thinking about assuming he was no longer in love with his wife and people do meet each other at work.

A lot of very human traits in that.

Isn't it funny. People (left wingers) complain if they are rich (Turnbull) or an adulterer (Joyce) but lying, tasteless scumbags like Shorten (mediscare and union corruption) seem to slide under the radar.

That man really needs to be put into the spotlight. I guess that will only happen if he ever becomes PM and its going to be a terrible ride.
Have to agree. I gave a real problem with Shorten
who I think is really quite a risk. He will straightface anything to get elected..I am amazed the average battler would support him. This whole Qld mine and inner city greens seat a case in point. Labour has a problem as a blue collar worker party on one hand and a sort of 'leftish' promotion us style Democratic liberalism on the other.At least the Liberals support tradies, small business and large business: if you are productive you are supported (what's not to like?)

Relationship breakups amd meeting people at work happens. But there is a need for boundaries somewhere; generally around appointments and cash.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Feb 25th 2018 at 9:36 am.
BadgeIsBack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th 2018, 8:05 pm
  #27  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,759
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barnaby Joyce Resigns

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack View Post
Have to agree. I gave a real problem with Shorten
who I think is really quite a risk. He will straightface anything to get elected..I am amazed the average battler would support him. This whole Qld mine and inner city greens seat a case in point. Labour has a problem as a blue collar worker party on one hand and a sort of 'leftish' promotion us style Democratic liberalism on the other.At least the Liberals support tradies, small business and large business: if you are productive you are supported (what's not to like?)

Relationship breakups amd meeting people at work happens. But there is a need for boundaries somewhere; generally around appointments and cash.
Labor really have no chance while the scumbag is in power. They really need to swap him out for Plibersek now.

I was watching that 60 minutes thing on the NZ PM. Is she a marketing machine or what?

I was thinking though, if Julie Bishop got pregnant, Shorten and his team of clowns would be all over her. "Unfit to be an MP" would be the cry. That's the type of scum tactics Shorten uses. He's got nothing else in the arsenal.
Beoz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th 2018, 8:42 pm
  #28  
Frequent Flyer Member
 
bcworld's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 10,912
bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barnaby Joyce Resigns

Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
Labor really have no chance while the scumbag is in power.
I don't see the attraction in Shorten either...but this statement makes no sense. At the last election he took 14 seats off a first term coalition government and 49.5%+ of the 2PP. And the polls have only improved for Labor since. As it stands he's very much on track to win power.
bcworld is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th 2018, 9:52 pm
  #29  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,759
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barnaby Joyce Resigns

Originally Posted by bcworld View Post
I don't see the attraction in Shorten either...but this statement makes no sense. At the last election he took 14 seats off a first term coalition government and 49.5%+ of the 2PP. And the polls have only improved for Labor since. As it stands he's very much on track to win power.
Shorten's polling as preferred leader is still very low and that shouldn't be the case when you can sit back and do nothing. We don't vote for the leader now do we ......... or do we? As I said, for Labor to really do any damage they need a new leader. Might be time for Plibersek to take control.

I do remember the US election. Where was Hillary before election day? Brexit, how was that polling?
Beoz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th 2018, 10:03 pm
  #30  
Frequent Flyer Member
 
bcworld's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 10,912
bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barnaby Joyce Resigns

Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
Where was Hillary before election day? Brexit, how was that polling?
Hillary was leading the popular vote by about 3%. In the end she won the popular vote by about 2%. The outcome of Brexit is in line with many of the polls...they were a 50/50 toss up as to which side was in front.
bcworld is offline  
Reply With Quote

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement