Wikiposts

Bank Account in Oz

Old May 13th 2008, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Russ_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really nice
Default Bank Account in Oz

Can anyone tell me if i could open a bank account from ireland before i arrive in oz and if i can deposit any money into it before i arrive?

Old May 13th 2008, 8:59 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank Account in Oz

It can be done, do a search, there was plenty of threads on this one, and plenty of threads on what bank is worse than the next. Here is a for-instance:
http://www.westpac.com.au/internet/p...igrant+Banking

NJ
Old May 14th 2008, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Russ_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really nice

Originally Posted by newjersey
It can be done, do a search, there was plenty of threads on this one, and plenty of threads on what bank is worse than the next. Here is a for-instance:
http://www.westpac.com.au/internet/p...igrant+Banking

NJ
thanks for that..

would you recommend westpac? are they a decent outfit?

just had a look at the website and notice they charge $5/month for a current account..is this the norm out there for banks to charge??
Old May 14th 2008, 7:48 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Russ_Sarah
thanks for that..

would you recommend westpac? are they a decent outfit?

just had a look at the website and notice they charge $5/month for a current account..is this the norm out there for banks to charge??
Basically yes. Most banks charge a monthly fee, just check to see what the other charges are and if there is anything else included.

HSBC don't charge a monthly fee but have VERY limited branches and I seem to always end up in the branch for things I need to do that can't be transacted on the phone (bankers cheques etc) so that wouldn't sit well with me.
Old May 14th 2008, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Centurion
Basically yes. Most banks charge a monthly fee, just check to see what the other charges are and if there is anything else included.

HSBC don't charge a monthly fee but have VERY limited branches and I seem to always end up in the branch for things I need to do that can't be transacted on the phone (bankers cheques etc) so that wouldn't sit well with me.
might anyone know which bank has the best "internet banking" facility?
Old May 14th 2008, 10:32 am
22B
BE Enthusiast

22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future

We opened our Westpac account from the UK and have now been using them here in Aus for over a year........... can't fault them or their internet banking.

Btw, I have never paid any charges - most of them are only incurred if you 'break the rules', e.g., a minimum balance on your current account, or use of other banks' cashpoints.

[ One other thing to be aware of - until you actually become an Aus taxpayer (which is generally the moment you cross the immigration line at the airport), the interest on your account(s) is classed as 'foreign' and is taxed at 45% - make sure you tell your bank as soon as you arrive to make sure you aren't paying too much tax. ]
Old May 15th 2008, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 22B
[ One other thing to be aware of - until you actually become an Aus taxpayer (which is generally the moment you cross the immigration line at the airport), the interest on your account(s) is classed as 'foreign' and is taxed at 45% - make sure you tell your bank as soon as you arrive to make sure you aren't paying too much tax. ]
I don't think that's right. If you are not tax resident in Oz, you have a 10% withholding tax deducted from your interest. If you are tax resident but haven't provided the bank with your TRN they deduct 45%. If you have provided your TRN, they don't deduct anything.
Old May 15th 2008, 12:40 am
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

I've read on here that citibank are a good one too!
Old May 15th 2008, 1:06 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 22B
Btw, I have never paid any charges - most of them are only incurred if you 'break the rules', e.g., a minimum balance on your current account, or use of other banks' cashpoints.
Yes, because that's such a heinous crime against the bank you're with.

Cititbank don't charge any fees for using anybody elses ATMs, or for anything else in fact. I can't recommend them more highly. They have been excellent, and I am pleased that I have moved to bank with them.

S

Last edited by Swerv-o; May 15th 2008 at 1:11 am.