Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

BANGLADESHI DISASTER.

BANGLADESHI DISASTER.

Old May 8th 2013, 10:10 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default BANGLADESHI DISASTER.

Has just passed 800,truely staggering n heartbreaking,please spare a thought,there but for the grace of life go you n i.
Old May 8th 2013, 10:17 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BANGLADESHI DISASTER.

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Has just passed 800,truely staggering n heartbreaking,please spare a thought,there but for the grace of life go you n i.
It is horrifying, every report I read the toll gets higher. Heartbreakingly sad, and I can't help thinking that every one of those people left so many others who loved them and will grieve for them.
Old May 8th 2013, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

The real cost of cheap clothing. I wonder how many people would be happy paying the increased price for more ethically sound manufacturing?
Old May 9th 2013, 12:43 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isgraham
The real cost of cheap clothing. I wonder how many people would be happy paying the increased price for more ethically sound manufacturing?
There's nothing stopping people buying "ethically sound" clothing if they wish to do so.

Whilst this whole thing is a terrible tragedy it's not cheap clothes that caused it it was diabolical/non existent building regulations.
Old May 9th 2013, 1:22 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
There's nothing stopping people buying "ethically sound" clothing if they wish to do so.

Whilst this whole thing is a terrible tragedy it's not cheap clothes that caused it it was diabolical/non existent building regulations.
I agree - nobody is forced to buy cheap clothes. Where's the blame on the Bangledeshi government/authorities in all this?

I see that one of BE's darling 'superior' UK retailers, Primark sourced garments from a factory in this building. What cost those GBPeso1 t-shirts?
Old May 9th 2013, 3:12 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
It is horrifying, every report I read the toll gets higher. Heartbreakingly sad, and I can't help thinking that every one of those people left so many others who loved them and will grieve for them.
A few things to understand:
  • The population of Bangladesh is 160m in an area smaller than that of Victoria. It's basically all around sea level, and gets hit by monsoon and typoon.
  • Everyone except the 1% are extremely poor, all agencies are corrupt, and realistically, people are disposable. Actually it's more than that, people are a problem.
  • When China was in the early stage of growth it took many of the clothes manufacturing contracts from Bangladesh, depressing the industry and the economy and closing factories. Now they have moved on to making high value goods, those contracts are moving back, and factories are being expanded to cope.
  • Couple the corruption, the growth and the disposable populous, and people will get crammed into the cheapest building, themselves built by the cheapest workers - and everyone will skim from the top, bottom and sides.
  • 'Standards', whether Bangladesh government, western brand labels, or factory owner - are unlikely to make much difference, even if they were raised - someone would skim money off by doing a cheap job and swearing blind they had done everything to standard.
  • If you took the contracts away, you'd just have more workers starving and out of work.
Old May 9th 2013, 3:37 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
  • The population of Bangladesh is 160m in an area smaller than that of Victoria. It's basically all around sea level, and gets hit by monsoon and typoon.
  • Everyone except the 1% are extremely poor, all agencies are corrupt, and realistically, people are disposable. Actually it's more than that, people are a problem.
  • When China was in the early stage of growth it took many of the clothes manufacturing contracts from Bangladesh, depressing the industry and the economy and closing factories. Now they have moved on to making high value goods, those contracts are moving back, and factories are being expanded to cope.
  • Couple the corruption, the growth and the disposable populous, and people will get crammed into the cheapest building, themselves built by the cheapest workers - and everyone will skim from the top, bottom and sides.
  • 'Standards', whether Bangladesh government, western brand labels, or factory owner - are unlikely to make much difference, even if they were raised - someone would skim money off by doing a cheap job and swearing blind they had done everything to standard.
  • If you took the contracts away, you'd just have more workers starving and out of work.
Some excellent points here. Also, it's worth remembering that the terrible conditions described in Bangladesh were experienced by British workers during the industrial revolution, as Britain transformed from agrarian to industrial power. It's something all first world countries went through on their way up.
Old May 9th 2013, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by renth

The lack of regulations and employment laws is what makes them cheaper than we can make. The cost of clothing produced here means that in fact many people don't have the luxury of choosing the ethical option. In my case I buy cheap because actually I don't give a shit who has to die or what kind of conditions they have to work in. They have the jobs and I support unemployed people through my taxes. That's the choice we all seem to have made.
Old May 9th 2013, 8:23 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

None of which makes it any less sad for the families involved.
Old May 9th 2013, 9:46 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

My niece is a Dr, working for WHO. She's worked in some of the worlds poorest countries and for the most part thought the best of them.

Her view of Bangladesh was that it was an irredeemable shithole that should be allowed to sink into the Bay of Bengal. It seems to have nothing going for it whatsoever.
Old May 9th 2013, 11:40 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
My niece is a Dr, working for WHO. She's worked in some of the worlds poorest countries and for the most part thought the best of them.

Her view of Bangladesh was that it was an irredeemable shithole that should be allowed to sink into the Bay of Bengal. It seems to have nothing going for it whatsoever.
Interesting, I have a friend who worked there for a few years and really enjoyed it, said the people were great. Problem is it is all so low lying that if/when the sea level rises, even by a small amount, the whole place will be underwater.
Old May 9th 2013, 11:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I agree this is far worse than the fact internet shopping is crap in Australia.
We count our blessings... RIP.
Old May 10th 2013, 6:51 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Has just passed 800,truely staggering...
Is now standing at 1035, with probably more to find.

As my friend there says, there is an election due in Dec, and with the unrest and financial disquiet - its likely that the government will be forced to do something on the issue - although practically useful approaches are thin on the ground.
Old May 10th 2013, 8:26 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Is now standing at 1035, with probably more to find.

As my friend there says, there is an election due in Dec, and with the unrest and financial disquiet - its likely that the government will be forced to do something on the issue - although practically useful approaches are thin on the ground.
Something has to be done,but i doubt it will,unbelievable loss of life.
Old May 10th 2013, 10:09 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Theres a report of recent fire in another factory.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.