Wikiposts

Bag searches

Old Apr 8th 2010, 12:57 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bag searches

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Dean - sorry, you're wrong. The check is a condition of entry, and it is nothing to do with search warrants or police powers.
Actually Lapin, search powers are one of those subjects that gets covered in fine detail by any copper that goes through the Police academy and my advice is exactly what I was taught when I was in the Police and they covered bag searching by shops. (I was in Vic Pol BTW, not in the UK cop shop).

Bag searches
If a store clearly displays a sign before you enter asking you to display the contents of your shopping bag, you accept the conditions of entry into the store; but you do not have to agree to show the contents of your bag.

If however when asked, you say no:

* you can be asked to leave
* the proprietor can refuse to sell you any goods, or
* the police could be called if the proprietor believes you have committed an offence.
The above is correct. In fact, even if you refuse to show your bag the shop owner can't even hold you until the Police arrive. They don't have arrest powers.

NB also tangentially that it's not only police officers that can get authority from the court to search property, private parties also can in some cases - but that has nothing to do with bag checks.
For private parties to get a search warrant they would have to apply to a court and have an exceptionally good reason for it to be granted.

Last edited by Deancm; Apr 8th 2010 at 1:01 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:59 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Deanmc - it's great that you know about the police's powers to search people in certain circumstances. I'm very proud of you. That sort of knowledge is very useful. Unfortunately, it's completely irrelevant to the situation under discussion. It's a total red herring.

Even if you refuse to show your bag the shop owner can't even hold you until the Police arrive. They don't have arrest powers.
is what I said earlier:
The worst they can do is tell you to leave and not come back.
which you called "wrong".

Can you please go away and work out exactly what you're disagreeing with me about before you disagree with me?
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:10 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
I was stunned when I was on hols in Aus and got asked to show my bag. At that point I hadn't realised it was common practice.

I think it will always be difficult for Brits as we associate it with being seen as criminals.

To the Aussies it's just part of life - the same as we don't think twice about being on candid camera here in the UK every time we enter a shop.
I'd hate to come to Oz and then get branded a criminal ... I've paid for my loaf of Sunblest.

(Bag Searching) Doesn't bother me, I do open my flies too and let them have a gander in there while they are at it.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:15 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I'd hate to come to Oz and then get branded a criminal ... I've paid for my loaf of Sunblest.

(Bag Searching) Doesn't bother me, I do open my flies too and let them have a gander in there while they are at it.
Actually I see no reason to get uptight about it... What is the big deal? Don't sweat the small stuff, people are dying of hunger in the third world and expats are getting their panties all wrapped around their nuts about someone checking their bag???
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:19 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
Actually I see no reason to get uptight about it... What is the big deal? Don't sweat the small stuff, people are dying of hunger in the third world and expats are getting their panties all wrapped around their nuts about someone checking their bag???
Precisely ... think of the children ... think of those poor <insert natural disaster victims here> ... think of the people that still have CRT TVs ... think of people that have just bought HUGE TVs and now feel compelled to get something with "3D" ... actually, laugh at them ... THINK of anyone that has just bought an iPad and then discovered it can't connect to their Wi-Fi network and replacing a dodgy battery will cost them a kidney ... think, if you will, of the poor sods that get by without Foxtel ... the humanity, the suffering, sometimes it is all too much to bear.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

Your standards are too high, milady. Bogan stores are Bi-Lo, Go-Lo, Supercheap Auto and Dan Murphy's. Coles and Woolies are just supermarkets. K-Mart - well, I'll give you that one. Also had it in Harvey Norman - "Home of Polyester".

The bag check is a condition of the licence (permission) to enter the property. The worst they can do is tell you to leave and not come back.
I think we need a clear listing of bogan stores here. People claim to have been bag searched in Big W, Target, K-mart, Woolies and Harvey Norman. All of these are bogan stores (although in the case of Harvey Norman I will admit there's not much non-bogan comeptition).

Other people claim to have been searched in Coles which is generally not a bogan store, so I can only assume such incidents took place in bogan suburbs and hence the people being searched are also bogans.

Dan Murphy's is another case where the boganicity of individual stores is dependant on their location.

The confounding factor in all of this is that some posters clearly look like shoplifters.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:28 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been "bagged" in Kmart a couple of times and once in Big w. Know what I do? I smile, say no problem and ask how their day has been. I see no reason to give someone being paid $15 an hour, a hard time for doing their job. Maybe some of you should direct your indignation at the right target next time?
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:31 pm
Mostly Harmless

I've been "bagged" in Kmart a couple of times and once in Big w. Know what I do? I smile, say no problem and ask how their day has been. I see no reason to give someone being paid $15 an hour, a hard time for doing their job. Maybe some of you should direct your indignation at the right target next time?
How about cold callers? I know they get paid a pittance for trying to keep themselves in toilet paper but surely they deserve all the vitriolic abuse you can muster?
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

BigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Margaret3
i couldnt care less, the poor bugger on the door is just doing as asked i always open my bag and have a pleasant conversation, if i wanna make a deal of it i'll write to the management
I do that too however there is this right bitch who Im sure just wants to see what you have in your bag, she is shocking with the kids they have to open every single zip in their bags even their lunch boxes, when we walk away I say to the kids, good job we put the stuff in my less than A4 bag innit.

We were in over the easter weekend, my duaghter friend gave me a little choccie easter egg, so before I went in to Big W I stuck it in beside my dvd's from Sanity, when we were leaving she asked to see in the Sanity bag, which is less that A4 size I might add, so I obliged, she checked the receipt with the dvd's and then said did you buy that here, wheres the docket...pointing at the wee egg in the bottom of the bag, I said no I was given it as a gift, well can you get the docket to prove it, I said how about your get fcked and walked off. I rang up the management and said that she is the rudest bitch out and she is harrassing the customers, she has since been taken off door duty.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:56 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 -&amp;gt;

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Deanmc - it's great that you know about the police's powers to search people in certain circumstances. I'm very proud of you. That sort of knowledge is very useful. Unfortunately, it's completely irrelevant to the situation under discussion. It's a total red herring.
I would disagree in a thread entitled Bag Searches.

Because in essence he is saying the only people who can search you are the Police. A shop staff member cannot insist to search you.

The law (Victorian)states clearly that you can be searched if you give your consent. Hence the reason for the signs , so by entering the show you are giving consent. However they still need to ask you (you may have missed the sign) and you can still say no.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 4:01 pm

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigH68
We were in over the easter weekend, my duaghter friend gave me a little choccie easter egg, so before I went in to Big W I stuck it in beside my dvd's from Sanity, when we were leaving she asked to see in the Sanity bag, which is less that A4 size I might add, so I obliged, she checked the receipt with the dvd's and then said did you buy that here, wheres the docket...pointing at the wee egg in the bottom of the bag, I said no I was given it as a gift, well can you get the docket to prove it, I said how about your get fcked and walked off. I rang up the management and said that she is the rudest bitch out and she is harrassing the customers, she has since been taken off door duty.
Jesus that's shocking...

I would love to meet someone like that. It is never your task to prove your innocence in these cases.

In general if they are quick and glancing I don't mind the search but checking reciepts is a crock.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 4:03 pm

I agree its the case we just heard re the egg , that just would send me off. Otherwise its a little dance that's not too bad.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 4:21 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zambia
the only people who can search you are the Police.
No-one has said or suggested the opposite anywhere on this thread, which is why it's a red herring.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 4:37 pm
Account Closed

Can you please go away and work out exactly what you're disagreeing with me about before you disagree with me?
Dean - sorry, you're wrong. The check is a condition of entry, and it is nothing to do with search warrants or police powers
This is what I am disagreeing with you about. It might make a bit more sense if they checked bags on entry but they don't and as I said previously, the "condition of entry" isn't worth the piece of paper it is written on.

BTW, bag searches have eveything to do with search powers because a false search will leave the shop owner up shit creek if a preson decides to take legal action.

Last edited by Deancm; Apr 8th 2010 at 4:46 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 4:40 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Zambia
I would disagree in a thread entitled Bag Searches.

Because in essence he is saying the only people who can search you are the Police. A shop staff member cannot insist to search you.

The law (Victorian)states clearly that you can be searched if you give your consent. Hence the reason for the signs , so by entering the show you are giving consent. However they still need to ask you (you may have missed the sign) and you can still say no.
That is exactly what I am saying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.