Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Bad Backward British Beuracracy(sic)

Bad Backward British Beuracracy(sic)

Old Jan 16th 2008, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bad Backward British Beuracracy(sic)

Just applied for a Brit passport for eldest daughter. Got form from British Consulate in Canberra online.

The form's instructions/guidance notes specifying documents to be included are *completely* contradicted by those indicated in another ''checklist'' elsewhere listed on the page - which detail more documents, some of which seem riduculous.

As my wife said, Australian beuracracy with regard to hatches, matches and despatches (and passports) is so much easier and efficient. Even the websites are better.

I've found UK govt sites to be almost primitive. So much for ''Best of British Breed''(!)

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jan 16th 2008 at 9:50 am.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 10:18 am
KLF
What Time is Love

KLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Bad Backward British Beuracracy(sic)

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Just applied for a Brit passport for eldest daughter. Got form from British Consulate in Canberra online.

The form's instructions/guidance notes specifying documents to be included are *completely* contradicted by those indicated in another ''checklist'' elsewhere listed on the page - which detail more documents, some of which seem riduculous.

As my wife said, Australian beuracracy with regard to hatches, matches and despatches (and passports) is so much easier and efficient. Even the websites are better.

I've found UK govt sites to be almost primitive. So much for ''Best of British Breed''(!)
Include some links then so we can all see.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 10:37 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KLF
Include some links then so we can all see.

May i assist ?
Attached Thumbnails Bad Backward British Beuracracy(sic)-links-break.jpg-727469.jpg  
Old Jan 16th 2008, 11:18 am
KLF
What Time is Love

KLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to behold

As you say you have applied for the passport the procedure couldn't have been that tricky. I think you're both just having a moan because you can.

The process seems quite straight forward to me. What exactly is/are/were your problem(s)? Is this a renewal or a 'first time' application? Either way it's quite self explanatory.

Do exactly what it says on the tin, in this case the application form and the checklist you mention and you can't go wrong. How hard can that be?

Since when has bureaucracy been efficient?

So much for the ''Best of British Breed''. What are you going on about?

Thank **** the Australian government has taken the lead
Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering why you need to get your child a U.K passport when she's a born Aussie, your wife's an Aussie and for all intents and purposes, you appear to be fully "Aussified"?

Couldn't the child travel in and out of the UK on an Aussie passport?
Old Jan 16th 2008, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

What I like about Aussie documentation requirements, is that they usually want copies.

Before I came here I had to update my UK drivers licence as I wanted a photo one to bring. I sent several combinations of docs that were on the list, and had them returned three times for various reasons. No way was I going to put my passport in the post, with the visa which cost me much blood and tears, so I drove in to the nearest office, sat in line for hours, had the document stamped that they had seen the passport, only to have the application sent back yet again, asking me to send the passport.
I managed in the end by sending an old passport, which was accepted. I was convinced they were having a good old laugh about it all, but of course it's just inefficiency on a ridiculous scale.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 9:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Trust me the Aussies are as bad at times. My ATM card expiry date is next week. In order to get a new ATM card - not a credit/debit card, just purely ATM, I have been told I need to produce 100 points of ID AGAIN, and fill in all the original forms AGAIN, and do it all in person at the branch my account is
at. Bear in mind this is not a new account it's been running for nearly 6 years.

And don't even get me started on Australia Post........
Old Jan 16th 2008, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

Is that the same for all banks? If I had to repeat the whole procedure I would be considering doing it at another bank.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Simpleton is just really niceSimpleton is just really niceSimpleton is just really niceSimpleton is just really niceSimpleton is just really niceSimpleton is just really niceSimpleton is just really niceSimpleton is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Could it possibly be worse than Royal Mail?!
Old Jan 16th 2008, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Trust me the Aussies are as bad at times. My ATM card expiry date is next week. In order to get a new ATM card - not a credit/debit card, just purely ATM, I have been told I need to produce 100 points of ID AGAIN, and fill in all the original forms AGAIN, and do it all in person at the branch my account is
at. Bear in mind this is not a new account it's been running for nearly 6 years.

I've always been sent a new one in the post - pin sent separately...
Old Jan 17th 2008, 12:44 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

I've been very unimpressed by Aussie bureaucracy so far. So much form filling over and over and over...
Old Jan 17th 2008, 1:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I recently applied for Australian citizenship. I went to do the test and before you can take it they require you to show them:
Passport
Visa
Birth certificate
Drivers licence
Basically after all that they know who you are you say you are.
I then applied for citizenship online. All good. I then get a phone call a few days later from DICA saying thet I need to fill and submit, with an endorsed photo, form 1295, which is for proof of ID! Surely after the first lot they know who I am. What a crock of shit and it is just red-tape bullshit.

Australia is a far more bureaucratic country than the UK.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 1:45 am

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

Who stated "Bad Backward British Beuracracy"? - one of the websites?????

Old Jan 17th 2008, 2:35 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I find Aussie bureaucracy much easier to deal with here. And I love my local Aus Post, they're great but then I do have a driving licence. The staff are also friendly humans which Poll doesn't have at hers
Old Jan 17th 2008, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Peope should also realise that they will appear to encounter more bureaucracy here than in the UK because they're setting up their lives all over again in a short period of time.

How often in the UK do you have to apply for driving licences, get trade or professional registrations, get new bank accounts, apply for citizenship, get two sets of passports all within the space of a couple of years? These sorts of things you do once or twice a lifetime if you spend your whole life in the UK.

Think of it as a byproduct of being adventurous

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.