Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Back online ...........

Wikiposts

Back online ...........

Old Jun 23rd 2006, 10:07 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back online ...........

Originally Posted by baconmaster
So many of your posts are disaster, trauma and problems, you are a bit like a modern day Frank Spencer. Ironically, there was an episode when he tried to migrate to Australia but failed at the inteview stage. There isn't an interview stage any more is there ?

It sounds like Frank Spencer has been responsible for the some of the building work on your property. I don't suppose the any of the tradesmen brought along a pet feline that did a woopsy in your property ?.

Frank Spencer makes me cringe, yet I still watch it.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 11:21 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

can you suggest a decent place for breakfast in Elwood? Nothing poncy, no egss la de da, just bacon, fried eggs kectchp, hashbrowns and a bit of toast ?

Greasy Joes in St.Kilda does a great fry up and has nice waitresses to look at as well
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

mark937 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by renth
No, sadly Fraser's story is typical. Having a house built in Australia is almost always a total nightmare. I saw some stats about it somewhere - they were horrifying. :scared:

Do a search for posts on this topic from a poster called Nibbs (one of my co-workers) - horrific, he's been here 2 years and I don't think they've even started yet, but want more money.
Have to agree. house is 18mths old, cracks appeared on day we moved in! Friend of ours is a solicitor, he had a house designed and built, in 2003. Went round for a bbq and was appalled by shoddy workmanship! Some things still hadn't been finished a year later. Cracks all over the place, uneven tiles, tiles missing, tv sockets not working (? even connected to anything). When we asked him about it, he just shrugged and said there was nothing he could do. Apparently the builder admitted to only applying 2mm (yes 2 mm) of render on the second floor, but wasn't prepared to correct it. Being a solicitor, we suggested he take them to court - mate said he couldn't, it would cost $$$$'s and he'd never get a cent as they always put business in wife's name etc.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 11:37 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>You should naming an shaming all the muppets you've come across so other people don't suffer the same fate, a bit like that Esther Ranzten wanna - Lynne Faulds-Wood and John Staplegun did on that BBC consumer affairs show many many moons ago.<<

It would be good to hear of the cowboys just so we could all steer clear of them in future.

However, I seem to remember a year or two back seeing that under Australian law, truth is no defence in libel cases here: ie., if you say that XXX is a cowboy plumber because he did a complete screwup on your job, he can sue you and it's no defence to prove he did a complete bodge.

Can anyone confirm?

PS How about closing this thread - it's getting to be an internet punch-up!
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 11:40 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark937
Have to agree. house is 18mths old, cracks appeared on day we moved in! Friend of ours is a solicitor, he had a house designed and built, in 2003. Went round for a bbq and was appalled by shoddy workmanship! Some things still hadn't been finished a year later. Cracks all over the place, uneven tiles, tiles missing, tv sockets not working (? even connected to anything). When we asked him about it, he just shrugged and said there was nothing he could do. Apparently the builder admitted to only applying 2mm (yes 2 mm) of render on the second floor, but wasn't prepared to correct it. Being a solicitor, we suggested he take them to court - mate said he couldn't, it would cost $$$$'s and he'd never get a cent as they always put business in wife's name etc.
It's why they do "bagged" brick: the brickwork is so lousy that it has to be covered and painted but proper stucco/rendering costs more. They have made a virtue of the necessity of covering up - and doesn't it look shoddy, with the pattern of the bricks showing through!
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 11:50 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
It's why they do "bagged" brick: the brickwork is so lousy that it has to be covered and painted but proper stucco/rendering costs more. They have made a virtue of the necessity of covering up - and doesn't it look shoddy, with the pattern of the bricks showing through!

At least they rendered ours properly and it looks lovely.

It's a damn shame I have to go and touch it up after the concreters splashed sealer on it.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

mark937 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Wol
looks like they've painted it on as you say! Not a tradie so not in the know about building. good luck fraser, don't usually put threads on here but have been lurking about for a while, so well aware of the probs you've had. We've had probs, mates have had probs but never discuss them really. You kinda adopt that 'ah well shit happens' attitude! What we need to be doing is saying, nope, I wouldn't accept that in uk, not gonna accept sloppy standards here. But where does it get you? (torn to shreds on here by the looks of things ) Really hope things settle for you and your family, cheers
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by mark937
looks like they've painted it on as you say! Not a tradie so not in the know about building. good luck fraser, don't usually put threads on here but have been lurking about for a while, so well aware of the probs you've had. We've had probs, mates have had probs but never discuss them really. You kinda adopt that 'ah well shit happens' attitude! What we need to be doing is saying, nope, I wouldn't accept that in uk, not gonna accept sloppy standards here. But where does it get you? (torn to shreds on here by the looks of things ) Really hope things settle for you and your family, cheers

Thanks Mark
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 7:53 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers guys, think i know where you mean. don't supopse you've come across any decent indian restraunts out here have you ?

There's a fantastic Indian up here. It's probably the equiv of a top Indian I at at in London years ago. It's divine. I suppose the Blue Mountains might be a bit far for you guys, right?
Old Jun 24th 2006, 10:06 am
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
Dial up anyway and in true Fraser style most things that could have gone wrong have

The carpets were fitted and all look crap now as loose and cut in places, all the skirtings are scored by a stanley blade.

The first time we got the guy out we had only noticed it needed stretching a bit and he said he would repace a bit.

We then noticed the damaged paintwork he said he'd come back out and look, we then get a phone call from someone who says he'scoming in his place and when he arrives it's the fitters, I show him the scoring and he blames it on the paintwork so I tell him to go.

The guy from the shop then phones and says he's told him to come and re do it all and rub down and repaint the skirting< to which I said I don't want him round as he was rude about it, we haven't heard from them since but suits me as we have only paid a third.

We had a concreter round to do the alfresco and the drive, we picked yellow with brown slate impression for the alfresco and a darker grey and sandstone for the drive.

The drive looked yellow and the back brown, we the found buff that had been used at the front and lightstone had been used at the back we old him and he first denied it and when finally admitting it his argument was that the brown at the back would have lookedjust as bad as the yellow at the front.

He said he could seal it so that it was all one colour, I said I wasn't happy with that, he called me a whinging pom and said he was going to come back and dig it all up, I now I should have let him but we've got no energy left for fighting with people, I even offered to pay half the cost of the materials to do it again so that we'd both have an equal loss out of it, he said no because I might not like the new colour, I said well then hat would be my fault as I'd picked it.

In the end I've had to have it sealed grey, he gave me $200 off but like I said I really dn't have the energy to start all over again.

None of the problems with the house have been sorted yet and now one of the doors wont shut as the frame has bowed.

Oh and none of the beds or anything has been put together as we can't because we'll have to move them again because of the carpet.

The heating and gas cooker doesn't work properly either and they haven't returned our calls.

It feels good to get all that off my chest
A few teething problems then I see

Hope it all gets sorted for you