Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Baby of Scotland's youngest mum fights for life

Wikiposts

Baby of Scotland's youngest mum fights for life

Old Jun 15th 2006, 10:54 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baby of Scotland's youngest mum fights for life

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=885692006

Updated news, by the look of it.
It's a sad state of affairs. I don't think removing the child from her mother is the answer. Seems a tad draconian to me. Educating them both and making them attend parenting classes etc and give them other support would be preferable. The mother probably had no idea what her daughter was up to when all this happened. Parent's do have responsibilities but they can't enforce children's behaviour away from the family home. Why as a society do we always seek to blame? We should look at ourselves as a society and communities and see just what messages we send to our young members.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 11:00 pm
Shopaholic

bradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to all

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
Poor kid you could almost see it coming though.
Hopefully it will open the eyes of youngsters about smoking in pregnancy and about the risks of having a baby so young.
Hope the baby survives . Him upstairs no doubt will have his way
Mandy
This story has made me so sad.

It horrifies me when I see the news about underage pregnancies...this girl got pregnant when she was only 11.
What on earth was she doing having sex at that age? She's still a baby herself.
Children are so much more knowing these days, and it frightens me.

I dread the day my 7 year old daughter gets older, finds her independance and starts to go out with friends, but I know I can't lock her in.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
It's a sad state of affairs. I don't think removing the child from her mother is the answer. Seems a tad draconian to me. Educating them both and making them attend parenting classes etc and give them other support would be preferable. The mother probably had no idea what her daughter was up to when all this happened. Parent's do have responsibilities but they can't enforce children's behaviour away from the family home. Why as a society do we always seek to blame? We should look at ourselves as a society and communities and see just what messages we send to our young members.

I agree to an extent. The mother should get some form of support and guidance. But I think that it would be a little, too late. If she had have had this support earlier then maybe this situation wouldn't have happened in the first place.

I also think in the short term, this young girl and her baby would both get more support from being in care (Ok, so not all homes are that good) even if it's just for a while until the Mother can get herself into a position where she can offer proper guidance.

It's probably not all cut and dry, plus the newspapers only print what they want you to know, so without the full facts on this particular case it's very difficult to say what is right for them. Let's just all hope that they get some really good help and that the system doesn't fail them like it does so many others.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 12:19 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
I agree to an extent. The mother should get some form of support and guidance. But I think that it would be a little, too late. If she had have had this support earlier then maybe this situation wouldn't have happened in the first place.

I also think in the short term, this young girl and her baby would both get more support from being in care (Ok, so not all homes are that good) even if it's just for a while until the Mother can get herself into a position where she can offer proper guidance.

It's probably not all cut and dry, plus the newspapers only print what they want you to know, so without the full facts on this particular case it's very difficult to say what is right for them. Let's just all hope that they get some really good help and that the system doesn't fail them like it does so many others.
Your post is both realistic and objective. If we lose compassion as a society then we have no lasting future.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 12:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Your post is both realistic and objective. If we lose compassion as a society then we have no lasting future.

Well I can see it from both sides, being a teenage mum myself, (although I was quite a few years older than 12) But, I had a very sensible and supportive Mum, and that made all the difference.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 12:35 am
Jedi Princess

I had a very sensible and supportive Mum, and that made all the difference.
That certainly helps. My eldest is 24 with a little girl who is 8 this year. Both are doing well and in some ways it has forced my daughter to "grow up". She loves her daughter no end but I am still trying to impress upon her the benefits for them both of her seeking to get the academic/vocational qualifications to get a decent career/trade.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That certainly helps. My eldest is 24 with a little girl who is 8 this year. Both are doing well and in some ways it has forced my daughter to "grow up". She loves her daughter no end but I am still trying to impress upon her the benefits for them both of her seeking to get the academic/vocational qualifications to get a decent career/trade.

It depends on what she wants out of life. Sometimes you don't need qualifications to get somewhere. I worked my way up to Manager at both of my last jobs, just by putting in the work and doing the best I could. I'm not saying that education isn't important but sometimes just hard work is enough to get where you want to be.

The most important thing is that you are there to help her when she needs it. Not financially, but with support, guidance and advice.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 1:34 am
Jedi Princess

The most important thing is that you are there to help her when she needs it. Not financially, but with support, guidance and advice.
Absolutely correct. I also have to respect the fact that she is nearly 25 not 15
Old Jun 16th 2006, 1:45 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Guess she was wrong about the cigarettes then.... Poor babe...

http://scotlandtoday.scottishtv.colo...1&newsid=11878
It's just a shame that be baby's mother cannot be held accountable for her very irresponsible behaviour.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 1:50 am
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
It's just a shame that be baby's mother cannot be held accountable for her very irresponsible behaviour.
Not even an adult can be; let alone a child.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 2:01 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Not even an adult can be; let alone a child.
You're back then....
Old Jun 16th 2006, 2:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You're back then....
nah, it's her twin sister
Old Jun 16th 2006, 2:05 am
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by moneypen20
nah, it's her twin sister
LOL
Old Jun 16th 2006, 2:06 am
Jedi Princess

You're back then....
Well for as long as mods and admin allow me
Old Jun 16th 2006, 2:19 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Well for as long as mods and admin allow me
Welcome back.....

Have you closed your other account?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.