Baby of Scotland's youngest mum fights for life

Wikiposts

Baby of Scotland's youngest mum fights for life

Old Jun 15th 2006, 6:27 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Baby of Scotland's youngest mum fights for life

Originally Posted by moneypen20
None of you know exactly what is wrong with the baby. I have never read such judgemental bull in my life. Since when did you all (or nearly all) become judge and jury without knowing the full evidence. There are hundreds of different reasons why a baby (any baby) is born ill. Adults who are in full health, no family history for any illness, do not smoke, drink etc etc still have sick babies.

You don't even KNOW that she did smoke the amount that is stated. However bad her own mother is, at least she is with her and supporting her - god help the girl had she got you lot as her family.
Oh come off it - someone who allows her daughter to behave in this way is "supporting" her?? If the girl had me as her family she would be in the house doing her homework.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 6:30 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
Oh come off it - someone who allows her daughter to behave in this way is "supporting" her?? If the girl had me as her family she would be in the house doing her homework.
Oh good, at last someone who actually knows the family. Prove to me that she doesn't do her homework
Old Jun 15th 2006, 6:32 pm
Account Closed

Oh good, at last someone who actually knows the family. Prove to me that she doesn't do her homework
Something has gone seriously wrong if we think the mother of this girl was doing an acceptable job.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 6:37 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Something has gone seriously wrong if we think the mother of this girl was doing an acceptable job.
No body thinks the mother has done an acceptable job but I will say again before I get totally bored by the whole thing - all anyone on here knows is what is written in a couple of crappy tabloids. NO ONE knows the truth of the story so to judge someone so violently is just plain wrong.

I am totally atheist but I understand in the bible story there is a quote which goes something along the lines of "if you are without guilt, lob a rock" . I am impressed I am in the company of such fantastic worthy people
Old Jun 15th 2006, 6:47 pm
Account Closed

No body thinks the mother has done an acceptable job but I will say again before I get totally bored by the whole thing - all anyone on here knows is what is written in a couple of crappy tabloids. NO ONE knows the truth of the story so to judge someone so violently is just plain wrong.

I am totally atheist but I understand in the bible story there is a quote which goes something along the lines of "if you are without guilt, lob a rock" . I am impressed I am in the company of such fantastic worthy people
I am without guilt when it comes to allowing my 10 year old daughter to smoke and drink, and when she is 11 I will not be guilty of letting her go to a party where she can have sex with a 15 year old.

I'm a wet liberal but there comes a time when people have to be told what they are doing is unacceptable.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 6:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
The very low maternal age is probably a greater risk factor for the baby than the smoking.

Source:

http://www.merck.com/mrkshared/mmanu...er250/250b.jsp

Same source says that only 20% of women who smoke quit during pregnancy. So this girl is in the majority *of all women* who smoke.

An 11-going-on-12-year-old is still growing, still has not reached full height and weight, and is in desperate need of high quality and quantity nutrition. Girls of this age are very poorly physically equipped to carry a baby. We do not know if the baby was born in distress; meconium aspiration and prematurity affect the lungs far more than does maternal smoking, *where the smoking risk is actually greater the older the mother is*.

While yes, this girl should have quit smoking, she would be fighting the odds of all pregnant smokers, and her very young age put her and her baby at tremendous risk of complications. I am appalled at the adults in the society who "raised" this child -- not just her parents -- the society entire.

Don't demonise her; there are many more like her and more to come. Volunteer with at-risk kids to keep it happening again, and for God's sake work with the boys!
Thanks for the link snowbunny.

I think that there is more to the first para quoted in the link, and that it's actually to do with the socioeconomic status of the females who become pregnant at such a young age. (Or the households they belong to - a 12 yr old is not allowed to work!) (In my training we are being taught to pick all sorts of "evidence" to pieces, hence my pickiness.)
Old Jun 15th 2006, 6:53 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

I am without guilt when it comes to allowing my 10 year old daughter to smoke and drink, and when she is 11 I will not be guilty of letting her go to a party where she can have sex with a 15 year old.

I'm a wet liberal but there comes a time when people have to be told what they are doing is unacceptable.
Well all I can say is congratulations and I sincerely hope for everyone's sake that for whatever reason, that statement doesn't come back to bite you on the bum. Unfortunately unless you keep them locked in their bedrooms forever, there is no way you can guarantee that none of that will happen
Old Jun 15th 2006, 7:32 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it legal to allow your 9 year old to smoke?
It is an offence for a vendor to sell them to someone under the age of 16 but not for the person to buy them or smoke them
Old Jun 15th 2006, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

barkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nice

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Yes, she's a child. Yes, she probably had a bad example set by her mother.

However, this is no excuse for what she has done. Her behaviour was her own choice and nobody else's.

Let's remember that she has not just ruined her own life - she has ruined her child's.

It's the sheer selfishness and self-centeredness of her actions which really gets my goat.

Plus the fact that she's sponging off my tax contributions.
c'mon Vash cut some slack! She is 12 years old and her cognitive abilities are limited. She is, as you say a child, she has not deliberately sponged off your tax contributions and her selfishness is perhaps without insight? It is a sad and unfortunate case which when she is 45 years old she may regret but at this point doesnt have the comprehension to understand. It is her choice but it is a choice born of limited experience and if you can stand outside the square and look objectively is pitiful.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 9:21 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Guess she was wrong about the cigarettes then.... Poor babe...

http://scotlandtoday.scottishtv.colo...1&newsid=11878
Poor wee thing. I hope the little one will be okay.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 9:23 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barkingRockateer
c'mon Vash cut some slack! She is 12 years old and her cognitive abilities are limited. She is, as you say a child, she has not deliberately sponged off your tax contributions and her selfishness is perhaps without insight? It is a sad and unfortunate case which when she is 45 years old she may regret but at this point doesnt have the comprehension to understand. It is her choice but it is a choice born of limited experience and if you can stand outside the square and look objectively is pitiful.
Absolutely spot on post Barking. You are 100% correct. If I could I'd give you karma for this post.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

None of you know exactly what is wrong with the baby. I have never read such judgemental bull in my life. Since when did you all (or nearly all) become judge and jury without knowing the full evidence. There are hundreds of different reasons why a baby (any baby) is born ill. Adults who are in full health, no family history for any illness, do not smoke, drink etc etc still have sick babies.

You don't even KNOW that she did smoke the amount that is stated. However bad her own mother is, at least she is with her and supporting her - god help the girl had she got you lot as her family.

I am glad the judge and jury here didnt see my third son, born with lung problems, to healthy non smoking parents and lying in an incubator next to another baby with lung problems, the father of whom was a consultant himself.

As you say many many factors can cause underveloped lungs in newborns, its quite common.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 10:39 pm
Jedi Princess

Totally agree with you on this.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 10:41 pm
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by Hels
If she was bought up knowing nothing else, then how can she be capable of knowing anything different? At that age, do you REALLY believe they are able to make ADULT decisions based on ADULT experience? It seems to me you are expecting an aweful lot from a child!!

Like I said above, it seems to me you are using adult reasoning to judge this child.

You dont think that a 11/12 year old shouldnt be classed as a victim? IMO she is a victim in EVERY sense of the word in this situation. A victim of her upbringing, a victim of the boy she got pregnant to, a very sad victim of society.

Honestly, Vash...I never picked you as someone quite so cold and judgemental.
Totally agree with your post on this.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 10:45 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=885692006

Updated news, by the look of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.