British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Baby name (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/baby-name-770715/)

live to ski Sep 6th 2012 4:13 am

Baby name

We've just had baby #2 but really struggling with what to call him.

Moving to OZ is certainly quite a desirable option for us in the future, so I thought I'd ask those of you over there already how these names would fit in.

Our short list is now down to the final two:

- Toby
- Rupert (with "Bertie" for short)

Thoughts?

Jon77 Sep 6th 2012 4:55 am

Re: Baby name

As your in Australia give him a native name like -

Bruce

or

Shane-'o'

I think being called 'Rupert' is a fast track to a school yard beating in Australia.

itigo Sep 6th 2012 5:27 am

Originally Posted by live to ski (Post 10266336)

Moving to OZ is certainly quite a desirable option for us in the future, so I thought I'd ask those of you over there already how these names would fit in.

- Toby

Thoughts?

I think your son would have a fairly unique name with either of those in Australia. All the usuals are popular, with plenty of Lachlans (Lachies) and Isaacs (Eyes-aks) thrown in. We know a few Tajs as well.

moneypenny20 Sep 6th 2012 6:31 am

Toby's fine. I'd hesitate to call any child Rupert or Bertie. He would have likely been bullied when I was at school, let alone now. :unsure: I've never heard of Rupert being shortened to Bertie, only ever associated it with Edward. Edward's a good name and there won't be many around, you can then call him Bertie and his school friends can call him Ed or Eddie.

Kim67 Sep 6th 2012 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 10266455)
Toby's fine. I'd hesitate to call any child Rupert or Bertie. He would have likely been bullied when I was at school, let alone now. :unsure: I've never heard of Rupert being shortened to Bertie, only ever associated it with Edward. Edward's a good name and there won't be many around, you can then call him Bertie and his school friends can call him Ed or Eddie.

Toby's a very ocker name here in Aus I think. I thought Edward was Ted or Teddy and Bertie was from Albert. Rupert's a cute name - had an imaginary friend called Rupert for years.

abi31 Sep 6th 2012 8:10 pm

Agree re Rupert - I think you'd be asking for bother either in the UK or in Oz with that one - kids are evil enough don't hand them ammunition. (Unless you move in suitable circles and he'll be at private school etc) We had to wipe out so many names we liked with that consideration in mind.

(Side bar - every time I see that name I can't help but think of Ruprecht from Dirty Rotten Scoundrels :ohmy:)

Toby sounds good - pretty Ozzie sounding.

On this matter - does anyone have any thoughts on whether Oscar - shortened to Oz/Ozzie - would just be a ridiculous conceit in Australia? Would it likely lead to being picked on, or is it a reasonably usual name?

Mummy3 Sep 6th 2012 9:13 pm

My sons friend is an Oscar called Ozzie, he is australian born and bred.
I think anything goes here, I have heard names I had no idea excisted. It will get shortened no matter what!

carolinephillips Sep 6th 2012 9:32 pm

Toby is ok, as is Oscar. NOT Rupert though- and it would get shortened to Rupe, or Roo.

I teach preschoolers, and there are lots of Lachlans, Toms, Daniels, Edwards- shortened to Ted or Ned as well as Eddie.
Others I've seen are Finn (lots of Irish where I am!) and William.

abi31 Sep 6th 2012 9:32 pm

Thanks M3 and CP - sets my mind at ease!

carolinephillips Sep 6th 2012 9:42 pm

Let us know what you decide!

elice_in_oz Sep 6th 2012 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by abi31 (Post 10267678)
Agree re Rupert - I think you'd be asking for bother either in the UK or in Oz with that one - kids are evil enough don't hand them ammunition. (Unless you move in suitable circles and he'll be at private school etc) We had to wipe out so many names we liked with that consideration in mind.

(Side bar - every time I see that name I can't help but think of Ruprecht from Dirty Rotten Scoundrels :ohmy:)

Toby sounds good - pretty Ozzie sounding.

On this matter - does anyone have any thoughts on whether Oscar - shortened to Oz/Ozzie - would just be a ridiculous conceit in Australia? Would it likely lead to being picked on, or is it a reasonably usual name?

My boy's name is Oscar and the only comments I had that did my head in were "Oh, I had/have a cat/dog/random pet called Oscar":blink:. He was born 6 years ago and there weren't many around then but now there seem to be a lot more, just a couple of years younger. I must have started the trend :p:lol:
The only short version of his name I've heard people use is "Osc" :huh: but I guess because we don't shorten it ourselves, people tend not to yet. That might change, it will probably be up to him how he wants to be called, but no way am I calling him "Oz" or "Ozzie" :sneaky: Personally, I don't like the whole shortening name malarkey that goes on here :unsure:
He was born here btw.

Bermudashorts Sep 6th 2012 9:54 pm

- Toby

Thoughts?

Rupert isn't shortened to Bertie, Bertie is short for Albert. I think that is quite nice, so is Alfred shortened to Alf or Alfie. Or Alistair perhaps.

My cat is called Rupert and he is generally known as Rupe. He is Australian born and bred and doesn't seem to mind the name. The English cat is Edward, shortened to Teddy.

Mummy3 Sep 6th 2012 10:09 pm

I have an Alfie, only one in his school, they hadn't heard of it here.

cresta57 Sep 7th 2012 12:03 am

I think I'd change my name if my parents called me Rupert, probably divorce them as well:( What is it with the constant quest to call your child a name that will result in teasing & bullying?
Yours
Sue

macy Sep 7th 2012 2:59 am

- Toby

Thoughts?

My son had a Hunter in his class and Hunters brother was called Archer:)

Rupert as others have said is a big no no, it often depends on what your surname is to how the first name goes with it, I used to work with a guy called Cliff and his surname was Peak, his parents really didn't think it through;)