Baby name

Old Sep 7th 2012, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baby name

I've been surprised by how different the names are here - much more American sounding/more like surnames. Often "original" spellings too. I was picking up a take-away last night and flicking through the local free paper - included in the birth announcements were "Lilee" and "Filip".
Old Sep 7th 2012, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

ok - we're going with Toby

thanks for the input
Old Sep 7th 2012, 3:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats!
Old Sep 7th 2012, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

That's good to hear, Rupert didn't get many votes. I have to say, Aussie names are an education and a half. Never spelt how you'd expect! Oh and Edward is more popular than you think, there were 4 at my sons old school, him being one of them.

However I've noticed as the boys get older, nicknames come in more and more, especially in the sports teams. Only last night I wondered who the coach was yelling Marshall at. Turned out to be Benjy, there's a footy player called Benjy Marshall it would appear!
Old Sep 7th 2012, 6:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Rupert Penry Jones would get my vote. And Rupert Everett has one of the sexiest voices going.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 8:10 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by live to ski
ok - we're going with Toby

thanks for the input
Sounds good as long as your last name isn't Jugs
Old Sep 7th 2012, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Sounds good as long as your last name isn't Jugs
Old Sep 7th 2012, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

WestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to allWestLondonWelshman is a name known to all

Why don't you call him Tobert or Ruby? And why do you need to consult a public forum full of people you don't know on what to call your chil? Bizarre
Old Sep 7th 2012, 11:01 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WestLondonWelshman
And why do you need to consult a public forum full of people you don't know on what to call your chil? Bizarre
I was thinking the same thing. Personally I couldn't give a shit what other people think of what I've called my children. We gave them names that we liked and were meaningful to us. Just like I would think most parents would do.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 3:33 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you call him Tobert or Ruby? And why do you need to consult a public forum full of people you don't know on what to call your chil? Bizarre
Kind-of makes sense though if the parents are considering moving to a new country. People's reactions to a name in one country can be different to another. For instance I don't like the pronunciation of Meeegan here, so wouldn't call a child that, whereas at home I used to think Megan was a lovely name.
And one bit of advice I would give anyone thinking of moving here is - your child's name will almost certainly be changed into a nickname - either shortened, or if its already short it'll get "ie" "s" or "o" added to the end - Toby will probably be Tobes by the end of the first week at school
Old Sep 8th 2012, 3:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Kind-of makes sense though if the parents are considering moving to a new country. People's reactions to a name in one country can be different to another. For instance I don't like the pronunciation of Meeegan here, so wouldn't call a child that, whereas at home I used to think Megan was a lovely name.
And one bit of advice I would give anyone thinking of moving here is - your child's name will almost certainly be changed into a nickname - either shortened, or if its already short it'll get "ie" "s" or "o" added to the end - Toby will probably be Tobes by the end of the first week at school
Old Sep 8th 2012, 3:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by live to ski
We've just had baby #2 but really struggling with what to call him.

Moving to OZ is certainly quite a desirable option for us in the future, so I thought I'd ask those of you over there already how these names would fit in.

Our short list is now down to the final two:

- Toby
- Rupert (with "Bertie" for short)

Thoughts?
Just quoted for clarity.

The question was actually how the already chosen names would fit in in Australia from people living in Australia with first hand knowledge, not what to name their child.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 8:45 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yep, the husband's (and therefore I guess my?!) nephew who is 5 is Toby and is usually called Tobes by everyone, even his Mum and Grandparents (not just mates at school).

And the husband's name is shortened and an 'o' stuck on the end.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

They actually lengthen my husband's name by sticking "os" on the end- must be something to do with his personality, but now he sounds either mexican or a criminal (the Jackal).