BA to charge for extra luggage

Old Feb 7th 2007, 8:43 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down BA to charge for extra luggage

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...250628,00.html

UK News
Passengers will pay more Travellers Face Ticket Hike
Updated: 09:02, Thursday February 08, 2007

Passengers who want to take an extra bag on a British Airways flight will be charged extra.

The rule concerns extra luggage for the plane's hold and will come into effect next Tuesday.

It will add £240 to the cost of a long haul flight and £120 to the cost of domestic and European journeys, according to the Daily Telegraph.

The paper claims that British Airways staff have been told not to tell customers in advance.

"They will tell people if they ask about our baggage policy," a spokesman told the paper. "But it is on our website."

The rule means that customers will be able to put a bag with a maximum weight of 23kg into the hold.

But even if the combined weight of two bags is less than 23kg, customers will still have to pay the extra, the paper said.

Budget airline Ryanair charges £7 for each bag that goes into the hold of its planes.

The company's profits rose by £30% last quarter.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BA to charge for extra luggage

This sucks, but if you only check in the one bag then it won't affect you.
The bit that really annoyed me was that the charges will not apply for sports equipments - so skis ok, but extra bag with children's clothes in is not?!
Old Feb 7th 2007, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by esperanza
This sucks, but if you only check in the one bag then it won't affect you.
The bit that really annoyed me was that the charges will not apply for sports equipments - so skis ok, but extra bag with children's clothes in is not?!
Will you child stay stiff enough to get down the piste though?
Old Feb 7th 2007, 10:16 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I've never enjoyed flying with BA and avoid them if at all possible. This new rule will make me even less likely to fly with them.

I would find it hard to lift a 23kg bag and for that reason always travel with two smaller bags when I travel on my own.

Thankfully there are plenty of other airlines going between the UK and Oz.

Gina
Old Feb 7th 2007, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by GinaUK
I've never enjoyed flying with BA and avoid them if at all possible. This new rule will make me even less likely to fly with them.

I would find it hard to lift a 23kg bag and for that reason always travel with two smaller bags when I travel on my own.

Thankfully there are plenty of other airlines going between the UK and Oz.

Gina
Can never understand why they don't charge for the extra clothes and fat on people and first class and business make a joke of the whole thing as look at the weight of those recliners compared to your extra bit baggage.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 11:30 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by annqldau
Can never understand why they don't charge for the extra clothes and fat on people and first class and business make a joke of the whole thing as look at the weight of those recliners compared to your extra bit baggage.

Yes but look at the prices they pay in Business and First!
Old Feb 8th 2007, 1:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Simple; wherever possible don't fly BA. Second worst flight I ever had, and the only one where my luggage got damaged. Even emirates didn't achieve that!
Old Feb 8th 2007, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Vanessa
Yes but look at the prices they pay in Business and First!
Shouldn't make any difference should still sting them more as well.