Australia's burning

Old Nov 13th 2019, 11:37 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia's burning

Originally Posted by DeadVim
All good here thanks for asking, keeping an eye on the fire map and thankful we’re not in some other poor sod’s shoes.

Pine forest one side, flood prone creek at the back ... we are looking at a second property, sandbagging loses it’s appeal after a few goes.

We have had some major housing development go in recently so that’s reduced the fire risk a bit. But increased the water run off.

BUT I was hand feeding a King Parrot the other day so that makes up for it all.
Fire and flood risk are not the best odds for a peaceful life, but oh my, hand feeding a king parrot! That's an experience not many of us will have, you lucky duck!
Old Nov 13th 2019, 11:50 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Fire and flood risk are not the best odds for a peaceful life, but oh my, hand feeding a king parrot! That's an experience not many of us will have, you lucky duck!
Had not heard of that bird before. Quite a handsome chap.

Old Nov 13th 2019, 11:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
We do have handsome birds.

Noticed it was very hazy again today, checked the map and discovered there were three 'watch & act' fires out to the west. Far enough away to not be a danger but close enough to make my eyes sting. Firies in control.
Old Nov 13th 2019, 12:01 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

We have a particularly tame/desperate male who will hang upside down on the screen door under the patio waiting to be fed by any means.

Numerous others less adventurous also. Hand feed some cockatoos with chunks off of seed blocks as well if they are feeling brave.

Had a fair few koalas around the place lately (we are a recent land clearance haven) and saw a kangaroo bounding around the back yard down by the creek tonight.

It’s a great spot when the elements (and the very occasional red bellied black in the kitchen) aren’t trying to kill you.

Cleared the gutters of leaves this arvo, keeping the grass short and hoping for the best, it’s pretty much all you can do. Nasty looking fire up at Beenleigh today thankfully brought under control. Those guys aren’t paid enough, if at all.

Reminds me, should volunteer for the rural fire service while still physically able.
Old Nov 13th 2019, 12:10 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

King parrots take priority around here (well, maybe behind family members and The Dog ... the chickens can get ****ed with all the crap on the patio they produce ).

Males particularly striking with their bright red breast. They make a beautiful “I’m here, feed me” chirp that we are all now tuned into. Had them doing somersaults on the washing line just to attract attention.

Fair to say “homesickness” isn’t a risk for me anymore despite the place trying to kill me periodically.
Old Nov 13th 2019, 1:41 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

We have a particularly tame/desperate male who will hang upside down on the screen door under the patio waiting to be fed by any means.

Numerous others less adventurous also. Hand feed some cockatoos with chunks off of seed blocks as well if they are feeling brave.

Had a fair few koalas around the place lately (we are a recent land clearance haven) and saw a kangaroo bounding around the back yard down by the creek tonight.

It’s a great spot when the elements (and the very occasional red bellied black in the kitchen) aren’t trying to kill you.

Cleared the gutters of leaves this arvo, keeping the grass short and hoping for the best, it’s pretty much all you can do. Nasty looking fire up at Beenleigh today thankfully brought under control. Those guys aren’t paid enough, if at all.

Reminds me, should volunteer for the rural fire service while still physically able.
King parrots take priority around here (well, maybe behind family members and The Dog ... the chickens can get ****ed with all the crap on the patio they produce ).

Males particularly striking with their bright red breast. They make a beautiful “I’m here, feed me” chirp that we are all now tuned into. Had them doing somersaults on the washing line just to attract attention.

Fair to say “homesickness” isn’t a risk for me anymore despite the place trying to kill me periodically.
DV, your posts have reminded me of Dorothea Mackellar's wonderful poem My Country, which she wrote as a 19 year old while in England and homesick for Australia. Have a read if you have the inclination some time, it does have some of the overly sentimental prose common at the time but I think you'll like it.

My brother was in the WA volunteer bushfire brigage during the terrible 2009 fires in Victoria, and like so many other professional and volunteer firefighters throughout Australia and New Zealand he travelled there to assist their colleagues. It's a wonderful thing to do.
Old Nov 13th 2019, 2:18 pm
Concierge

I love the note a rural firefighter left for a man whose house they'd saved. They'd taken refuge from the heat inside the house and had a well earned cold drink of milk

Old Nov 15th 2019, 3:36 am
Concierge

No let up in sight

The massive bushfires raging across Australia are expected to flare up again as temperatures rise in coming days.

So far, four people have died from the fires, which are feeding off drought-stricken farmland and bush.

Conditions improved on Friday but crews were still battling about 120 blazes across New South Wales and Queensland.

And authorities have warned that a bank of hot air is expected to sweep across the country, escalating the fires.

Temperatures across Western Australia are predicted to hit mid-40Cs at the weekend.

The fires have razed about 300 homes, and burnt through over 1 million hectares of land in NSW.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-50428865
Old Nov 15th 2019, 2:28 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

There is, as SoScouse says above,currently in end in sight for either Qld or NSW.

Both States are battling unprecedented levels of fires - when I left work this morning there were over 60 burning in Queensland alone. Other States also have some, but not on the scale of these two States.

Many of them are being proved to be arson. If anyone has any influence over teenagers especially, please please impress the dangers on them. Whether the fire is set deliberately, or is caused by a discarded cigarette butt, it can cause immense damage. Be aware of the increasing fascination kids have with fire and help to stamp it out.

Have your own bushfire plan handy. It doesn't matter whether you live in the bush or in a city, we are all currently at risk of fast moving fires. The Gap is a Brisbane City suburb but properties there were threatened last week. Wherever you are be prepared and ready. Make the decision early whether to stay or go, and stick to that decision.

If there is a fire in your area you may get Emergency Alert preparedness and/or evacuation warnings sent to your phone, or as voice messages on your landline. These usually come from numbers starting 0444, they are generated by the government fire services - in Qld they come from my team. They cannot be opted out of and must be taken seriously. For more Qld info see here, the page is being constantly updated. https://newsroom.psba.qld.gov.au/Con...ings/1020/1086

We do not have enough firefighters or SES volunteers to knock on every door so please be proactive and look out for neighbours, especially the elderly as we are concerned that those without smartphones and internet access may be out of the loop at times.

Please stay out of bushfire areas, they are not sightseeing events and you can hamper the work of the firefighters.

Queensland currently has firefighters from Tasmania, amongst other States, and from New Zealand, deployed to help. We also have a huge contribution from the SES who are providing transport, food, water and other logistic support to those on the ground. Other government agencies and the ADF are assisting both in the field and behind the scenes. And lets not forget the Firecom staff (those at the 000 call centres) who take all the calls, assign the resources and have to track everyone.
If any of you are involved in the fight, in any State - thank you.

Stay aware and stay safe.
Old Nov 15th 2019, 2:35 pm
Concierge

What a wonderful post Polly, thank you for the work you do and for all that very valuable information and advice
Old Nov 16th 2019, 1:32 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

On the ground reporting from Sydney - thankfully skies are not smokey right now.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 1:44 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

How's it going Aussies? Lots of news about the Sydney fires, anyone affected? Looks horrendous.
As there were two threads on the go and after chatting to Shard it was OK'd to merge both threads together ,as was suggested by a couple of BE folk.

Note: I am not the OP . Shard is although the order of posts cannot be altered to reflect that.

BEVS
Old Nov 16th 2019, 2:57 am
Mostly Harmless

DV, your posts have reminded me of Dorothea Mackellar's wonderful poem My Country, which she wrote as a 19 year old while in England and homesick for Australia. Have a read if you have the inclination some time, it does have some of the overly sentimental prose common at the time but I think you'll like it.

My brother was in the WA volunteer bushfire brigage during the terrible 2009 fires in Victoria, and like so many other professional and volunteer firefighters throughout Australia and New Zealand he travelled there to assist their colleagues. It's a wonderful thing to do.
Thanks, that poem is indeed a classic.

I’ve been known to turn up the various renditions of “I still call Australia home” occasionally, not immune to a bit of sentimentality.

Stay safe yourself Polly, heading for The Gabba next week?
Old Nov 16th 2019, 5:31 am
Concierge

q

I’ve been known to turn up the various renditions of “I still call Australia home” occasionally, not immune to a bit of sentimentality.
Oh me too. For ages Qantas played it on every international flight take-off and landing, one minute I'm sitting there thinking of what's for dinner or how long the taxi line will be, and next minute I have a lump in my throat. Cruel bastards, Qantas
Old Nov 16th 2019, 5:32 am
Concierge

A very powerful photo, taken in Harrington New South Wales.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.