Australia's burning

Old Jan 14th 2020, 8:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia's burning

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Shouldn't be any when you get back. Gone tomorrow arvo they reckon.

It's starting to get 'orribly humid though and that bothers me more than anything.

Current forecast for south Tassie tomorrow is smoke haze. I'm down in Dover and the locals are discusssing the effect of the smoke on their fishing. They aren't happy about it , I know that much.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Current forecast for south Tassie tomorrow is smoke haze. I'm down in Dover and the locals are discusssing the effect of the smoke on their fishing. They aren't happy about it , I know that much.
Makes a change, last two times we copped the smoke from Tasmania Tell them twas the KIng Island fire that really covered Melbourne with smoke.

Old Jan 16th 2020, 2:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

We are all big fans of Gerry Harvey at BE ..... spare a thought.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/comp...15-p53rnd.html
Old Jan 16th 2020, 10:50 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Shouldn't be any when you get back. Gone tomorrow arvo they reckon.

It's starting to get 'orribly humid though and that bothers me more than anything.
Originally Posted by Beoz
We are all big fans of Gerry Harvey at BE ..... spare a thought.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/comp...15-p53rnd.html
Good grief he's an obnoxious piece of shit.
Old Jan 16th 2020, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Go with history rather than projection,

Dorothy Mackeller 1908

I Love A Sunburnt Country.

The love of field and coppice,
Of green and shaded lanes.
Of ordered woods and gardens
Is running in your veins,
Strong love of grey-blue distance
Brown streams and soft dim skies
I know but cannot share it,
My love is otherwise.

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror -
The wide brown land for me!

A stark white ring-barked forest
All tragic to the moon,
The sapphire-misted mountains,
The hot gold hush of noon.
Green tangle of the brushes,
Where lithe lianas coil,
And orchids deck the tree-tops
And ferns the warm dark soil.

Core of my heart, my country!
Her pitiless blue sky,
When sick at heart, around us,
We see the cattle die -
But then the grey clouds gather,
And we can bless again
The drumming of an army,
The steady, soaking rain.

Land of the Rainbow Gold,
For flood and fire and famine,
She pays us back threefold -
Over the thirsty paddocks,
Watch, after many days,
The filmy veil of greenness
That thickens as we gaze.

An opal-hearted country,
A wilful, lavish land -
All you who have not loved her,
You will not understand -
Though earth holds many splendours,
Wherever I may die,
I know to what brown country
My homing thoughts will fly.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 16th 2020 at 11:33 am.
Old Jan 16th 2020, 12:10 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Pissing down, hope the same everywhere that needs it.
Old Jan 16th 2020, 12:16 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Was a good downpour for a couple of hours.
Old Jan 17th 2020, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Smoke haze return forecast for Melbourne today. AQI is currently running at 22 average which is apparently good quality. Can see some smoke on the limited 4 to 5k horizon towards Preston from my Gaff.

Old Jan 17th 2020, 10:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Been belting down here too, it's been awesome.
Old Jan 17th 2020, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
Been belting down here too, it's been awesome.
Ywhp, the Monsoon has reestablished itself up North. Expect lots of moisture moving down South from that. Hopefully not too much, which historically is the usual outcome after these events.

We're going to be wet, showers and thunderstorms, all week here in Southern Victoria.

Old Jan 18th 2020, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

Retirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Good grief he's an obnoxious piece of shit.
That’s a typically British understatement
Old Jan 18th 2020, 6:50 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Go with history rather than projection,

Dorothy Mackeller 1908

I Love A Sunburnt Country.

The love of field and coppice,
Of green and shaded lanes.
Of ordered woods and gardens
Is running in your veins,
Strong love of grey-blue distance
Brown streams and soft dim skies
I know but cannot share it,
My love is otherwise.

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror -
The wide brown land for me!

A stark white ring-barked forest
All tragic to the moon,
The sapphire-misted mountains,
The hot gold hush of noon.
Green tangle of the brushes,
Where lithe lianas coil,
And orchids deck the tree-tops
And ferns the warm dark soil.

Her pitiless blue sky,
When sick at heart, around us,
We see the cattle die -
But then the grey clouds gather,
And we can bless again
The drumming of an army,
The steady, soaking rain.

Land of the Rainbow Gold,
For flood and fire and famine,
She pays us back threefold -
Over the thirsty paddocks,
Watch, after many days,
The filmy veil of greenness
That thickens as we gaze.

An opal-hearted country,
A wilful, lavish land -
All you who have not loved her,
You will not understand -
Though earth holds many splendours,
Wherever I may die,
I know to what brown country
My homing thoughts will fly.
So true Thanks for sharing. This is it on Youtube:

Old Jan 18th 2020, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by paulry
So true Thanks for sharing. This is it on Youtube:
Great version, that has consistently proven itself during my time here.

Old Jan 19th 2020, 4:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

With a bit of good fortune, this could be the last smoke haze day we see in Melbourne this extraordinary bushfire season. Melbournes CBD seen from Coburg circa 8ks away. For those affected hopefully your region recovers soon. Watch out for mood swings. These events affect people in very different ways. It can cause people to change permanently.