Australia's burning

Old Jan 7th 2020, 4:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australia's burning

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Are you on tank water Steve or are there gardening watering restrictions in your neck of the woods?
We've been caught out a bit and don't have tank water at the moment, a soon to be rectified cock up, the aim is to have no water going down the drain . We're on a hose pipe ban at the moment as we've been in increasing drought for months now.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
We've been caught out a bit and don't have tank water at the moment, a soon to be rectified cock up, the aim is to have no water going down the drain . We're on a hose pipe ban at the moment as we've been in increasing drought for months now.
Bugger, well that doesn't help matters at all.

Good luck, hope this fire bypasses or indeed is brought under control before it gets close to you.

Old Jan 7th 2020, 5:04 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
As have we.

Back in 2013, we had a fire in the back yard (small from an ember attack - it might even have been from the containment lines they were creating in the ravine at the back of our yards). At the time, fire crews were stationed at the bottom of our street. As I was running around like a headless chicken, throwing animals and children in the car (the children were all in their 20s, I don't think they were overly impressed at being thrown into a car ), one of the firemen told me to calm down, it was all good, and that we didn't need to leave unless we felt safer doing so. Mr Dreamy, NextDoorGary and OtherSideTony were using hoses to keep the back of the houses nice and wet. There was a big difference between that and when we actually were told to evacuate. Our plan is always to leave at the first sign of trouble - but it needs to be in context.
You gave me such a laugh Dreamy, with that image of you throwing your adult kids in the car against their will You've seen and lived it, and like Steve you give an excellent example of sensible heads and context.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 5:32 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your concern you wonderful human being but Scouse is right we're in no imminent danger so it's more precautionary than anything. I'd probably end up staying longer than I should but I wouldn't stick around if things got hairy. Not gonna send karma, as I think the entire forum should know just how touched I am by your concern.
Where do you live Steve?
Old Jan 7th 2020, 5:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Where do you live Steve?
We're just south of Wollongong, the firies are nailing anything within 5 k's of us immediately, and anything within 10 K has all been arson so far, I'd throw the switch mate .

Last edited by scrubbedexpat098; Jan 7th 2020 at 5:47 am.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 6:27 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

We're just south of Wollongong, the firies are nailing anything within 5 k's of us immediately, and anything within 10 K has all been arson so far, I'd throw the switch mate .
Anyone caught lighting fires should never see the light of day again
Old Jan 7th 2020, 6:49 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Anyone caught lighting fires should never see the light of day again
I absolutely agree. My missus told me to calm down when one was started near where she works. Wrong thing to say
Old Jan 7th 2020, 8:30 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I see in a report that the smoke from the fires has reached Chile, some 11,000 miles across the Pacific.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 8:40 am
Banned

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I see in a report that the smoke from the fires has reached Chile, some 11,000 miles across the Pacific.
I read the same report. I also saw, in another newspaper a photograph of Australia taken from space. As usual the press didn't give precise details but I think the photos were taken over several days, maybe weeks and made into a composite picture. What struck me most forcibly was that it showed virtually the whole of Australia, East to West; North to South virtually alight!!! An incredible sight. In my ignorance I understood that the fires were 'just' on the Eastern side of Australia.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 8:49 am
Banned

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Couldn't agree more. Ozzie, Beoz and Garry, perhaps start a new thread if you want to do this?
It's probably fair though, to ask just how did these fires reach the incredible proportions they have. Blaming any one political group cannot be right., either the present government, Greens or anyone else. The fault must lie with successive administrations over many years. Action and planning quite obviously hasn't taken place and these huge fires are the result. A blind man could see this coming.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 8:54 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJMW
It's probably fair though, to ask just how did these fires reach the incredible proportions they have. Blaming any one political group cannot be right., either the present government, Greens or anyone else. The fault must lie with successive administrations over many years. Action and planning quite obviously hasn't taken place and these huge fires are the result. A blind man could see this coming.
Possibly, but they would have had to have knowledge of the fact that current temps are around 20 degrees C higher than normal, and Australia has always had bush fires in summer, it's just that this year they are a lot earlier and a huge amount more, particularly in the East, than ever before. The worldwide effects of these fires will be tremendous and last for a very long time, particularly in the southern hemisphere.

Last edited by mikelincs; Jan 7th 2020 at 10:20 am.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 9:03 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJMW
Sure the question's fair, but it's a discussion for another thread. Maybe Take it Outside, it's not a country specific forum and it's for discussions and subjects that are likely to end in....well, that are likely to be acrimonious.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Jan 7th 2020 at 9:06 am.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 9:19 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Couldn't agree more. Ozzie, Beoz and Garry, perhaps start a new thread if you want to do this?
On the contrary. First I'm simply agreeing that there has been political buggery from the right - first in cutting the necessary preparation cash, and then trying to blame the greens. Add to that the sheer crass incompetence of the current shower, and Morrison in particular, in dealing with the emergency and the KEY issue is the failure to prepare and deal with reality. I'm not looking for a debate, because debate is impossible - this is simple fact.

And second, I have no time for the 'thoughts and prayers' crowd. It's pointless, it does nothing, and if anything distracts from the actions needed to stop it happening again. And THAT is the key issue here. Like it or not, this has been a political failure - both to prepare properly, and to address climate change. Not talking about that is blindness.

Finally, I'm not a naughty schoolboy to be told what to think, what to do, or what to say, at any time. Maybe YOU could take your views elsewhere?
Old Jan 7th 2020, 9:42 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by GarryP
On the contrary. First I'm simply agreeing that there has been political buggery from the right - first in cutting the necessary preparation cash, and then trying to blame the greens. Add to that the sheer crass incompetence of the current shower, and Morrison in particular, in dealing with the emergency and the KEY issue is the failure to prepare and deal with reality. I'm not looking for a debate, because debate is impossible - this is simple fact.

And second, I have no time for the 'thoughts and prayers' crowd. It's pointless, it does nothing, and if anything distracts from the actions needed to stop it happening again. And THAT is the key issue here. Like it or not, this has been a political failure - both to prepare properly, and to address climate change. Not talking about that is blindness.

Finally, I'm not a naughty schoolboy to be told what to think, what to do, or what to say, at any time. Maybe YOU could take your views elsewhere?
No one's stopping you from talking about blame, and politics, and 'idiots supporting Morrison', it was just suggested, and not only by me, that this thread isn't the place for a political shit fight.
Old Jan 7th 2020, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Against democracy???????? Oh dear. The lunatics of the left.

Meanwhile ............ 200 hundred people arrested for starting the bushfires.

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitic...EtUFsjH44BYKqg
Ummm....Briebart?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.