Australia's burning

Old Nov 16th 2019, 6:18 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia's burning

Yes, quite the photo. It looks like hell itself. I wonder if disasters on this scale (in addition to the oft cited heat) will persuade many Brits to return to the UK?
Old Nov 16th 2019, 7:49 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Yes, quite the photo. It looks like hell itself. I wonder if disasters on this scale (in addition to the oft cited heat) will persuade many Brits to return to the UK?
I don't think I've ever read of a Brit returning to UK due to bushfires etc, on BE at least. Ditto the heat, some love it, some don't like it but live with it, others hate it, but again I don't remember anyone here saying they're going home solely due to the weather. Most often cited reasons for returning seem to be homesickness/missing family/feeling that they will never feel at home in Oz.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 9:00 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

It certainly doesn't influence us - but many of the town-dwelling Australians that Mr Dreamy works with can't understand why anyone would want to live out near the bush.

Perhaps if we weren't happy here, it could be a tipping factor, but it doesn't even feature in our thinking most of the time. Yes, you hear a siren anytime from September to March, you check the fire app - but we're not in a permanent state of fear or anything. And I'm not a heat lover - but again, it really doesn't feature that much as a "thing". I think I moan more about the cold in the winter than I do about the heat in the summer!
Old Nov 16th 2019, 9:02 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
It certainly doesn't influence us - but many of the town-dwelling Australians that Mr Dreamy works with can't understand why anyone would want to live out near the bush.

Perhaps if we weren't happy here, it could be a tipping factor, but it doesn't even feature in our thinking most of the time. Yes, you hear a siren anytime from September to March, you check the fire app - but we're not in a permanent state of fear or anything. And I'm not a heat lover - but again, it really doesn't feature that much as a "thing". I think I moan more about the cold in the winter than I do about the heat in the summer!
I suppose I was thinking of it as a 'tipping factor'. I recall reading an Australian thread some years back where everyone was complaining crazy about the heat and some planning to leave because of it. Perhaps that was just a one off or exaggeration.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 9:08 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose I was thinking of it as a 'tipping factor'. I recall reading an Australian thread some years back where everyone was complaining crazy about the heat and some planning to leave because of it. Perhaps that was just a one off or exaggeration.
If you're not happy somewhere, everything is a pain in the arse.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 11:52 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I love the bush and have had many happy holidays, picnics etc in the bush areas around Perth and down south. But I have to hold my hand up to being one of those townies who are too scared of bush fires to live there. I'll camp for a few weeks at a time in a coastal area north of Perth that's surrounded by bush, but only because the Indian ocean is a quick sprint away!

I don't know if it's just me being a chicken, or because after spending my life in Oz I've just seen and heard about too many fires and the devastation they leave behind. Thank god for people with a pioneering spirit like you Dreamy, otherwise everyone would be crammed into big cities!
Old Nov 16th 2019, 11:53 pm
Concierge

Never was a truer word spoken
Old Nov 17th 2019, 12:05 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

That is true enough.
Old Nov 17th 2019, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up in the bush in Australia (the Darling Downs, Queensland), and we pretty much took the risk of bushfires in our stride. It (the risk) was just part of life. If we'd been faced with anything as bad as the present ones, of course, we might have taken that risk a bit more seriously!
Old Nov 17th 2019, 8:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Spot f**king on

And there's half of BE explained in that sentence right there!
Old Nov 19th 2019, 1:52 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I’d rather roll my eyes out with rusty spoons.
Old Nov 19th 2019, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute

Hope everyone is staying safe! Been following on the news. No fires here but we have a catastrophic warning for tomorrow
Old Nov 19th 2019, 8:34 am
Yo

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I’d rather roll my eyes out with rusty spoons.
What did you dislike in the UK?
Old Nov 20th 2019, 1:22 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

What did you dislike in the UK?
Different lifestyle to here, less elbow room mainly.

Unless you want to spend stupid money.

I’ll stick to my 3 acres and keep an eye on the disaster alerts thank you kindly.
Old Nov 20th 2019, 8:03 am
Yo

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Different lifestyle to here, less elbow room mainly.

Unless you want to spend stupid money.

I’ll stick to my 3 acres and keep an eye on the disaster alerts thank you kindly.
Certainly less elbow room in the UK.

General Australia question to the thread: why did Sydney and the East Coast become the first developed region? When Britain was 'colonising' Oz, surely it would be faster for ships to dock in Perth or somewhere on the West Coast (particularly considering the 'cargo')?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.