Australia's burning

Old Nov 12th 2019, 8:03 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia's burning

Backing onto a pine forest certainly keeps you vigilant.

On the upside the risk of flooding is currently low ...
Old Nov 12th 2019, 9:30 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NSW &Queensland - State of Fire Emergency declared

Please stay safe everyone, we have had bits on the news here and it looks really bad in places, especially round Sydney.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 12:40 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I don't know exactly where Dreamy is in the Blue Mountains, I wish I did because I've been checking the warnings. So many fires that are out of control, it's horrific. A link for people who know the location of mates in NSW https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/fire-info...r-fire-updates
From the map there's no fires close to her, but that's not to say things won't change.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 12:52 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
From the map there's no fires close to her, but that's not to say things won't change.
Thanks Dorothy.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 4:33 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Dreamy is east / low Blue Mountains. We're making her check in with us all in a variety of timezones and, from what I can see from the "Fires near me" app, there are a couple in the vicinity but under control.

Those I know who have lost homes are more towards the coast.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 7:16 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for your love and concern!

We were good - one false alarm in the nearest town just as Mr Dreamy was about to start a work phone-hook-up (he worked from home yesterday), but that was as much excitement as we had. Ironically, after spending the first ten minutes of his meeting being told that there was no way they would live so close to the bush like us, 3 colleagues had to dash off as they lived around Macquarie Park which had a couple of emergency warnings going on. Fortunately, all was eventually fine for them. It still looks terrible up on the NE coast of the state.

Weather conditions are much better today - but we desperately need some rain
Old Nov 12th 2019, 7:19 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim

You get the worst of both worlds

Fortunately flooding isn't something we ever have to worry about - bushfires, landslides, falling trees, hailstones - yes, flooding - no.

Hope you're staying safe.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 7:50 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Very pleased to hear from you missus.

Old Nov 12th 2019, 9:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Very pleased to hear from you missus.
I'll second that.
We've had some torrential rain in NZ the last few days and I wish I could send that to Aussie.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 10:40 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kooky.
Dreamy is east / low Blue Mountains. We're making her check in with us all in a variety of timezones and, from what I can see from the "Fires near me" app, there are a couple in the vicinity but under control.

Those I know who have lost homes are more towards the coast.
I'm so sorry to hear that Kooky, what a nightmare for your friends. I hope they're ok - I mean as ok as they can be with losing their homes

We were good - one false alarm in the nearest town just as Mr Dreamy was about to start a work phone-hook-up (he worked from home yesterday), but that was as much excitement as we had. Ironically, after spending the first ten minutes of his meeting being told that there was no way they would live so close to the bush like us, 3 colleagues had to dash off as they lived around Macquarie Park which had a couple of emergency warnings going on. Fortunately, all was eventually fine for them. It still looks terrible up on the NE coast of the state.

Weather conditions are much better today - but we desperately need some rain
Really glad you're ok Dreamy. Hell yes, please please rain.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 11:14 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I could tell when the British media reported on it with the deluge of calls from concerned relatives within seconds of each other!
We immediately got a call from the MiL. My family however....maybe phone lines are flooded UK end and burned this end. Good to know they care. Anyway we're in a spot where, apart from crap visibility last weekend, there's no current danger.

More frightening to me is the fact that the other day was the first day since records started that no rain fell anywhere in Australia.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 11:21 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
We immediately got a call from the MiL. My family however....maybe phone lines are flooded UK end and burned this end. Good to know they care. Anyway we're in a spot where, apart from crap visibility last weekend, there's no current danger.

More frightening to me is the fact that the other day was the first day since records started that no rain fell anywhere in Australia.
I didn't know you lived near the fires MP. It's good to hear that things are ok there at the moment, everything crossed it stays that way.

On another note, do you think it'd be a good idea to merge this thread with the one on the main Australia page? Just saying that because I missed Dreamy's update here yesterday.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 11:22 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by DeadVim

Another BEer in harm's way Everything ok your way DV?
Old Nov 13th 2019, 1:13 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

You get the worst of both worlds

Fortunately flooding isn't something we ever have to worry about - bushfires, landslides, falling trees, hailstones - yes, flooding - no.

Hope you're staying safe.
Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Another BEer in harm's way Everything ok your way DV?
All good here thanks for asking, keeping an eye on the fire map and thankful we’re not in some other poor sod’s shoes.

Pine forest one side, flood prone creek at the back ... we are looking at a second property, sandbagging loses it’s appeal after a few goes.

We have had some major housing development go in recently so that’s reduced the fire risk a bit. But increased the water run off.

BUT I was hand feeding a King Parrot the other day so that makes up for it all.
Old Nov 13th 2019, 11:19 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

We should send some of our spare wet stuff, I'm sure the people near Doncaster and Lincoln have a lot to spare.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.