Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australians leave UK to escape credit cru

Australians leave UK to escape credit cru

Old Jun 29th 2008, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Rob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the rough
Default Australians leave UK to escape credit cru

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/mai...stralia129.xml

Sorry - lost part of my "crunch".
Old Jun 29th 2008, 5:47 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Australians leave UK to escape credit cru

Australian authorities have recorded a 50 per cent increase in the number of their citizens returning down under since last summer. Growing numbers of migrants from Poland, India and Nigeria are also said to be leaving in the hope of easier times and more economic stability back home.
advertisement

The cost of raising a family is said to have jumped more sharply in the UK than in any other country in the western world.

[...]

Many have been tempted back by a strong economy that has grown by 3.6 per cent over the past year, with the Australian dollar at an 11-year high against the pound. Jason Cartwright of Link Recruitment, an international employment agency, said the City was suffering a "brain drain" as bank and insurance workers leave.

[...]

Chris Hurd, 45, a film-maker, returned to Sydney three months ago, after ten years in the UK, because he and his wife could not afford to raise a family in London.

He said: "You can't get a rudimentary education in England without paying a fortune."

Nicola Brennan, 35, moved back to Melbourne after ten years as an accountant with an investment bank. She said it seemed a better place to start a family.
Interesting.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 6:40 pm
Banned

Assegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant future
Default Re: Australians leave UK to escape credit cru

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Australian authorities have recorded a 50 per cent increase in the number of their citizens returning down under since last summer. Growing numbers of migrants from Poland, India and Nigeria are also said to be leaving in the hope of easier times and more economic stability back home.
advertisement

The cost of raising a family is said to have jumped more sharply in the UK than in any other country in the western world.

[...]

Many have been tempted back by a strong economy that has grown by 3.6 per cent over the past year, with the Australian dollar at an 11-year high against the pound. Jason Cartwright of Link Recruitment, an international employment agency, said the City was suffering a "brain drain" as bank and insurance workers leave.

[...]

Chris Hurd, 45, a film-maker, returned to Sydney three months ago, after ten years in the UK, because he and his wife could not afford to raise a family in London.

He said: "You can't get a rudimentary education in England without paying a fortune."

Nicola Brennan, 35, moved back to Melbourne after ten years as an accountant with an investment bank. She said it seemed a better place to start a family.
Interesting.
My kids got a rudimentary education from their parents. They got a more advanced education when they went to school (state).
Old Jun 30th 2008, 3:47 am
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd say the man didn't really have a clue after coming out with a comment like that. I wonder how many have made the move back in a knee jerk reaction and not really thought it through like this guy seems to be doing
Old Jun 30th 2008, 4:17 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

For all the talk we hear about the resources boom and Aussie economic utopia, 3.6% GDP growth is hardly spectacular. Over the period to which the figures refer, the UK was just a shade under 3.0%. And like the UK, that rate is set to slow significantly.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-32542,00.html

In its forecasts last month, the RBA had GDP growth running at 2.5per cent over the year to June.

While growth in the year to the March quarter was running at 3.6per cent, if we annualise the quarterly rate of 0.6per cent, like the US does, growth is running at 2.4per cent - pretty much line ball.
In fact, Stevens is probably relieved that March did not produce a negative GDP figure, which preliminary indicators suggested was certainly possible.

So unless all these Aussies, who probably work mostly in the City of London are running back to Aus to work in the mines, they may hit exactly the same issues.

Last edited by bcworld; Jun 30th 2008 at 4:24 am.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 10:08 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

They would get a shock when they exchanged there pounds!
The cost of living might also take them by surprise.

Originally Posted by Rob12paws
Old Jun 30th 2008, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Jamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really nice

It's interesting to read these statements.

I am by no means the worlds authority on even the leanest intellectual topic. I was brought up (not in the technicolour yawn sense, but nearly) in the industrial North of the UK, in Bradford (ouch).

Whilst I had a reasonable and, by no means, deprived education; the most valuable things I have learned have been from the people I have met along the way.

Sometimes, the education that people pay so much for their children to have, actually affords them sweet Fanny Adams.

I have met wiser people than me, who in fact, never even attended a formal school or anything similar.

It's also worthy of note, that the brightest university students, employed by the most prestigious companies, are often the most inexperienced, dangerous, and annoying of people.

-Damn sure this will annoy some of you :-)

J
Old Jun 30th 2008, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

tasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jamiem
It's interesting to read these statements.

I am by no means the worlds authority on even the leanest intellectual topic. I was brought up (not in the technicolour yawn sense, but nearly) in the industrial North of the UK, in Bradford (ouch).

Whilst I had a reasonable and, by no means, deprived education; the most valuable things I have learned have been from the people I have met along the way.

Sometimes, the education that people pay so much for their children to have, actually affords them sweet Fanny Adams.

I have met wiser people than me, who in fact, never even attended a formal school or anything similar.

It's also worthy of note, that the brightest university students, employed by the most prestigious companies, are often the most inexperienced, dangerous, and annoying of people.

-Damn sure this will annoy some of you :-)

J

Exactly.

I work with people who are the same grade as me who waffle on about their degrees. End of the day they get paid the same as me, so it hasn't done them any good. And i'm not saying they're all the same but the people i am talking about have no common sense at all, mainly because they have no experience of life.