Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australian women in the workplace ....

Australian women in the workplace ....

Old Sep 29th 2011, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian women in the workplace ....

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Are you on speed Eddie?
Nope, a natural high... They are as extreme as my lows.... Also natural.... Difference between me and some one with true bi polar... Is that I'n not medicated
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Your right it is my problem. But, I have no plans to change anytime soon I like who I am, reached over 40 without climbing up or over anyone else.

What I do think i that it's time for a change. Can't be arsed to sooth egos of women who feel the need to prove themselves as capable. So over it.

Anyway, onwards and upwards I shall not be beaten
Old Sep 29th 2011, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by spartacus
First result from search on google images for the term 'mingers who work in governemnt offices' . . .

http://www.thai-list.com/main-topics/mingers.jpg

Is this the sort of thing you're referring to? I can't see any tats, she's wearing a long-sleeved polo shirt.
She..SHE, she's got a beard and sideburns. God knows what down below is like
Old Sep 30th 2011, 1:48 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Last place I worked in, the in the office woman was nice to my face, but was a best friend of my husband's ex.
I had mucho enjoyable time giving her completely rubbish information which I know she frantically texted to said ex.
One night she left her phone in the office and was so worried I'd find it in the morning that she drove all the way back to the office to pick it up.
The entire company politics were surreal and the culture was totally insecure with a culture of backstabbing.
The woman I worked with was overheard trying to have me sacked.... so someone told me.
When I left there, I was so happy to go. A lesson in how not to run a small business.

I guess if you let the culture bother you, then you'll get upset by it. You can either look for another job or play the game...
Needless to say I now have another job which is great. There's a manager been drafted in from a local town to cover someone's job for a week, who is racist (Bunch of Asian tourists walk in yesterday and she says 'I can smell Asian titty' .... euhhhhhh!), talks like a yob and tells us all about her vibrator adventures. Someone made her a manager... god knows who or why. But there we go.. She thinks she's pregnant. Boyfriend looks like a 300lb gorilla. But she leaves on Monday. And then we can all get on with the job again.

All jobs have their down sides. Play the game, or look for another job where the organisation is good and the management structure is healthy. People tend to adopt the culture of the place just to get on, sadly. So if there is bullying, people will join in. If the structure is healthy, the workplace will be healthy. Lots of studies done on this if you care to look.
Took me a while to find a healthy place, esp in this small town, but seem to have nailed it finally. Good luck!

Last edited by TiddlyPom; Sep 30th 2011 at 1:53 am.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 2:10 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scrawni
I don't know if it is just me but ..... the Australian women seem very insecure. Worked in several office jobs now and I seem to have a problems with some of the women. Their isn't any team spirit.

They will think it's nothing to climb all over you to get the managers attention and be their pets. I am not one to climb up anyones arse but I'm friendly, helpful and a general all rounder.

I'm starting to wonder if it's me with the problem
My ex-boss was a woman (and I think still is) and in the last job I had I was the only male software developer.

I tried to get one to climb all over me but to no avail, arses were not involved.

It resulted in a rather messy disciplinary matter.

On topic ... I can't say I've noticed any bitchiness but the OH regularly reports of issues from the public service Front Line. Maybe women just notice these things and are bothered by them more than men?
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 12:32 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss
Agression in many workplaces here in Brissie is seen as a desirable managment quality - Not just for women but for blokes as well. I'm so bored of being around insecure inexperienced alpha types who can't do their jobs properly but have been placed in position by some plonker who thinks they demonstrate leadership ability. I don't get it, as I'm a big fan of collaboration and mutual respect, but I get the impression I'm in the minority. It sucks, but the workplace here seems stuck in the 1980's in terms of management values, attitudes to co-workers, bullying etc. Guess we just need to dust off the shoulder pads and tough it out if we want to work here.
Been saying that for years. Aus is a fantastic place to live but work culture is at least 30 years behind
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 1:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Been here for 15 months now. Not noticed any unusual workplace behaviours of either male or female Australians. My colleagues seem like a normal mix of people to me.

Just thought I would add that for balance, in case any newbies are getting scared.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 1:30 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

All depends how much emotional intelligence you have, how much experience you have working in *healthy* workplace environment and and who you are and what your normal behaviours are.

Different experiences develop different expectations I guess.....
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 1:36 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Been here for 15 months now. Not noticed any unusual workplace behaviours of either male or female Australians. My colleagues seem like a normal mix of people to me.

Just thought I would add that for balance, in case any newbies are getting scared.
Balance? Balance??? You sure you're on the right forum?
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 1:37 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Been saying that for years. Aus is a fantastic place to live but work culture is at least 30 years behind
In engineering it's roughly the same. Ahead in some areas, behind in others.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu
In engineering it's roughly the same. Ahead in some areas, behind in others.
I'm in the same field and this is the ONLY industry I have seen any resemblance of good work culture over here. Worked in many industries before and they're woeful. I put it down to Engineers /construction workers working all over the world and so they have *imported* those skills that involve best practise experience
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 1:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

All depends how much emotional intelligence you have, how much experience you have working in *healthy* workplace environment and and who you are and what your normal behaviours are.

Different experiences develop different expectations I guess.....
Would you care to explain what you mean by that?

Because it reads like you are suggesting that I think the behaviours described in this thread are normal. Whereas in fact I think my meaning was perfectly clear in saying that not everybody who has moved to Australia experiences things like this. I can honestly say slapping someone around the head (for example) would result in immediate dismissal anywhere where I have worked, including Sydney.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
....... I can honestly say slapping someone around the head (for example) would result in immediate dismissal anywhere where I have worked, including Sydney.
Slapping someone around the head is NOT what I am talking about. That example is a tad too simplistic and far more explicit that what I (and others) are talking about on here. I'm talking about organisational behaviour much more subtle than this, maybe you should look it up as it's a very complex subject and one I can't be arsed going into.

Too much to discuss and too little time -I've got a life
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 1:53 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Slapping someone around the head is NOT what I am talking about. That example is a tad too simplistic and far more explicit that what I (and others) are talking about on here. I'm talking about organisational behaviour much more subtle than this, maybe you should look it up as it's a very complex subject and one I can't be arsed going into.

Too much to discuss and too little time -I've got a life
Fiesty today aintcha?
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Fiesty today aintcha?
I've learned to not take smart arse comments to heart and shaft them the same way. Anything less is unAustralian (some irony in that!)

Besides, anyone who can use a computer can look up organisational behaviours - but to be fair unless you've experienced it in the *real world* it makes no sense, you don't get it or what makes people tick in work and how they can behave if not managed internally from top down. It's like saying racism don't exist .......and you're white

Having a feisty and daft day today

Last edited by sonlymewalter; Oct 3rd 2011 at 2:06 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.