Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australian women in the workplace ....

Australian women in the workplace ....

Old Sep 27th 2011, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice
Default Australian women in the workplace ....

I don't know if it is just me but ..... the Australian women seem very insecure. Worked in several office jobs now and I seem to have a problems with some of the women. Their isn't any team spirit.

They will think it's nothing to climb all over you to get the managers attention and be their pets. I am not one to climb up anyones arse but I'm friendly, helpful and a general all rounder.

I'm starting to wonder if it's me with the problem
Old Sep 28th 2011, 1:09 pm
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Australian women in the workplace ....

Originally Posted by scrawni
I don't know if it is just me but ..... the Australian women seem very insecure. Worked in several office jobs now and I seem to have a problems with some of the women. Their isn't any team spirit.

They will think it's nothing to climb all over you to get the managers attention and be their pets. I am not one to climb up anyones arse but I'm friendly, helpful and a general all rounder.

In a sense yes it is your problem. When in Rome...
Old Sep 28th 2011, 6:04 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

or mores to the point.....no it's not your problem and yes this is how it is....that's what I think furb meant when he/she says "when in Rome"...survival tactics mate
Old Sep 28th 2011, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Different work ethics I think, been here 4 years and still not used to it . Just sometimes it winds me up more than others
Old Sep 28th 2011, 10:37 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Different work ethics I think, been here 4 years and still not used to it . Just sometimes it winds me up more than others
Count your blessings. In my last properly paid to work in someone else's hell hole job I used to get smacked around the head by a bitch half my age. She did it for sport as she walked past then went and had lunch with the woman boss who was her mate.

It's just not worth fighting some battles so I left.

Agree there do seem to be a lot of cows in the work place. Unfortunately, the problem is yours though. You, apparently, aren't one of them.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 11:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

The office is a bit of a minefield here when it comes to personal relationships. Your right there is little team spirit but a lot of bitching.
Doubt if it is you that has the problem as my OH has experienced similar issues. She copes with it very well. Wonder if you find it being all comers with this behaviour or is it a local thing?
Old Sep 28th 2011, 11:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
Count your blessings. In my last properly paid to work in someone else's hell hole job I used to get smacked around the head by a bitch half my age. She did it for sport as she walked past then went and had lunch with the woman boss who was her mate.

It's just not worth fighting some battles so I left.

Agree there do seem to be a lot of cows in the work place. Unfortunately, the problem is yours though. You, apparently, aren't one of them.
What you didn't knock her lights out on the way out? Why did you allow the bitch to do that to you? My take on that is stand up to bullying and accept the price.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 11:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Doubt if you will get used to it and why should you? I personally wouldn't accept it if it is anyway directed at me. Then I have few problems with fronting up when the situation demand it.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

I must be lucky then, as I haven't noticed this at all in the two places I have worked. There are two EAs in my present workplace that are a bit of a nightmare but that's just because they've been there 20 odd years and think they run the show - but that's nothing new
Old Sep 28th 2011, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

Agression in many workplaces here in Brissie is seen as a desirable managment quality - Not just for women but for blokes as well. I'm so bored of being around insecure inexperienced alpha types who can't do their jobs properly but have been placed in position by some plonker who thinks they demonstrate leadership ability. I don't get it, as I'm a big fan of collaboration and mutual respect, but I get the impression I'm in the minority. It sucks, but the workplace here seems stuck in the 1980's in terms of management values, attitudes to co-workers, bullying etc. Guess we just need to dust off the shoulder pads and tough it out if we want to work here.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 11:58 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss
Agression in many workplaces here in Brissie is seen as a desirable managment quality - Not just for women but for blokes as well. I'm so bored of being around insecure inexperienced alpha types who can't do their jobs properly but have been placed in position by some plonker who thinks they demonstrate leadership ability. I don't get it, as I'm a big fan of collaboration and mutual respect, but I get the impression I'm in the minority. It sucks, but the workplace here seems stuck in the 1980's in terms of management values, attitudes to co-workers, bullying etc. Guess we just need to dust off the shoulder pads and tough it out if we want to work here.
Although you'd have to re-jig Dolly Parton's '9 to 5' to '8 to 3.30 with an hour for lunch and 5 smoko's'

What I find amusing up in FNQ is the number of built-like-brick shithouse mingers who work in government offices and the funny little polo shirts with logos on.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 12:03 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Although you'd have to re-jig Dolly Parton's '9 to 5' to '8 to 3.30 with an hour for lunch and 5 smoko's'

What I find amusing up in FNQ is the number of built-like-brick shithouse mingers who work in government offices and the funny little polo shirts with logos on.
Women in polo shirts with logos are always a worry.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 12:50 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
Women in polo shirts with logos are always a worry.
Full arm tats appear to be an aide d'emploi as well up here.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 12:53 am
Not actually a squirrel

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Full arm tats appear to be an aide d'emploi as well up here.
Accompanied, no doubt, by ears lined, top to bottom, with sleeper piercings.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 2:31 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends on the organization. I have worked in good and awful teams. Female politics are just weird everywhere in the world and at home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.