Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australian Vodafone Pre Paid using in UK???

Australian Vodafone Pre Paid using in UK???

Old Nov 30th 2010, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of
Question Australian Vodafone Pre Paid using in UK???

Has anyone took their Australian Vodafone Pre Paid mobile to UK and were you able to use it to ring back to Aus if needs be???
Old Nov 30th 2010, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of
Default Re: Australian Vodafone Pre Paid using in UK???

Originally Posted by pproehann
Has anyone took their Australian Vodafone Pre Paid mobile to UK and were you able to use it to ring back to Aus if needs be???
And the answer is...
Old Nov 30th 2010, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Dennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to all

Is this a wind up ????

It's a mobile not a land line....
Old Nov 30th 2010, 2:21 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dennis The Menace
Is this a wind up ????

It's a mobile not a land line....
No its not a wind-up, why would it be?
Might need to be unlocked. I bought a UK vodafone mobile and even with my Aus sim in it I couldn't call Aus until vodafone had unlocked it, though I could call the UK - thats unlocked the phone, not the sim card. I'd ring vodafone here before you go and get them to check it out.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Just unlocked my Iphone today in the hope it will work in the UK next week. Fingers crossed.

Keel
Old Nov 30th 2010, 5:48 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to use a Vodafone Aus sim card (unlocked phone is a given) outside of Australia, you have to sign an international roaming agreement with them before you leave. Guess how I found out I am not sure it works with the pre-paid plans though, might have to go ahead and link it to a credit card or a bank account, I just did not get this far.

to OP: calling there is much cheaper using any VoIP programs, I would have thought receiving calls on your Aussie number might be of some importance to bother with all this? Actually, you can set up an Aussie based Skype-in number that your friends in Australia can call you in, that is then transferred over internet to whereever you are, UK or elsewhere. In all, many other cheaper but bit more techy options for phone calls....

Last edited by newjersey; Nov 30th 2010 at 5:54 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Might need to be unlocked. I bought a UK vodafone mobile and even with my Aus sim in it I couldn't call Aus until vodafone had unlocked it, though I could call the UK - thats unlocked the phone, not the sim card. I'd ring vodafone here before you go and get them to check it out.
Correct not a wind up but it's an Aussie Vodafone Phone that's on contract here that I want to use in UK not sure if it's unlocked or not.

Originally Posted by keel
Just unlocked my Iphone today in the hope it will work in the UK next week. Fingers crossed.
Keel
Mines an iPhone as well, the iPhone bit should work as UK have 3G it's the sim bit that's going to be the problem. Was quite supprised to hear UK nolonger has thriving market in knock off phones anymore as thought someone would have a spare UK iPhone kicking around for me to use.

Originally Posted by newjersey
If you want to use a Vodafone Aus sim card (unlocked phone is a given) outside of Australia, you have to sign an international roaming agreement with them before you leave. Guess how I found out I am not sure it works with the pre-paid plans though, might have to go ahead and link it to a credit card or a bank account, I just did not get this far.

to OP: calling there is much cheaper using any VoIP programs, I would have thought receiving calls on your Aussie number might be of some importance to bother with all this? Actually, you can set up an Aussie based Skype-in number that your friends in Australia can call you in, that is then transferred over internet to whereever you are, UK or elsewhere. In all, many other cheaper but bit more techy options for phone calls....
I have some spare Vodafone Sims that they give you free when you get your phone why I'm never quite sure as you have just bought a contract phone but suppose you are supposed to dole out to friends to get more people on the brand.

So rather than racking money up on contract I was wanting to use the prepaid sim and some old vodafone vouchers that need using up to get me up and running in UK. Realise it will be a tad more exspensive as the calls will still have to do the world loop. Shouldn't have to ring back that much, may just go with using skype most of the time when needed.

Thanks for replies
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

I used my pre-paid vodafone when i was over there last time. I didn't do anything prior to leaving. I could call both Aus and UK numbers.

It did cost a fortune though, it would have been far more sensible to get a cheap pre-paid sim in the UK and used that whilst I was their.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Ideal would be to be able to top up UK Sim with the spare Aussie funds I have.

Originally Posted by newjersey

Originally Posted by keel

Keel
Originally Posted by Pollyana
Originally Posted by Daydreamer123
I used my pre-paid vodafone when i was over there last time. I didn't do anything prior to leaving. I could call both Aus and UK numbers.

It did cost a fortune though, it would have been far more sensible to get a cheap pre-paid sim in the UK and used that whilst I was their.