Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australian Sexually Dimporphic Accent

Australian Sexually Dimporphic Accent

Old Jul 31st 2013, 10:48 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Sexually Dimporphic Accent

Originally Posted by chris955
How can you say that? There is no class distinction in Straya mate The whole idea of class distinction here is so outdated its not funny. Most people we know are just ordinary working people, if that makes them working 'class' then fair enough, exactly the same as our friends in Australia. Some people need to drag themselves into this century.
As I say, just because your social group is all of one class does not mean other classes do not exist. Believe me, they do.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris N Lora
Sorry, I think you have been away from UK for to long, you would be very surprised what sort of person will live in say Hackney E.8 and SW.19 nowadays ... the post code I came from had no reflection on how I spoke, i lived in East and was never connected with a londoner accent!
Surely it is 'Ackney?

Del Boy saying he never shopped at 'Arrods and a posh lady replying obviously!
Old Jul 31st 2013, 6:28 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
As I say, just because your social group is all of one class does not mean other classes do not exist. Believe me, they do.
Of course, different socio economic groups exist in all countries. Its all this talk of 19th century class nonsense that gets me. Believe me I am living here.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 31st 2013, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Well, having taken time out to check out the word "dimporphic"...!

Earlier this month (July) I blogged my memories of my early days in England with a broad "cobber" accent, struggling to be understood. ("English, as she is spoke") And a bit before that, of some of the slang terms of my childhood ("A cupful of cold water"). I think it's the slang that blocks understanding even more than the accent, most times, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

Now I am old and English and easily understood by most of the people I converse with, with a neutral accent and virtually no slang. I have granddaughters (aged 12 and 9) who can't speak English at all fluently, so I damn well have to talk proper! That can be a bugger.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

Cosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant futureCosmo Knott has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Kapri
I find it interesting that you can't tell a persons class or occupation from their accent. I work with doctors and psychologists who have very broad Aussie accents. In the UK you wouldn't get this so much.
I expect most Australians can distinguish them though.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 11:41 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Well, having taken time out to check out the word "dimporphic"...!

Earlier this month (July) I blogged my memories of my early days in England with a broad "cobber" accent, struggling to be understood. ("English, as she is spoke") And a bit before that, of some of the slang terms of my childhood ("A cupful of cold water"). I think it's the slang that blocks understanding even more than the accent, most times, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

Now I am old and English and easily understood by most of the people I converse with, with a neutral accent and virtually no slang. I have granddaughters (aged 12 and 9) who can't speak English at all fluently, so I damn well have to talk proper! That can be a bugger.
What did 'Dimporphic' mean - I couldn't find it looking now - I thought the it was meant to be 'Dimorphic' but someone had 'fat' fingers
Old Aug 1st 2013, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

Chris N Lora will become famous soon enoughChris N Lora will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Surely it is 'Ackney?

Del Boy saying he never shopped at 'Arrods and a posh lady replying obviously!
Ahh, del boy came from Sarf landan didnt he? lol .. a lot of the posher persons are living in Hackney etc, "up coming areas" when really they cant afford knightsbridge kensington etc so spill the bull about run down parts of london up and coming.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

oops, yes Dimorphic. Probably too much home brew at the time.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 2:00 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike at Taree
oops, yes Dimorphic. Probably too much home brew at the time.
- I often find my typing and brain are not in sync and that has the same effect
Old Aug 1st 2013, 2:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

We got this Australian bloke at work, when he speaks he sounds like a twat. Can anyone explain this one?
Old Aug 1st 2013, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
We got this Australian bloke at work, when he speaks he sounds like a twat. Can anyone explain this one?
He's male
Old Aug 1st 2013, 7:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

How can you say that? There is no class distinction in Straya mate The whole idea of class distinction here is so outdated its not funny. Most people we know are just ordinary working people, if that makes them working 'class' then fair enough, exactly the same as our friends in Australia. Some people need to drag themselves into this century.
I was going to say, 'surely wrong'!

Of course, different socio economic groups exist in all countries. Its all this talk of 19th century class nonsense that gets me. Believe me I am living here.
That's sort of a more interesting point.
Perhaps the Uk has more of a connection and observance
of traditional class structures....the aristocracy is a literal example. In new countries, people like to think that attainment is more meritocratic.

my answer is that 19c class and values are alive and kicking in both countries..
if you come from an established class and hold it's values you know that the values are still highly relevant, because they are passed down.

I concede that there is a culture in Australia that leads people to believe it is a more egalitarian nation, but 19c and 20c class exists.

Both countries have a new middle class who probably never come into contact with established classes, and they are probably fortunate!