Wikiposts

Australian Natives

Old Aug 21st 2006, 12:19 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Natives

Originally Posted by seang
was just joshin'
See, you got carried away and posted more than once on a thread
Old Aug 21st 2006, 12:20 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
By way of illustrating the fact that I fully understand that this country is not some sort of endless holiday camp of joy and fun - here's a very interesting article on the BBC website in which a UN housing expert says that "Australia's Aborigines live in some of the worst housing in the world." Government's response along the lines of "We just don't dip our lid to anybody, you see. We're an independent country and an independent government," is intersting too.

Another brilliant start to another brilliant thread that seams to have just spiralled into anarchy how cool!!! arnt we missing someone though? i have to agree with one of the other posters, i worked with some Aborigines near Alice springs and they were so ashamed of how some of their people were behaving but saw few ways out of it, it was a complicated situation for them so we have no hope of ever getting to grips with it, but surely it shouldn't stop us talking about it! it didnt help the pollies trying to throw money at them in the 90's out of some kinda guilt.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 12:23 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
See, you got carried away and posted more than once on a thread
Indeed. Dont know how you folks do it
Old Aug 21st 2006, 12:28 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

was just joshin'
Your forgiven. Have a beer.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 12:29 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Your forgiven. Have a beer.
You were always my favourite
Old Aug 21st 2006, 12:30 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not upping the ante.......you can make do with the one beer
Old Aug 21st 2006, 12:31 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scossie
Ian Brown isn't Scottish!
Neither were the rest of The Stone Roses.
As for him, "torturing the English" I have to disagree.
I have some English friends who think that Ian is a bloody good musician!
OK! point taken Gordon Brown... been under the Aussie sun too long and hadn't had my evening nap, well off to bed so I can remember my British politicians correctly in the morning.

Last edited by annqldau; Aug 21st 2006 at 1:13 am.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 2:10 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Don't encourage him! I have to fight for the pc these days you know
Old Aug 21st 2006, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
If I can clarify what, I believe, the point Hiddenpaw was trying to make about exploitation. A vast percentage of "Aboriginal Art" souvenirs are not infact made by Indigenous Australians, but rather by European and American backpackers, with none of the profits going back into the "indigenous economy" to help raise the standard of living.

Some communities are trying diferrent means to raise the standard of living with various schemes eg emu farming.

I think that the point whoever is making is that these people don't want or need a higher standard of living. They are happy to go out and find a lizard to eat rather than eat in an expensive restaurant and don't drool over a new Holden Ute or a shed. But what do I know, I am only a pom afterall.

Last edited by NedKelly; Aug 21st 2006 at 7:32 am. Reason: spelling
Old Aug 21st 2006, 8:34 am

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
I think that the point whoever is making is that these people don't want or need a higher standard of living. They are happy to go out and find a lizard to eat rather than eat in an expensive restaurant and don't drool over a new Holden Ute or a shed. But what do I know, I am only a pom afterall.
I was agreeing in part with Whoever but mainly clarifying the comment about exploitation of Indigenous Australians and their culture by people in the tourist industry out for a quick buck.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 9:02 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Australian Natives

So whats the answer?
What would people see as a solution?
There's no single answer and no single solution.

But IMHO we'd be off to a damn' good start if Australia had more people like Noel Pearson.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
There's no single answer and no single solution.
Quite true.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 1:04 pm
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

That's great to say it's fine for Aboriginal children to go out and catch lizards instead of go to school because it's thier culture but the fact of the matter is that this is Australia and it has changed since the British colonised. Everybody HAS TO adapt to the changing times. We all have to fit into Australia's policies if we want to live here, regardless of what background we come from, we are ruled by Oz law and have to live in Oz society whether we like it or not.

If I had children would it be acceptable for me to tell my 10 year old that it was okay for him to go out and play football instead of go to class because they are thier own person and can make those sorts of adult decisions? No, because I have to follow the rule of the land.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deer Hunter
That's great to say it's fine for Aboriginal children to go out and catch lizards instead of go to school because it's thier culture but the fact of the matter is that this is Australia and it has changed since the British colonised. Everybody HAS TO adapt to the changing times. We all have to fit into Australia's policies if we want to live here, regardless of what background we come from, we are ruled by Oz law and have to live in Oz society whether we like it or not.

If I had children would it be acceptable for me to tell my 10 year old that it was okay for him to go out and play football instead of go to class because they are thier own person and can make those sorts of adult decisions? No, because I have to follow the rule of the land.
I did not say it was fine for Aboriginal children to go out and catch lizards instead of going to school. I said they are happy to go out and catch lizards. There is a big difference.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 1:40 pm
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

I did not say it was fine for Aboriginal children to go out and catch lizards instead of going to school. I said they are happy to go out and catch lizards. There is a big difference.
Fair enough, I think most children would be happy to go out and catch lizards. My point was that we all need to fit into Australian society, regardless of our background. And that doesn't have to mean wanting to go to a posh restaurant instead of having croc steak for dinner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.