Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australian jobs protected by freeze on foreign workers

Wikiposts

Australian jobs protected by freeze on foreign workers

Old Mar 16th 2009, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Australian jobs protected by freeze on foreign workers

Originally Posted by BAY
You've hit the nail on the head, no-one, including NU-Labour, have figures, because immigration to the UK is uncontrolled.
Again, why should they? The EU has immigration figures.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 3:35 pm
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Devlin
Stop ruining a good old, ill informed rant with "facts"
Old Mar 16th 2009, 3:35 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bcworld
Like Australia and New Zealand inter-migration you mean?

I think the controls are in some ways built in. The large numbers of people coming from Eastern Europe to the UK over recent years filled the requirements of parts of the economy - many people welcomed them. There is plenty of evidence now to suggest that many of them are leaving the UK for good as the economic situation worsens.

Of course there are people who abuse the system, but I have to admit I tend not to dwell on them because, I believe they are a small minority and it's very difficult to find something intelligent to read about the subject without 'masses', 'countless others' and 'untold millions' cropping up somewhere.
'...I tend not to dwell on them ...'

How nice for you not to have to dwell on them , especially as as it doesn't affect you living away from the UK in Melbourne. Shame the people in such places as Slough and Peterborough in the UK can't do the same but they can't because it directly affects them
Old Mar 16th 2009, 3:38 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Devlin
Maybe, just maybe, because they govern ? the UK and are responsible for the economic welfare and security of the UK !
Old Mar 16th 2009, 3:40 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY

How nice for you not to have to dwell on them , especially as as it doesn't affect you living away from the UK in Melbourne. Shame the people in such places as Slough and Peterborough in the UK can't do the same but they can't because it directly affects them
Do you bother dwelling on how many illegal immigrants pile in the US every year from south of the border? Of course you don't, why would anyone use energy in dwelling on another country's immigration problems if they don't impact on their own lives? You'd go insane worrying about stuff you can do nothing about.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 3:46 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY

It didn't affect me when I lived there.....in some ways it improved my day to day life actually.

And it doesn't seem to affect anyone I know still living in the UK.....not even my friends living in West London next door to one of the largest and longest established Polish communities in the UK. They must be putting a brave face on I expect.....can't imagine why though?
Old Mar 16th 2009, 3:52 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Do you bother dwelling on how many illegal immigrants pile in the US every year from south of the border? Of course you don't, why would anyone use energy in dwelling on another country's immigration problems if they don't impact on their own lives? You'd go insane worrying about stuff you can do nothing about.
What a wonderful caring attitude you have.

I am living in Perth but I am English and therefore care about what is happening to the UK/England.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 3:56 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

It didn't affect me when I lived there.....in some ways it improved my day to day life actually.

And it doesn't seem to affect anyone I know still living in the UK.....not even my friends living in West London next door to one of the largest and longest established Polish communities in the UK. They must be putting a brave face on I expect.....can't imagine why though?
You also have a wonderful caring attitude. If the problems don't directly affect myself or anyone I know then hey there can't be any problems. Try living in Slough or Peterborough.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 4:04 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
You also have a wonderful caring attitude. If the problems don't directly affect myself or anyone I know then hey there can't be any problems. Try living in Slough or Peterborough.
Well actually I'm extending a bit of compassion towards people who made a decision rather like you did - to seek a better life elsewhere - rather than trying to demonise each and every one of them.

I guess it also depends on what 'affects' you - people have posted on here because they got riled up hearing people talk in their native tongue on the bus or the saw a sign in Polish. I hope they never go for a walk through the streets of Melbourne!

Yes, I know there are infrastructure issues, as there are in many countries with high intakes of immigrants....including this one.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 4:22 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

Well actually I'm extending a bit of compassion towards people who made a decision rather like you did - to seek a better life elsewhere - rather than trying to demonise each and every one of them.

I guess it also depends on what 'affects' you - people have posted on here because they got riled up hearing people talk in their native tongue on the bus or the saw a sign in Polish. I hope they never go for a walk through the streets of Melbourne!

Yes, I know there are infrastructure issues, as there are in many countries with high intakes of immigrants....including this one.
'...rather like you did - to seek a better life elsewhere - rather than trying to demonise each and every one of them'

Steady on there. Who said I came here for a better life ? I didn't. I had a good life in England, just as I do in Perth. I came for the adventure. Demonise ? !! I've not tried to demonise anyone.

'Yes, I know there are infrastructure issues, as there are in many countries with high intakes of immigrants....including this one'

But at least Australia has a limit on the number of immigrants, the UK doesn't

Last edited by BAY; Mar 16th 2009 at 4:24 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 4:40 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
What a wonderful caring attitude you have.

I am living in Perth but I am English and therefore care about what is happening to the UK/England.
I do actually but about stuff that a) affects me and mine; b) about which I can possibly do something and c) serious mindblowing problems around the world about which I can do nothing but which, in my opinion deserve my thoughts. Apparent but unknown numbers of illegal immigrants in any country do not require my thoughts.

I love the UK and care a great deal about what's happening but in my view, there is nothing happening that is doing the country any harm so there's nothing I need concern myself with in that respect.

I disagree with you, so what?
Old Mar 16th 2009, 4:44 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I do actually but about stuff that a) affects me and mine; b) about which I can possibly do something and c) serious mindblowing problems around the world about which I can do nothing but which, in my opinion deserve my thoughts. Apparent but unknown numbers of illegal immigrants in any country do not require my thoughts.

I love the UK and care a great deal about what's happening but in my view, there is nothing happening that is doing the country any harm so there's nothing I need concern myself with in that respect.

I disagree with you, so what?
'...there is nothing happening that is doing the country any harm ...'

Are you serious ? The UK is in economic meltdown and there is nothing happening that is doing the country any harm ?

Last edited by BAY; Mar 16th 2009 at 4:47 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 4:52 pm
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BAY

Are you serious ? .
Like, yeah totally.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 5:03 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by BAY
Steady on there. Who said I came here for a better life ? I didn't. I had a good life in England, just as I do in Perth. I came for the adventure. Demonise ? !! I've not tried to demonise anyone.
Fair enough....your beef is with the government...I accept that. We'll leave the demonising to the media.

But as for your sense of adventure, well it didn't seem to be top of your list at this point:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...6&postcount=17

Can't believe you could had a 'good life' in such a place! What a surprise to see the East Europeans pop up too!

Originally Posted by BAY
Are you serious ? The UK is in economic meltdown and there is nothing happening that is doing the country any harm ?
Like much of the rest of Europe, the US, Japan, much of Asia...in fact like a lot of the world right now - not sure how the UK's immigration policies are relevant to that though.

Last edited by bcworld; Mar 16th 2009 at 5:18 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 5:20 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

Fair enough....your beef is with the government...I accept that. We'll leave the demonising to the media.

But as for your sense of adventure, well it didn't seem to be top of your list at this point:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...6&postcount=17

Can't believe you could have a 'good life' in such a place! What a surprise to see the East Europeans pop up too!

Like much of the rest of Europe, the US, Japan, much of Asia...in fact like a lot of the world right now - not sure how the UK's immigration policies are relevant to that though.

All the points in the link are relevent to what has happened to the UK since NU Labour came to power, now add economic meltdown thanks to Gordon Browns incompetence. However, I have come to Perth for the adventure and am having a great time

The UK's immigration policies (or lack of them ) are relevent to the economic meltdown as it affects jobs available to British workers. Whats was it that Gordon said ? 'British jobs for British people ?'

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.