Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australian Identity. What Is It?

Australian Identity. What Is It?

Old Dec 19th 2017, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Identity. What Is It?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
As a South Londoner born and bred, and living in a like for like area here in Melbourne. Lewisham Borough v Moreland Council ,I honestly believe Melbourne does it just that little bit better.

As far as I'm concerned Multiculturism is a strong part of the Australian Identity, you only have to spend a little bit of time in this region to appreciate that as a stone cold fact.

I've just come back from my walk down my local park, Islamic people with their hookah pipes and charcoal bbq's alongside hipsters reading hard paper books in the sunshine and Meditteraneans blocking the paths and walking very very slowly, all doing their own thing.

In a little, while I may go up to the local supermarket and get served bacon by an headscarf wearing girl at one of the local delis, that really does happen here..... Whilst walking amongst the diverse sound of many different lanaguages..... "Is that Macedonian or Turkish again? " god that's hard to pick that one.

In Melbournes North and the supposed heartland of Australia the Western burbs of Sydney all this stuff really happens. I love it and never feel threatened here in the way I did sometimes, actually more like quite often, walking home late at night in Peckham, especially when the local bouncing ball club was chucking out the rude boys late at night.

So modern harmonious Multicultrism and all it's spin offs in food, events, street vibes spreading it's influence slowly but surely amongst the wider Australian community ticks the boxes for me.
I found my area of London exactly what you found in Melbourne, only in my opinion more so. I refer to W2 where would usually hear several languages being spoken before getting to the end of the street.

Great place to be as a young fellow with such diversity and very safe in the main. A true example of a place where the world came to town.

Moving out to London's green, leafy suburbs, I missed the vibe so much returned to the area within six months.
Old Dec 20th 2017, 12:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Similar joke about Belgians.....But Yes I know very true in Malaysia's case. One of the few truly multi cultural countries that recognise difference in society.
Absolute rubbish. Malaysia has a hate filled pecking order depending on where you are from. Same all over Asia. Head in the sand again.
Old Dec 20th 2017, 12:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest the Right Wing/Nationalists certainly do suggest otherwise. The Left on the other hand are accused of diluting national identity.

All depends on the eye of the beholder. But I would suggest it is above politics or anything that be altered/ scraped by the means of a pen or vote.

Got to say I blame some elements of the PC Athiest left for carrying on about Xmas Decorations and things like Pork at Townhall functions rather than any outcry from Muslims. All of their attempts to create an equal society have just caused more division.
Old Dec 20th 2017, 12:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Got to say I blame some elements of the PC Athiest left for carrying on about Xmas Decorations and things like Pork at Townhall functions rather than any outcry from Muslims. All of their attempts to create an equal society have just caused more division.
Old Dec 20th 2017, 12:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I found my area of London exactly what you found in Melbourne, only in my opinion more so. I refer to W2 where would usually hear several languages being spoken before getting to the end of the street.

You can't really say that without spending time here, or in Western Sydney.

I'd say we have more gentrification closer by in Melbournes North compared to Western Sydney and Western Sydney is more clan like, however the mix of people in Melbourne and Sydney are very similar, plus the way the different ethnics associate with each other is very much the same.

Where Aus really excels is how quickly they are willing to take on the handle of being identified as Aussie or more specifically Melburnians or Sydneysiders. That Gentrification is where Melbournes North and W2 would be very much alike in vibe.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 20th 2017 at 12:53 am.
Old Dec 20th 2017, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My take on Turnbull's speech regarding Australian identity being multi cultural, if being true, would mean we celebrate Eid and Chinese New Year and Depvali as public holidays ....then there may be some truth in what he suggested.
Not meaning to have a go at you here, as this is my 3rd time at quoting you.

Funny you should mention the Eid thing, it's just that over the last 5 years maybe even only 3 or 4, that local non muslims have really begun to recognise Eid as a time to celebrate. Basically, everyone around here does say it and acknowledge it to each other. So I think that public holiday thing for Eid at least could well be on the cards in the future.

If you look back, I've greeted "Eid Mubarak" as have a couple of others for the past two years on these boards.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 20th 2017 at 1:26 am.
Old Dec 20th 2017, 2:07 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Absolute rubbish. Malaysia has a hate filled pecking order depending on where you are from. Same all over Asia. Head in the sand again.
Malaysians who are not ethnic, muslim Malaysians - such as those of Chinese or Indian heritage - are actively discriminated against in relation to government jobs, higher education and in big business. This is one of the reasons why so many of them are in Australia
Old Dec 20th 2017, 2:13 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Agree. A lot of the shite that goes on about this today does not come from the people being 'discriminated' against but rather the PC, feminist left - who see themselves as some kind of crusaders for their cause

Pathetic
Old Dec 20th 2017, 2:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz

Hate filled picking order? How long have you lived there? When was the last time a mosque, church, temple or other place of worship vandalised, burnt down or otherwise treated with contempt?

What other countries allow primary education to be conducted in minority language schools?

Where else do you find a church, mosque and temple on the same street co existing?

The problem being in Malaysia is institutionalised racism which played a part in rectifying an economic imbalance between races after independence. But has long out lived its usefulness and should be repealed.

This does not infer a hatred between races where is so would have drastic consequences.

Like I wrote previously, Malaysia is a nation that recognises all religious holidays as no hatred in that what so ever.

I've a great idea. How about visiting one day then write about the hatred you witness on a street level?

Same all over Asia? Really? If that's the best observation you can make, hardly worth leaving your suburban paradise then .
Old Dec 20th 2017, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Agree. A lot of the shite that goes on about this today does not come from the people being 'discriminated' against but rather the PC, feminist left - who see themselves as some kind of crusaders for their cause

Pathetic
Not quite there yet. It comes from both extremes, Left and Right, in order to validate their particular ideological position.
Old Dec 20th 2017, 2:44 am
Proudly Deplorable

Not quite there yet. It comes from both extremes, Left and Right, in order to validate their particular ideological position.
Rubbish

Shit comes from both left and right extremes, but the shit that is in relation to PC'ness, happy holidays, no Christmas decorations or nativity scenes etc only comes from the left
Old Dec 20th 2017, 2:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Malaysians who are not ethnic, muslim Malaysians - such as those of Chinese or Indian heritage - are actively discriminated against in relation to government jobs, higher education and in big business. This is one of the reasons why so many of them are in Australia

You need to look at the entire picture though but basically true. It has been in place since the 70's and came about after the 69 communal riots , when several hundred Chinese were killed and the country was indeed in danger of civil war. What came about was meant to address the imbalance of economic power, largely in the hands of the Chinese. It went far to far and Chinese long impacted by the political outcome,

But you only needed to look at the cities to see the Chinese wealth everywhere in business (akin to previously whites in RSA) The Malay remained largely farmers, fishermen, manual workers and the like.

I doubt if any original population on earth would have tolerated that outcome indefinitely , hence it had to be addressed to maintain harmony.

But as I wrote should have been ended end of last century, or at the very least phased out over several years.
Old Dec 20th 2017, 2:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Rubbish

Shit comes from both left and right extremes, but the shit that is in relation to PC'ness, happy holidays, no Christmas decorations or nativity scenes etc only comes from the left
That's by the way. The real shit is those that preach constant intolerance and hatred in subtle forms to create mischief.

The rest is or should be well known as nobody minds at all decorations, apart from those of the rubble rousing Right in particular looking to create division.
Old Dec 20th 2017, 3:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not meaning to have a go at you here, as this is my 3rd time at quoting you.

Funny you should mention the Eid thing, it's just that over the last 5 years maybe even only 3 or 4, that local non muslims have really begun to recognise Eid as a time to celebrate. Basically, everyone around here does say it and acknowledge it to each other. So I think that public holiday thing for Eid at least could well be on the cards in the future.

If you look back, I've greeted "Eid Mubarak" as have a couple of others for the past two years on these boards.

No problems quote me all you want. I can only hope you are right with the public holiday for Eid and Chinese New Year, It would certainly show Australia has come of age and finding ever greater comfort in the location of the world it finds itself.

Our neighbour is the largest Muslim populated nation in the world. Such a gesture would improve relations no end in all forms.

It would be nice indeed if we greeted one another in recognition of 'special days' I have certainly had Malay Muslims wish me a Happy Christmas , on at least two occasions lucky enough to spend Christmas in that country. The stores has Christmas decorations, I recall one department store had a massive Santa outside wishing those that celebrate Christmas to Have A Happy one.

No Muslim, Hindu or Buddhist would blink an eye lid. Way it should be,,,,,,
Old Dec 20th 2017, 3:38 am
Proudly Deplorable

That's by the way
So you agree with me then

There's still hope for you yet Herman!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.