Australian Identity

Old Dec 26th 2006, 11:24 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australian Identity

A festive tale of Australian nationality.

I and my Australian wife live in England and have done since returning from Australia in late 2002.

At Christmas time, Birthdays, Wedding Anniversarys we get sent the customery presents from my wifes relatives and friends. With more than a little exasperation, I find that the presents always have to be a reminder of Australia.

In the time I spent in Australia, friends and familly form the UK would send gifts such as a nice wallet, watch, money etc that were just what I would recieve if I were back home in England.

However my wife and I recieve such items as,

Australia Calender

Australian "Address book" with Australian animals plastered all over the cover clever spelling, you guessed it "Australia"

Confectionary, such as kangeroo poo (choc coated nuts) with proudly Australian made wrote on it.

Aussie surf branded clothes

I could go on, but Im a bit pissed and cant remember what other guff we have been given.

What is it with the Aussies? Even 12000 miles away the small minded parochialism is hitting us fast and thick. Maybe Im over reacting, I can understand that they may think we may like a remimber of Austraila, but i find it really annoying.

The time I spent in Oz, I cant think of anything sent to me that screamed England, apart from a king sized pot of marmite?

Yet more Aussie insecurity, or Eatstatic being Scrooge?

Bah Humbug!

Merry Christmas to you all!!!!!!!!!1

Old Dec 27th 2006, 12:20 am
Living the nightmare

Dizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to all
Default Re: Australian Identity

Stick em on Ebay over there, I'm sure you will get lots of UK-based Aussies interested
Originally Posted by eatstatic

I and my Australian wife live in England and have done since returning from Australia in late 2002.

At Christmas time, Birthdays, Wedding Anniversarys we get sent the customery presents from my wifes relatives and friends. With more than a little exasperation, I find that the presents always have to be a reminder of Australia.

In the time I spent in Australia, friends and familly form the UK would send gifts such as a nice wallet, watch, money etc that were just what I would recieve if I were back home in England.

Australia Calender

Australian "Address book" with Australian animals plastered all over the cover clever spelling, you guessed it "Australia"

Confectionary, such as kangeroo poo (choc coated nuts) with proudly Australian made wrote on it.

I could go on, but Im a bit pissed and cant remember what other guff we have been given.

What is it with the Aussies? Even 12000 miles away the small minded parochialism is hitting us fast and thick. Maybe Im over reacting, I can understand that they may think we may like a remimber of Austraila, but i find it really annoying.

The time I spent in Oz, I cant think of anything sent to me that screamed England, apart from a king sized pot of marmite?

Bah Humbug!

Old Dec 27th 2006, 12:22 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Australia Calender

Bah Humbug!

maybe you could be thankful for receving presents? just a thought
Old Dec 27th 2006, 1:10 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

What intrigues me is the idea of ''Australian mateship '' its bandied about left right and centre and i have never come across anything of the kind and for a country supposedly founded on convict stock it amazes me that they are encouraged to dob anybody in for just about any kind of misdemeanour.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 1:15 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Australia Calender

Bah Humbug!

We are guilty of that to and we are english ,i think it might have something to do with the fact that many of the fl aura and fauna and kangaroo poo is unavailable elsewhere in the world .Any way you got me thinking as to why they do it and why i do it .
Old Dec 27th 2006, 3:22 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Australia Calender

Bah Humbug!

Whats wrong with being proud of your country, do you think Aussies should go back to having a British identity like they did 50 years ago when they saw themselves as Brits living on the other side of the world.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 4:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Funny that, we get stacks of pressies of coasters showing quaint olde english scenes, calenders of quaint olde english scenes olde english fudge and toffee and other such crap that we had happily left behind.

Pressies are a bummer aren't they.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 4:21 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Australia Calender

Bah Humbug!

Give them to charity you ungrateful bastard.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 4:48 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Give them to charity you ungrateful bastard.
Matt, you must stop talking in riddles
Old Dec 27th 2006, 4:50 am
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Whats wrong with being proud of your country, do you think Aussies should go back to having a British identity like they did 50 years ago when they saw themselves as Brits living on the other side of the world.
eatstatics post shows the Australian identity always in your face. They don't have to have a British Identity, but they have done very well at getting rid of any sign of our involvement in their countries history. It is strange how American they have become.

eatstatics give the gifts to a local school .
Old Dec 27th 2006, 5:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassenach
What intrigues me is the idea of ''Australian mateship '' its bandied about left right and centre and i have never come across anything of the kind and for a country supposedly founded on convict stock it amazes me that they are encouraged to dob anybody in for just about any kind of misdemeanour.
Is this trait really different in the UK, I thought it was a sign of the times, rather than an Aussie thing.

Whatever it is, it's my ultimate pet hate, and I hate to admit it but you do seem to have a point.

I was under the impression it was a sign of the times. I've had all sorts of bother under my role as shop steward in not revealing my sources to bosses, who seem to think I'm acting unusually. With the retort "it's just a work place issue" I dont care a confidence is a confidence, and I'm not reporting any wrong doings to any boss no matter what I think of the action.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 5:41 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Heaven forbid that a multi rapist is locked up cos someone dobbed on him.

No, no, no.....we are men. Honour amongst thieves and all that.

We must uphold the spirit of the leghopping Vatican acolytes.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 6:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Heaven forbid that a multi rapist is locked up cos someone dobbed on him.

No, no, no.....we are men. Honour amongst thieves and all that.

We must uphold the spirit of the leghopping Vatican acolytes.
Bit extreme, specifically what I'm on about is the multitudes at work that are more than willing to dob someone in because they told someone they are taking a sickie tomorrow to go to the beach, and similar types of what seems to be, work atrocities.

I'm hoping that this dobbing happens in the UK as well ?
Old Dec 27th 2006, 6:43 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sassenach
Sorry I missed that, what did you say? I was just puting my hosepipe away.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 6:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Sorry I missed that, what did you say? I was just puting my hosepipe away.
In this rain?! Now I know you're crackers!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.