Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australian flag - Discuss

Australian flag - Discuss

Old Jan 28th 2011, 3:50 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian flag - Discuss

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
I am not going to take the bait... I am not going to take the bait... I am not going to take the bait...
:curse: ARRRRGGGHHHH

ENOUGH ALREADY WITH THE CAPITULATION JOKES!!!!

We have fought and won a few wars you know... And anyway, we are a peaceful peoplesometimes
Look, when it comes to mobs turning cars over and blockading ports you lot are right up there
Old Jan 28th 2011, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Look, when it comes to mobs turning cars over and blockading ports you lot are right up there
Yeah, I know. It's the national sport. Forget football and rugby or even pétanque. Car burning all the way! No wonder I chose to live as far away as possible (well, could have gone to NZ but didn't like the accint )
Old Jan 28th 2011, 3:58 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
Yeah, I know. It's the national sport. Forget football and rugby or even pétanque. Car burning all the way! No wonder I chose to live as far away as possible (well, could have gone to NZ but didn't like the accint )
I quite like the Kiwi accint actually ... I also like the taller women and they seem to be feeding 'em fertiliser over there.

But I digress ... as usual ... and it's bud-get, love.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:02 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by fish.01
I think this is the one you are looking for: http://www.roymorgan.com/news/polls/2010/4495/
Pretty much the same result.
April 2010
Support for retaining the Australian Flag is strong with 69% of Australians (up 16% since February 1998) supporting the retention of the Union Jack as part of the Australian Flag.

This special telephone Morgan Poll was conducted in late April 2010 (April 28/29, 2010) over two nights with an Australia-wide cross section of 652 Australians aged 14+.
http://www.roymorgan.com/news/polls/2010/4495/
A poll of 652 voters with the same result as the one with 17,000 voters

Old Jan 31st 2011, 4:22 am
BE Enthusiast

sammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant future

Well I think even if Australia becomes a republic, the current flag represents the country's history, and I don't see what's wrong with that, and the only thing I find confusing is how similar it is to the Kiwi flag!!
Old Jan 31st 2011, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

sammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DibDob
This is just inherently racist against The Welsh

Leave our flag alone.

Our flag bears the stars that blaze at night
In our southern sky of blue
And that little old flag in the corner
That's part of our heritage too,
It's for the English, the Scots and the Irish
Who were sent to the end of the earth
The rogues and the schemers and dreamers
Who gave our Australia its birth.
And you who are shouting to change it
You don't seem to understand
It's the flag of our laws and language
Not the flag of a far away land
There are plenty of people who'll tell you
How when Europe was plunged into night
The little old flag in the corner
Was their symbol of freedom and light.
It don't mean we owe our allegiance
To a forgotten imperial dream
We've the stars to show where we're going
And the old flag to show where we've been
It's only an old piece of bunting
It's only an old coloured rag
But there are thousands who died for its honor
And fell in defence of our flag.
[/QUOTE]
What a great poem, not heard that before.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 5:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Vimy Ridge

That flag has only recently been flown at Vimy Ridge after a campaign in Canada to reinstate it.... decades after the maple leaf became Canada's flag.
So which one should we fly? I can only find references that suggest the Federation flag, Red Ensign or Union Flag being the most popular?
Old Jan 31st 2011, 5:23 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fish.01
So which one should we fly? I can only find references that suggest the Federation flag, Red Ensign or Union Flag being the most popular?
Which one should you fly? How about the current one?

I guess my point was that despite Canada adopting a new flag decades ago that parts of Canadian society still hanker after its old flag and Australia just ditching the current flag, particularly after all this time, might not be as easy as you might think.
Canada had more division around its flag, with a large part of its people French speaking and thinking. That's not the case in Australia, which has great attachment to its current flag.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 7:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Which one should you fly? How about the current one?

I guess my point was that despite Canada adopting a new flag decades ago that parts of Canadian society still hanker after its old flag and Australia just ditching the current flag, particularly after all this time, might not be as easy as you might think.
Canada had more division around its flag, with a large part of its people French speaking and thinking. That's not the case in Australia, which has great attachment to its current flag.
Yeah I agree, I don't think it will be easy. You might agree that Canadians on the whole though would be very thankful for their current great flag. And yeah I agree like Canada there will always be a group of conservative Australians whose strong attachment to the monarchy trumps other considerations - like John Howard I guess who spent the decade pushing the current flag through silly legislation. Obviously I am not suggesting they are the only reasons to prefer the current flag.

Personally I think you can't change history so history does not rely on every symbol to preserve it - it will be as it always was. The future, on the other hand, can be shaped and reflected by symbols as the great nations of USA, Canada and the UK have shown us. Australia will have multiple other flags with the Union Jack (state flags etc) and other symbols and reminders that will mean the past will never be forgotten - as if it could be.

The current Australian flag was submitted within limited parameters to meet the approval of the Crown - it was not a free choice made by Australians because at that time Australian free choice had not arrived yet. A uniquely Australian flag was never properly considered as the times dictated. The Australian prime minister was even mildly rebuked by the colonial office in London for attempting it. I believe the time for that Australian choice will come and we will get a flag that strongly and solely represents us. Maybe someone clever will even design a flag as great as the Union Jack one day

Last edited by fish.01; Jan 31st 2011 at 7:11 am.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

IrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DibDob
This is just inherently racist against The Welsh

Leave our flag alone.

[COLOR="Blue"]Our flag bears the stars that blaze at night
In our southern sky of blue
And that little old flag in the corner
That's part of our heritage too,
It's for the English, the Scots and the Irish
Who were sent to the end of the earth
The rogues and the schemers and dreamers
Who gave our Australia its birth..............>>>
I think the Welsh were the Guards; it was the English, the Scots and the Irish who were the rogues, schemers and dreamers.

Although, in the end it was probably the Irish who were at the wrong end of the stick.