Australian accents

Old Aug 10th 2020, 1:35 pm
  #1  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: England
Posts: 3,613
brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Australian accents

Aussie accents....I have just watched an Australian reality TV show (I know I know but it did get me through a pile of ironing..plus loads of repeats on TV at the moment...well that's my excuse lol) anyway the contestants were from various Australian states and different backgrounds etc...but they accents to me sounded the same..I thought so when we lived in Australia but after all these years away I thought I might be able to detect "state accent's" but nope....is this right..or is my hearing also going with along with other things (I have also just stopped at the services in Newport Pagnell in my way to London) asked for a latte..and had to repeat it twice (my northern accent)..and yes the barista was English....... southern though.which is not her fault lol
brits1 is offline  
Old Aug 10th 2020, 11:18 pm
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,068
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Australian accents

Originally Posted by brits1 View Post
Aussie accents....I have just watched an Australian reality TV show (I know I know but it did get me through a pile of ironing..plus loads of repeats on TV at the moment...well that's my excuse lol) anyway the contestants were from various Australian states and different backgrounds etc...but they accents to me sounded the same..I thought so when we lived in Australia but after all these years away I thought I might be able to detect "state accent's" but nope....is this right..or is my hearing also going with along with other things (I have also just stopped at the services in Newport Pagnell in my way to London) asked for a latte..and had to repeat it twice (my northern accent)..and yes the barista was English....... southern though.which is not her fault lol
Definately accents in Oz.

I live in Sydney so to my ear Melbourne is really bogan and Brisbane is a bit slow.
Beoz is offline  
Old Aug 11th 2020, 10:41 am
  #3  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
moneypenny20's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 64,853
moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Australian accents

Only one I recognise is South Australia. No clue on differences between all the others. Generally speaking obviously.
moneypenny20 is offline  
Old Aug 11th 2020, 1:01 pm
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: England
Posts: 3,613
brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Australian accents

Originally Posted by Beoz View Post
Definately accents in Oz.

I live in Sydney so to my ear Melbourne is really bogan and Brisbane is a bit slow.
I just could not tell ..some of the "out backers" sounded a bit like crocodile dundee but our neighbours in aus were from Melbourne and they sounded the same as our other neighbours born and bred in WA. I have just driven to cambridgeshire from Buckinghamshire and the difference in accents (not far from each other) is very noticeable, you would think it would be the same in Australia especially given the distance between areas and at one time the isolation of certain States.
brits1 is offline  
Old Aug 11th 2020, 9:08 pm
  #5  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,068
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Australian accents

Originally Posted by brits1 View Post
I just could not tell ..some of the "out backers" sounded a bit like crocodile dundee but our neighbours in aus were from Melbourne and they sounded the same as our other neighbours born and bred in WA. I have just driven to cambridgeshire from Buckinghamshire and the difference in accents (not far from each other) is very noticeable, you would think it would be the same in Australia especially given the distance between areas and at one time the isolation of certain States.
Maybe it's a time thing. Australia only being 200 odd years old hasn't had enough time to develop varied accents.

To the next extreme is European dialects. I recall being in Switzerland about 10 years ago in a small town. There were 2 farmers from the next valley over having a conversation and the locals of this small town couldn't understand them.
Beoz is offline  
Old Aug 12th 2020, 6:47 am
  #6  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Perth
Posts: 6,320
the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Australian accents

No difference between states in Australia with regards to accent. (unlike most anywhere else in Europe/UK/Asia/South America/USA. ) I would say New Zealand and possibly Canada (unsure of the latter) are similar. Where Australian accents seem to differ is probably class based , but even there know some in position that speak with a broad Aussie accent. I think a probable advantage is one can move around the country and not be 'picked up', usually coming from elsewhere intra state. Unlike UK and parts of Europe kids won't be 'picked on' at school for example for speaking different within the Australian context. (perhaps for other reasons though) Probably location can be a factor as well. One can put on or tone done the accent as well, according to the situation at hand.
the troubadour is offline  
Old Aug 13th 2020, 3:00 am
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 307
abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Australian accents

According to my daughter, who is much more au fait about such things, and has a much better ear for regional accents than I do, "state of origin" can be reliably assessed by an Aussie's pronunciation of the word "pool".

abner is offline  
Old Aug 13th 2020, 3:28 am
  #8  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,068
Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Australian accents

Originally Posted by abner View Post
According to my daughter, who is much more au fait about such things, and has a much better ear for regional accents than I do, "state of origin" can be reliably assessed by an Aussie's pronunciation of the word "pool".
Its "pewl".
Beoz is offline  
Old Aug 13th 2020, 4:13 am
  #9  
Concierge
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 16,003
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Australian accents

Originally Posted by brits1 View Post
I just could not tell ..some of the "out backers" sounded a bit like crocodile dundee but our neighbours in aus were from Melbourne and they sounded the same as our other neighbours born and bred in WA. I have just driven to cambridgeshire from Buckinghamshire and the difference in accents (not far from each other) is very noticeable, you would think it would be the same in Australia especially given the distance between areas and at one time the isolation of certain States.
Same here Brits, lived here all my life (apart from 3 years in the UK) and there's no discernible difference that can be attributed across the board to any particular State. Individual differences within States and within Australia as a whole, most definitely. It would be weird if everyone spoke with exactly the same accent/intonation/inflection.

Are you still living in the north west of England? Hope all's going well for you.
spouse of scouse is offline  
Old Aug 14th 2020, 12:43 pm
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: England
Posts: 3,613
brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Australian accents

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Same here Brits, lived here all my life (apart from 3 years in the UK) and there's no discernible difference that can be attributed across the board to any particular State. Individual differences within States and within Australia as a whole, most definitely. It would be weird if everyone spoke with exactly the same accent/intonation/inflection.

Are you still living in the north west of England? Hope all's going well for you.
Hi hope your well and good? I was visitng Caldy the other day and was thinking of you when I drove along the front at New Brighton.....we are still in the peak District but not for long , we have move been planning to move for quite a while now (it's lovely here but we miss being near to the coast) but life just keeps.throwing things in the way lol anyway I have been zig zagging the country below Birmingham looking at area's ...a fantastic way of seeing the counties etc and I have had a lot of fun and now I have a short list now .thank the gods lol how is Perth? is the winter a mild one? It's my favourite time of the year there...mad to some I know lol. we're having a lovely summer so far which is a bonus. Take care and lovely to hear from you​​
brits1 is offline  
Old Aug 16th 2020, 5:27 am
  #11  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
GeniB's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 6,313
GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Australian accents

Originally Posted by brits1 View Post
Aussie accents....I have just watched an Australian reality TV show (I know I know but it did get me through a pile of ironing..plus loads of repeats on TV at the moment...well that's my excuse lol) anyway the contestants were from various Australian states and different backgrounds etc...but they accents to me sounded the same..I thought so when we lived in Australia but after all these years away I thought I might be able to detect "state accent's" but nope....is this right..or is my hearing also going with along with other things (I have also just stopped at the services in Newport Pagnell in my way to London) asked for a latte..and had to repeat it twice (my northern accent)..and yes the barista was English....... southern though.which is not her fault lol

My sister has lived in Oz for almost 45 yrs now and never lost her Manchester accent completely ..It just has an upward lilt at the end of every sentence Envy you being in the North West right now. We should have been in the Lake District for the whole of this month ,and visiting our old home in Southport CV19 put paid to that idea.
GeniB is offline  
Old Aug 16th 2020, 7:04 am
  #12  
Concierge
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 16,003
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Australian accents

Originally Posted by brits1 View Post
Hi hope your well and good? I was visitng Caldy the other day and was thinking of you when I drove along the front at New Brighton.....we are still in the peak District but not for long , we have move been planning to move for quite a while now (it's lovely here but we miss being near to the coast) but life just keeps.throwing things in the way lol anyway I have been zig zagging the country below Birmingham looking at area's ...a fantastic way of seeing the counties etc and I have had a lot of fun and now I have a short list now .thank the gods lol how is Perth? is the winter a mild one? It's my favourite time of the year there...mad to some I know lol. we're having a lovely summer so far which is a bonus. Take care and lovely to hear from you​​
I miss New Brighton, but all's good here thanks. We were lucky enough to find a property we loved on our second home viewing, it's close to my mum and all my sisters too

Winter started off fairly mild, then we had some really cold days and nights. Currently raining cats and dogs, which has pleased the farmers no end.

I can understand the pull of the coast, sounds like you're having a lovely time looking for your new location. I hope you find exactly what you're looking for and settle in quickly. Stay well and don't be a stranger! xx
spouse of scouse is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.