Australian accents

Old Aug 10th 2020, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Australian accents

Aussie accents....I have just watched an Australian reality TV show (I know I know but it did get me through a pile of ironing..plus loads of repeats on TV at the moment...well that's my excuse lol) anyway the contestants were from various Australian states and different backgrounds etc...but they accents to me sounded the same..I thought so when we lived in Australia but after all these years away I thought I might be able to detect "state accent's" but nope....is this right..or is my hearing also going with along with other things (I have also just stopped at the services in Newport Pagnell in my way to London) asked for a latte..and had to repeat it twice (my northern accent)..and yes the barista was English....... southern though.which is not her fault lol
Old Aug 10th 2020, 11:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Australian accents

Originally Posted by brits1
Aussie accents....I have just watched an Australian reality TV show (I know I know but it did get me through a pile of ironing..plus loads of repeats on TV at the moment...well that's my excuse lol) anyway the contestants were from various Australian states and different backgrounds etc...but they accents to me sounded the same..I thought so when we lived in Australia but after all these years away I thought I might be able to detect "state accent's" but nope....is this right..or is my hearing also going with along with other things (I have also just stopped at the services in Newport Pagnell in my way to London) asked for a latte..and had to repeat it twice (my northern accent)..and yes the barista was English....... southern though.which is not her fault lol
Definately accents in Oz.

I live in Sydney so to my ear Melbourne is really bogan and Brisbane is a bit slow.
Old Aug 11th 2020, 10:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Only one I recognise is South Australia. No clue on differences between all the others. Generally speaking obviously.
Old Aug 11th 2020, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Definately accents in Oz.

I live in Sydney so to my ear Melbourne is really bogan and Brisbane is a bit slow.
I just could not tell ..some of the "out backers" sounded a bit like crocodile dundee but our neighbours in aus were from Melbourne and they sounded the same as our other neighbours born and bred in WA. I have just driven to cambridgeshire from Buckinghamshire and the difference in accents (not far from each other) is very noticeable, you would think it would be the same in Australia especially given the distance between areas and at one time the isolation of certain States.
Old Aug 11th 2020, 9:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I just could not tell ..some of the "out backers" sounded a bit like crocodile dundee but our neighbours in aus were from Melbourne and they sounded the same as our other neighbours born and bred in WA. I have just driven to cambridgeshire from Buckinghamshire and the difference in accents (not far from each other) is very noticeable, you would think it would be the same in Australia especially given the distance between areas and at one time the isolation of certain States.
Maybe it's a time thing. Australia only being 200 odd years old hasn't had enough time to develop varied accents.

To the next extreme is European dialects. I recall being in Switzerland about 10 years ago in a small town. There were 2 farmers from the next valley over having a conversation and the locals of this small town couldn't understand them.
Old Aug 12th 2020, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

No difference between states in Australia with regards to accent. (unlike most anywhere else in Europe/UK/Asia/South America/USA. ) I would say New Zealand and possibly Canada (unsure of the latter) are similar. Where Australian accents seem to differ is probably class based , but even there know some in position that speak with a broad Aussie accent. I think a probable advantage is one can move around the country and not be 'picked up', usually coming from elsewhere intra state. Unlike UK and parts of Europe kids won't be 'picked on' at school for example for speaking different within the Australian context. (perhaps for other reasons though) Probably location can be a factor as well. One can put on or tone done the accent as well, according to the situation at hand.
Old Aug 13th 2020, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

According to my daughter, who is much more au fait about such things, and has a much better ear for regional accents than I do, "state of origin" can be reliably assessed by an Aussie's pronunciation of the word "pool".

Old Aug 13th 2020, 3:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by abner
According to my daughter, who is much more au fait about such things, and has a much better ear for regional accents than I do, "state of origin" can be reliably assessed by an Aussie's pronunciation of the word "pool".
Its "pewl".
Old Aug 13th 2020, 4:13 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Same here Brits, lived here all my life (apart from 3 years in the UK) and there's no discernible difference that can be attributed across the board to any particular State. Individual differences within States and within Australia as a whole, most definitely. It would be weird if everyone spoke with exactly the same accent/intonation/inflection.

Are you still living in the north west of England? Hope all's going well for you.
Old Aug 14th 2020, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Same here Brits, lived here all my life (apart from 3 years in the UK) and there's no discernible difference that can be attributed across the board to any particular State. Individual differences within States and within Australia as a whole, most definitely. It would be weird if everyone spoke with exactly the same accent/intonation/inflection.

Are you still living in the north west of England? Hope all's going well for you.
Hi hope your well and good? I was visitng Caldy the other day and was thinking of you when I drove along the front at New Brighton.....we are still in the peak District but not for long , we have move been planning to move for quite a while now (it's lovely here but we miss being near to the coast) but life just keeps.throwing things in the way lol anyway I have been zig zagging the country below Birmingham looking at area's ...a fantastic way of seeing the counties etc and I have had a lot of fun and now I have a short list now .thank the gods lol how is Perth? is the winter a mild one? It's my favourite time of the year there...mad to some I know lol. we're having a lovely summer so far which is a bonus. Take care and lovely to hear from you​​
Old Aug 16th 2020, 5:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

My sister has lived in Oz for almost 45 yrs now and never lost her Manchester accent completely ..It just has an upward lilt at the end of every sentence Envy you being in the North West right now. We should have been in the Lake District for the whole of this month ,and visiting our old home in Southport CV19 put paid to that idea.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 7:04 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi hope your well and good? I was visitng Caldy the other day and was thinking of you when I drove along the front at New Brighton.....we are still in the peak District but not for long , we have move been planning to move for quite a while now (it's lovely here but we miss being near to the coast) but life just keeps.throwing things in the way lol anyway I have been zig zagging the country below Birmingham looking at area's ...a fantastic way of seeing the counties etc and I have had a lot of fun and now I have a short list now .thank the gods lol how is Perth? is the winter a mild one? It's my favourite time of the year there...mad to some I know lol. we're having a lovely summer so far which is a bonus. Take care and lovely to hear from you​​
I miss New Brighton, but all's good here thanks. We were lucky enough to find a property we loved on our second home viewing, it's close to my mum and all my sisters too

Winter started off fairly mild, then we had some really cold days and nights. Currently raining cats and dogs, which has pleased the farmers no end.

I can understand the pull of the coast, sounds like you're having a lovely time looking for your new location. I hope you find exactly what you're looking for and settle in quickly. Stay well and don't be a stranger! xx
Old Sep 30th 2020, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

Zig Zag Wanderer has a reputation beyond reputeZig Zag Wanderer has a reputation beyond reputeZig Zag Wanderer has a reputation beyond reputeZig Zag Wanderer has a reputation beyond reputeZig Zag Wanderer has a reputation beyond reputeZig Zag Wanderer has a reputation beyond reputeZig Zag Wanderer has a reputation beyond reputeZig Zag Wanderer has a reputation beyond reputeZig Zag Wanderer has a reputation beyond reputeZig Zag Wanderer has a reputation beyond reputeZig Zag Wanderer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian accents

Originally Posted by abner
I was going to mention that. In Mackay especially, they say "poowell" and I find it hilarious.

Overall, in my experience, most are rather similar. I've heard a few with the broad Croc Dundee accent, though. On TV most accents are probably generic, like most American TV.

Strangely, even after 20 years, I haven't picked up the Aussie accent except for a few phrases I've learned here. My mate I went to school with has been here 30 years, and he's not picked up the accent either. I'm not sure why.
Old Sep 30th 2020, 3:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zig Zag Wanderer
I was going to mention that. In Mackay especially, they say "poowell" and I find it hilarious.

Overall, in my experience, most are rather similar. I've heard a few with the broad Croc Dundee accent, though. On TV most accents are probably generic, like most American TV.

Strangely, even after 20 years, I haven't picked up the Aussie accent except for a few phrases I've learned here. My mate I went to school with has been here 30 years, and he's not picked up the accent either. I'm not sure why.
My husband has, I have not. Both daughters would go to school sounding English, come home sounds Australian but by dinner time be English again. My husband has started putting 'but' at the end of sentences. Is that grounds for divorce?
Old Sep 30th 2020, 4:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Funniest accent to me is Hyper-RP. Listen to some old BritishTV or Cine-news and you will hear what I mean. In comparison Standard Strine sounds quite human

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.