Australian accents

Old Oct 1st 2020, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian accents

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
My husband has, I have not. Both daughters would go to school sounding English, come home sounds Australian but by dinner time be English again. My husband has started putting 'but' at the end of sentences. Is that grounds for divorce?
Our two sons were bright up in Australia (3 and 6.5 when they arrived) but they never really developed an Aussie accent.... when they started though to put 'like' at the start of their sentences (which seemed to be going around their school's) I put my foot down.... didn't mind it if they developed Aussie accents but to start talking like an American ....oh no. Lol.
Old Oct 1st 2020, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Funniest accent to me is Hyper-RP. Listen to some old BritishTV or Cine-news and you will hear what I mean. In comparison Standard Strine sounds quite human
Watching a couple of old American movies the other day...a lot of the actors sounded nowhere near as American as they do today.....same with the older Aussie soaps....
Old Oct 1st 2020, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Listening to accents on films, I remeber how difficult I found the dialogues in "Bonnie and Clyde" when I first saw it. people these days are exposed to a much wider variety of Spoken English, but growing up it as all RP. "Ordinary folk" were sometimes portrayed but until "Coronation Street" were figures of fun like George Formby or Harry Lauder. I am sure there are Oz parralels.
Old Oct 4th 2020, 2:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

it's fair to say that American-English has a large influence on English-speaking countries.

Australians on TV from the 70s and 80s sound a lot more RP - and there is a modern day equivalent still distant from suburban-Bogan.
It's the same in the UK - Estuary English is now rampant across London and the SE in all professions and walks of life.

I think it's important kids realise they need to communicate effectively if they are to be taken seriously.

I often point out to my sprogs what's important is that they can be understood in New York, San Francisco, London and Singapore.
The rest is just natural change,