Wikiposts

Australia vs Career

Old Sep 1st 2010, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia vs Career

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I don't think it's London that looks good on the CV, it's the international aspect. No different than the CV of an English or American person who had worked overseas.
Got it in one. Some of it is all sex and snobbery ultimately...Australians go to London mainly due to the common culture and heritage - (and people say they are opposed!)... Some end up in Frankfurt, Luxembourg, Zuruch..

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Many people have come to Australia and have advanced their careers further than they would have in the UK.

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Yes, it's entirely possible to do better over here than in the UK however careerwise, you will still be limited in how high you can go. A person that has reached a sticking point in their career in the UK can move to Australia and move up the ladder as their UK experience would still be much better than the experience locals can gain in Australia.

It doesn't surprise me that you have done better out here. You're a contractor with international experience (experience the locals don't have) and will be snapped up relatively quickly.
To be honest there must be people out there with a minority of their work experience now in London. I sometimes wonder how much value it really is. But see point 1: I see OS work as a sort of finishing school. And there are British born CEOs in Australia who are doing well. Perhaps it is demeaning to suggest they are underachievers - I expect they are on a bit of a swan - like the rest of us.

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Every time I buy The Age at the weekend I throw My Career in the bin. Drive usually goes in there as well
Me too...

Originally Posted by fish.01
I can only talk for myself and my friends who left Australia to work in the UK, on the continent, in Japan etc. Almost all of them did it because of the tradition of travel that has built up over the decades in Australia rather than for their career. I know some people do it for their career, as you asked, but I don't know anyone who stated they did it to advance in their profession out of the dozens of people I know who worked overseas. A lot choose London as it is a great city and a good English speaking base where many have relatives.
Have to agree.

Personally, I moved overseas (from London) to work..to have a good time, and because I could. I knew it would look good on my CV - a talking point. I was possibly more interested in the pool cars, daily expense rates, promise of alluring girls...the rest was detail.