Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australia under labour......

Australia under labour......

Old Nov 24th 2007, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

sdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Australia under labour......

Australia has the lowest unemployment since 1930, a booming economy and all the debts inherited from labour mismanagement wiped out - the Liberals did a great job managing the economy so why did they lose?

Like all elections it wasn't really fought on selling policies but rather exploiting fear, and the number 1 issue focussed on by labour was IR laws and specifically the Work Choices legislation.

As a small business owner I didn't change anything to the detriment of my employees under workchoices, I used the new system to create a better wage structure and more rewarding opportunities for my staff. Its extremely important to retain staff as they are the difference between companies, we look after our staff so don't need an antiquated award system to lock down rates etc. we pay above award. work Choices encouraged dialogue between employers and employees and many, many employees are benefitting under the new more flexible laws.

People need to remember that Govt's don't create jobs businesses do, Govt needs to create the correct environment to allow businesses to flourish. I don't think an adversarial Govt full of ex union officials is going to do anything but harm the current economic conditions with draconian laws from the bad old days of the 70's. Its not in a unions interest to have harmony between employers and employees as otherwise there is no need for their existence. They will therefore start to drive a wedge and create that us and them culture they need that ensures a 'healthy' union membership and plenty of fees to prop up their empires. This all spells bad news for our economy - I'm selling up.
Old Nov 24th 2007, 11:01 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia under labour......

Originally Posted by sdunx
Australia has the lowest unemployment since 1930, a booming economy and all the debts inherited from labour mismanagement wiped out - the Liberals did a great job managing the economy so why did they lose?

Like all elections it wasn't really fought on selling policies but rather exploiting fear, and the number 1 issue focussed on by labour was IR laws and specifically the Work Choices legislation.

As a small business owner I didn't change anything to the detriment of my employees under workchoices, I used the new system to create a better wage structure and more rewarding opportunities for my staff. Its extremely important to retain staff as they are the difference between companies, we look after our staff so don't need an antiquated award system to lock down rates etc. we pay above award. work Choices encouraged dialogue between employers and employees and many, many employees are benefitting under the new more flexible laws.

People need to remember that Govt's don't create jobs businesses do, Govt needs to create the correct environment to allow businesses to flourish. I don't think an adversarial Govt full of ex union officials is going to do anything but harm the current economic conditions with draconian laws from the bad old days of the 70's. Its not in a unions interest to have harmony between employers and employees as otherwise there is no need for their existence. They will therefore start to drive a wedge and create that us and them culture they need that ensures a 'healthy' union membership and plenty of fees to prop up their empires. This all spells bad news for our economy - I'm selling up.
The problem with political parties, is that most have forgotten the reason they were created in the first place to give the people a voice in the running of the country. Instead of the politicians working for the people who voted for them, they work for the party machine which dictates their actions in Parliamentary voting sessions. The voice of the people is rarely heard in this procedure, as they have to "toe the party line" or be face beng disendorsed at the next election. A good example was Mark Latham, a maverick, who as Leader, wouldn't play ball with the Party and was toppled for Rudd.
Another good example of senior party interference, is in the Qld state seat of Brisbane Central where Grace Grace (real name, not a typo) was endorsed by the Premier rather than being endorsed by the local ALP branch members, much to their disgust.
Old Nov 24th 2007, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

we look after our staff so don't need an antiquated award system to lock down rates etc. we pay above award.
You now have a chance to reduce all their wages to award level
Old Nov 24th 2007, 11:40 pm
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

Yes, it IS business that creates a country's wealth - and all a Government does is "manage" that wealth. I don't deny that, for the most part, Howard, Costello et al have done a reasonable job of managing the nation's finances, but if we look to the source of that wealth it's come from the boom states, ALL of which have Labor premiers. I have never understood the mentality that has credited the Federal Government with "sound economic management", when it's obvious that, left to their own devices and policies, they wouldn't have had the 'get up and go' to initiate any of the strategies which have won these huge overseas contracts on which the nation's - and the States' - wealth is based.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 12:10 am
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

selling up? lol...

You're naive if you think you can move to a democracy and never see politics change in your life time..

MOst unions I've been part of want harmony between businesses and employees... those same unions also want as many jobs for their members... they just don't want employees to becomes mere cannon fodder and exploited.

You might be a good employer... but I've seen many who are not and would take any chance they can get to fully exploit their staff and treat them as less than human. I know of cases where people have been brought to Oz and paid appallingly low wages and it is the Unions that stand up for them and fight for their rights... I've not seen a major business group yet throw a lot of money in to help this group of exploited workers in Oz.

It's balance that is required and the rogue elements on both sides need to be kept in check.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 12:24 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the employees will complain if you keep paying about the award

Originally Posted by NedKelly
You now have a chance to reduce all their wages to award level
Old Nov 25th 2007, 4:02 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like you've been taking lessons in commitment in the face of adversity from Mr Costello.

Ah well at least it'll give you more time to relax on your Chez Lounge (sic).

You may find your income stream dries up though and you might have to find other ways of earning mega bucks between posts, maybe some sort of working from home could fill the void?

Cheers,
Matt
Old Nov 25th 2007, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

sdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by copa
It's balance that is required and the rogue elements on both sides need to be kept in check.
For once I actually agree with what you've said! there's loads of greedy employers who would exploit workers given half a chance, there needs to be protection put in place to safeguard against immoral exploitation. I was a shop steward in my Devonport Dockyard days so know all about both sides of the fence.

By selling up I mean my business, time to move on and do something else.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Looks like you've been taking lessons in commitment in the face of adversity from Mr Costello.

You may find your income stream dries up though and you might have to find other ways of earning mega bucks between posts, maybe some sort of working from home could fill the void?

Cheers,
Matt
Going to import some Aussie made goods to UK, started earlier this year and so far has been great - so much so that am going back to UK to manage it for a year or two. Perhaps might take French lessons whilst there
Old Nov 25th 2007, 5:05 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego

Cheers,
Matt
Or maybe he could come give you a hand in the commune ?
Old Nov 25th 2007, 5:13 am
Banned

Dom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud of

It's a sad day for Australia.

I only hope the damage Rudd's staff inflict will be limited, and their time in office short.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Just read the comments here:-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...#StartComments
Old Nov 25th 2007, 5:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly

Thats interesting, quite a adverse reaction makes a change for the DM, its usually anything overseas is beyond freaking wonderful
Old Nov 25th 2007, 6:35 am

Going to import some Aussie made goods to UK, started earlier this year and so far has been great - so much so that am going back to UK to manage it for a year or two. Perhaps might take French lessons whilst there
Excellent form, you could always cut some costs and grab a container full of that Chinese crap full of lead and drugs.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by Centurion
Or maybe he could come give you a hand in the commune ?
Aye, he'd have to lose the attitude, the suit and develop a decent dope habit though

Maybe the Chez Lounge (sic) could be the ideal place to chill out, we'll have that.

If he don't like The Floyd and The Beta Band then he's buggered though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.