Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australia - summed up

Australia - summed up

Old Jan 1st 2013, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia - summed up

Originally Posted by mikeandrach
this thread made me laugh. what made me laugh even more is the fact you dont seem to have just considered fitting the spare?
the spare isn't a full size tyre and isn't suitable for belting up and down the pacific highway at 100km/hr, therefore is of no help

but thanks for your contribution
Old Jan 1st 2013, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
Because you attack the entire country over your individual and insignificant problem?

It is all about action and reaction.
do you think i'd have the same problem in the UK?

I didn't really attack australia, I merely used the incident as a example of what I perceive to be one of the negatives about Australia. It is what it is, no need to attack it.
Old Jan 1st 2013, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

mikeandrach is an unknown quantity at this point

depends where you live in the uk. im from the south originally where you can get anything. i live in yorks now where at midnight last night it became 1974.

go to hull and you can get anything but it will be nicked, go to york and you can get anything and it will be expensive, go to malton or bridlington and as i pull up in my peugeot 407 they think i am in a car from the future and gawp in amazement. so it depends on your locality i guess rather than the country.
Old Jan 1st 2013, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mikeandrach
depends where you live in the uk. im from the south originally where you can get anything. i live in yorks now where at midnight last night it became 1974.

go to hull and you can get anything but it will be nicked, go to york and you can get anything and it will be expensive, go to malton or bridlington and as i pull up in my peugeot 407 they think i am in a car from the future and gawp in amazement. so it depends on your locality i guess rather than the country.
I agree, but brisbane is the capital of QLD and the 3rd largest Australian city.
Old Jan 1st 2013, 3:09 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

In the last week...

Went to buy $500-ish of curtains. Shop didn't have stock in and I was told it needed permission from head office to have the curtains transferred from other stores. Also, suggested it would cost as much as the curtains to have them transported. Um, no I said... it doesn't cost hundreds of dollars to transport a set of curtains. They're supposedly getting back to me.

Went to buy $900-ish oven. Oven not in stock. Dept manager can't give me specifications and says can't ring manufacturer to find out until after new year. He will ring us back. I have already managed to ring the manufacturer now but salesman selling oven is too busy to come to the phone so we can arrange for him to order it in.

Ordered thai take-away for New Year. Ordered ahead and was told it would be ready at 7.45. Arrived at 7.45 and had to wait for 45 minutes for order to be ready.

Took kids out for take-away lunch. Part of order missing. Twice.

FFS. Why is it so hard for some people to get things right?
Old Jan 1st 2013, 11:58 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingobob777
Australia summed up in one incident - 31st December and my front left tyre develops a bubble on the sidewall of the tyre.
For some time now we have measured economic purchasing power parity via the "big mac index", using the price of a common goods to test of the extent to which market exchange rates result in goods costing the same in different countries.

Personally I have long advocated the "Slapphead Hooker Index" or SHI as a better indicator of economic parity in a true free market situation. For some reason the UN and IMF seem strangely reluctant to adopt the measure, although they do a lot of informal research in the area.

But this new measure from BingoBob opens up an whole new world of research.

How quickly could you get a tyre repaired in the lower reaches of the swamplands of Umboto Gorge?

Does the tyre actually have to fit?
Can it have hand carved tread?
Can it have been nicked off another car?
What it its actually another wheel off your own car? Does that count?

Does speed of repair actually indicate lower standard of living?

I could for instance order a set of four crossplys, a Big Mac and a Hooker in Semarang and they would be delivered within 20 minutes to my door, by some underfed and somewhat desperate group of tyre fitters, pimps and Maccas counter staff. And that could be after midnight on a Sunday......

I suspect there is my long dreamed of PhD in here somewhere. "The relationship between speed of tyre fitting on Christmas Eve and standards of living as measured in 20 first world countries and Scotland"

Im onto it guys
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
Im onto it guys
... and then you will fix the tyre and get a maccas meal
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 12:09 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Hehe, you think Australia is a backwater and frustrating.....have fun in the Middle East.
+1001.

Serious note here Bob. Unless you know the ME don't go there if you find QLD frustrating.

Seriously. You have to live there to know frustration.

Im not joking Bob. Look past the tax free pay. They have to offer that to get people to work there.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

+1001.

Serious note here Bob. Unless you know the ME don't go there if you find QLD frustrating.

Seriously. You have to live there to know frustration.

Im not joking Bob. Look past the tax free pay. They have to offer that to get people to work there.
Going in with my eyes open, there's a Middle East board I can have a rant on if I need to
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 3:27 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Going in with my eyes open, there's a Middle East board I can have a rant on if I need to

Just don't upset the pro-middle east evangelists like you have managed to do here

S
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 5:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Just don't upset the pro-middle east evangelists like you have managed to do here

S
Yep, be careful over there, they're all a bit crazy - get yourself a id on expatwoman (pretend to be a girl), much more helpful in terms of information, but they're crazy in a more "caught my maid in my bath, in my bathers, drinking my Moet with my son" kind of way.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 5:06 am
Not allowed opinions.

My guess is your rants about the ME will involve a bit more than the inability to get a tyre fitted on NYE.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 5:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

My guess is your rants about the ME will involve a bit more than the inability to get a tyre fitted on NYE.
There probably wouldn't be a problem getting it fitted on NYE, and it wouldn't cost too much. You'd have seventy five unqualified people working on it and it would have off again by New Years Day.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 5:23 am
Not allowed opinions.

Originally Posted by Kim67
There probably wouldn't be a problem getting it fitted on NYE, and it wouldn't cost too much. You'd have seventy five unqualified people working on it and it would have off again by New Years Day.
The tyre wont be an issue.

Laws and the police might.

Attitude of the locals will be.

DingoBob, take note. It isn't the UK, and it isn't Australia. Things happen there that you don't expect to have happen anywhere. The ME thread on BE is full of whinging expats who are happy to take the money but don't seem to understand the trade off for things like lifestyle and OH&S.

Never forget that trade off....
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

takeaway the sun and beaches and it's just a crappy little backwater, 20 years behind the rest of the world

aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh hh.

In Scotland I'd phone Kwik Fit and they'd be at my door in an hour!!
Even on hogmanay?? Not in the Scotland I remember. No work after lunchtime, even before in some places and pretty much incapacitated by knocking off time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.