Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australia. Real Future or Banana State in Making?

Australia. Real Future or Banana State in Making?

Old Nov 16th 2018, 5:45 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia. Real Future or Banana State in Making?

Originally Posted by the troubadour
That is exactly what I said. Just shows the need to consult Wikipedia, suggests a completely unknown phrase to you. Probably why you misunderstood. The subject matter being the your un critiqued belief in Anglo Saxon democracy . Hope you have a few tips to help you along the way now.
Your definition of gerrymandering is incorrect
Old Nov 16th 2018, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Your child like repetitive play although tedious, will be played out in full. Your claim that my definition on something you had never heard of prior to today, is incorrect.

Oh, I while I'm at it, are you suggesting that the term, 'attack is the best line of defence' was invented by Rommel? A day of repeated errors if that being the case.

Last edited by the troubadour; Nov 16th 2018 at 5:56 am.
Old Nov 16th 2018, 6:03 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Your child like repetitive play although tedious, will be played out in full. Your claim that my definition on something you had never heard of prior to today, is incorrect.

Oh, I while I'm at it, are you suggesting that the term, 'attack is the best line of defence' was invented by Rommel? A day of repeated errors if that being the case.

Stop digging - others have pointed this out to you too

I know that quote did not come from Herr Rommel (although it is often attributed to him) - it's just that I have a soft spot for the old Desert Fox - and it kind of sums up how you're going in this thread
Old Nov 16th 2018, 6:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu

Stop digging - others have pointed this out to you too

I know that quote did not come from Herr Rommel (although it is often attributed to him) - it's just that I have a soft spot for the old Desert Fox - and it kind of sums up how you're going in this thread
Others have pointed out nothing, so cease attempting to squirm your way out of something you have poor understanding. You would have quickly pasted something, if at all you thought you had a point to score.Glad I brought you up to speed on Rommel anyway. Wikipedia confirmed what I was saying no doubt.
Do feel free of course in expressing just how the democratic process works in the favour of the population, I will of course respond accordingly.
Old Nov 21st 2018, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

You don't state why you consider Australia to still be 'The Lucky Country'. I would love to read a reason why this should. be considered the case.
He didn't - he also, like you, interpreted Horne rather more correctly than has been over the years.

Some possibles would be climate, resources, modern,clean, well appointed and vibrant cities.
I still think that the best of what AU has to offer is still very special. If you are outside that sphere, you are no better off than anywhere else.
Depends on how bad anywhere else is. AU is still probably preferable to many world cities and capitals.It ain't Afghanistan or Slough.
Old Nov 21st 2018, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing like a bit of brain exercise in the morning over a cup of tea to distract myself from the high winds currently.... Have to say though, I have no idea what I have just read. I can't even see where the OP was going or its meaning. Perhaps it could be put in simpler terms? My brain hurts!
Old Nov 21st 2018, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Clacfart
Nothing like a bit of brain exercise in the morning over a cup of tea to distract myself from the high winds currently.... Have to say though, I have no idea what I have just read. I can't even see where the OP was going or its meaning. Perhaps it could be put in simpler terms? My brain hurts!
Well keep it simple shall we? Do you or do you not like a banana with your morning cuppa. Hardly taxing stuff when put in such simplistic terms. The original question though, with regards the future, hardly Einstein stuff either, to be fair, considering the changes this country has undertaken this century.

I do hope your brain recovers from 'the hurt'. Just remember feet are for walking on, head is for........oh no matter. Enjoy the morning intake of potassium.
Old Nov 21st 2018, 10:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
He didn't - he also, like you, interpreted Horne rather more correctly than has been over the years.

Some possibles would be climate, resources, modern,clean, well appointed and vibrant cities.
I still think that the best of what AU has to offer is still very special. If you are outside that sphere, you are no better off than anywhere else.
Depends on how bad anywhere else is. AU is still probably preferable to many world cities and capitals.It ain't Afghanistan or Slough.
Horne was a great thinker on the Australian Condition. No mean feat for the mid sixties when thinking wasn't necessary much of a national pastime. A man beyond his time.

Climate would certainly be a strong point. But then again like so many other possible positives, it is not universally so through this nation. Climate is also the reason vast swags of this nation remains empty, and basically inhospitable to habitation.

Resources. Certainly plentiful. Has brought a lot of richness to Australia, nowhere near what could have been of course, if resource companies had been made to pay proper dues to the nation and people, instead to share holders in foreign lands .
Having so much in the way of resources, could perhaps have made us somewhat 'lazy'. Reliance on such a one track pony has resulted in most eggs in one basket, with an over dependence on one country.
Come a down turn in resource prices, as happens with boom and busts, is highly disruptive to the economy, to say the least.

Modern and clean. Australia's cities are certainly modern, yes clean as well. A little too over regulated in what can and can't do, a little sterile, but the kicker is are madly over expensive in real estate and general living costs.

Vibrant cities. More so parts of our main two cities. But the sprawling natures and small centres, usually means vibrancy in pockets rather than wide spread, I would argue, being very limited in smaller cities such as Adelaide and Perth.
It wouldn't be the first thing that comes to mind, if comparing to Asian and European cities, certainly.

Thing is of course, most anywhere would measure up better than Slough, although that city has diversity and gets a mean rap, and yes I do know the city, having worked there for a few weeks once, but lets look further afield to cities that have a buzz. Amsterdam, Hamburg, Berlin, Lisbon, and so on. Not just working cities of to many stressed folk, that IMO, Australia has increasingly become, with all too few outlets, where suburban life, doesn't necessary lubricate the ease of social interaction after hours.

Obviously not saying this will feature as a prominent negative to everybody, but rather different from more 'outgoing' countries/cities, which should not be overlooked The social isolation felt by many people from those more out going countries being rather significant.
Old Nov 21st 2018, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute

Well keep it simple shall we? Do you or do you not like a banana with your morning cuppa. Hardly taxing stuff when put in such simplistic terms. The original question though, with regards the future, hardly Einstein stuff either, to be fair, considering the changes this country has undertaken this century.

I do hope your brain recovers from 'the hurt'. Just remember feet are for walking on, head is for........oh no matter. Enjoy the morning intake of potassium.
Wow, rather insulting aren't you. Nevermind.
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 2:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

He sure knows how to encourage people into discussion, doesn't he!
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 2:31 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 2:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well buy your own admittance, the original posed question went above your head. Just thought I'd simplify it somewhat . Never been accused of being insulting buy enquiring about a banana preference ever before. Never mind. First time for all as they say. You never did answer the question though.....

Last edited by the troubadour; Nov 22nd 2018 at 2:57 am.
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 2:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
He sure does. Moves the party along nicely. The poster in question did appear somewhat confused though , as evident in answer. I did check. Yes I did write in English, (a stab at it at least) sometimes I may drift and resort to another language, but this was certainly not the case. I certainly did try to simplify the question to make it 'more inclusive' to encourage further discussion, but just added to poster confusion.
Anyway, don't give up on the one liners , an area you deserve to wear the crown.
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

I'm not embarrassed to sound clueless when it comes to politics. It's not something I tend to get involved in. It does go way over my head but that doesn't determine I have a lack of intelligence. I prefer to use and expand my knowledge where it is needed rather than get bogged down by something one individual cannot change.

I was confused by the OP as it seemed it was a dig at expats. Please forgive me if my assumption is wrong though.

Last edited by Clacfart; Nov 22nd 2018 at 3:43 am.
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 3:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm not embarrassed to sound clueless when it comes to politics. It's not something I tend to get involved in. It does go way over my head but that doesn't determine I have a lack of intelligence. I prefer to use expand my knowledge where it is needed rather than get bogged down by something one individual cannot change.

I was confused by the OP as it seemed it was a dig at expats. Please forgive me of my assumption is wrong though.
Thing being of course this was clearly a political thread. No one needs be an expert ,which is blindly obvious from many of the replies. Nothing to forgive. It's a forum. If confused, do by all means call me out to explain the meaning of a piece that sounded to be a dig......Perhaps it was. I'm not entirely sure of the wording you mean. You'll find me as always, very congenial and tolerant, ready to explain myself so don't be shy.
To go through life though admitting to be clueless about politics, is very sad. We can certainly change things. More importantly though, we cannot be easily manipulated, coerced, become a victim, be conned, lose rights, become numb, apathetic. All the things politicians would want the population to become. You have a voice. You have a will and a mind. Use it. Politics is basically life. From how we live, work, entitlements, health, education, living standards. Ignore at your peril. Intelligence and ignorance are I agree are two different things.

But if you are Intelligent, then it is close to be a crime to be Ignorant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.