Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australia. Real Future or Banana State in Making?

Australia. Real Future or Banana State in Making?

Old Nov 14th 2018, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia. Real Future or Banana State in Making?

Originally Posted by Beoz
The really sad part in the latest installment was that the PM was actually doing a decent job. The economy was flying, the opinion polls had taken a turn for the good, everything was rosey. A few in his party decided that the direction he was taking was not in line where the party was 20 years ago. The end result was a virtual no change, except in the opinion polls. It was a backward step of great proportion for no result.
Well far from fine. The horses were getting jumpy with constant bad polling. Retirement pensions were becoming something polly's began to sweat over. The Right Wing, being given far too much ear space to allowing far too much influence over extremely bad party policy. From savaging welfare to idiotic tax cuts for big business (whom were already milking it for everything it was worth) A total disregard for the public at large. Turnbull,s only win, being Gay marriage , hardly a resounding legacy .
At least the outcome displayed the glaring treachery abounding in that fractured and purely self absorbed party of tricksters.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 11:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jenn32
They seem to have revolving door governments in Oz. The latest joke is "Only two more PMs until Christmas!"
Purely a practise run at banana status. But then the crop is fearing rather well over in Merica it would appear. Could this provoke a trade war and Eagle versus Kangaroo feather/fur flurry?

Last edited by the troubadour; Nov 14th 2018 at 11:22 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It's not desirable, but that's democracy - the Westminster system

In your country, if a president is incompetent (as opposed to corrupt or criminal), there is virtually no mechanism to remove him from office and the country suffers needlessly
Well no hardly democracy in the true form, if that at all means one vote one say. The present system of gerrymandering, is opposite pole to democracy as is a system where a government can take position, without having a clear majority of votes cast for it.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 11:39 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Well no hardly democracy in the true form, if that at all means one vote one say. The present system of gerrymandering, is opposite pole to democracy as is a system where a government can take position, without having a clear majority of votes cast for it.
Democracy takes many forms - one man, one vote is the basis but the outcome may be different - Westminster first past the post, US electoral college system, proportional representation etc. All are valid forms of democracy

Political science 101

Hope this helps
Old Nov 14th 2018, 11:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Democracy takes many forms - one man, one vote is the basis but the outcome may be different - Westminster first past the post, US electoral college system, proportional representation etc. All are valid forms of democracy

Political science 101

Hope this helps
Not democracy in the form intended. If one validates the equality of one vote to equal say. I don't require a spin on what I knows passes or is claimed as a democratic process, as I am well aware of that. Simply what is practised, in a system that can be 'altered', to take advantage of perceived or assured gain, cannot in all truth be democracy in its true form.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 11:48 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Not democracy in the form intended. If one validates the equality of one vote to equal say. I don't require a spin on what I knows passes or is claimed as a democratic process, as I am well aware of that. Simply what is practised, in a system that can be 'altered', to take advantage of perceived or assured gain, cannot in all truth be democracy in its true form.
Okay, I've got it. The UK, Australia, the US etc are not democracies

Sorry for the confusion
Old Nov 15th 2018, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Right wing saw an opportunity that wasn't. Thank goodness, they attempted to install leadership, through a take over, as it has diminished the prospects, of the hard core right, from accreting power, which in return would have taken this country to and ever greater 'darker' stage in freedom and transparency. Even more rule by fear and undemocratic practises, wrapped in something not immediately apparent to the vox populi.
You just repeated what I wrote. Thanks
Old Nov 15th 2018, 1:01 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Horne's often misplaced quote 'Lucky Country' was tongue in cheek, the luck being despite poor governance and decision making. The world through Australian eyes in 1963 was something along the lines of populate or perish. The war was not long over, and 'Yellow Peril' scares were somewhat consensus.
Fifty years later the situation is quite different. Asian immigration is welcomed and integration into the region is underway. All good. But the sustainability of Australia's present direction, is highly debateable.
Genuinely productive countries/cities and societies invest in industries that produce long term future dividends rather than short term speculative profits.
You don't state why you consider Australia to still be 'The Lucky Country'. I would love to read a reason why this should. be considered the case.
Like I said, his premise was Australia was lucky because it could rely on mass immigration and natural resources for its economic success rather than, say, innovation or wise governance. I think that continues to largely be the case although not sustainable going forward for much longer.

You seem just to be repeating what others have already posted?
Old Nov 15th 2018, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Like I said, his premise was Australia was lucky because it could rely on mass immigration and natural resources for its economic success rather than, say, innovation or wise governance. I think that continues to largely be the case although not sustainable going forward for much longer.

You seem just to be repeating what others have already posted?
Why do you believe that is not sustainable? It would be beneficial if Australia could rely on other industries for growth, but I do not see the worlds appetite for natural resources and immigration reducing. In regard to natural resources, the type of resource may change, and Australia does have a vast variety it can tap into.
Old Nov 15th 2018, 1:24 am
Proudly Deplorable

The resource super cycle (aka the Asian century, rising China, shift from West to East etc) is still in play. We are away's down it (how far? Who knows). It is an upwards trend but with peaks and troughs in that trend

We are front and centre, part of this - a wealthy, advanced western democracy in Asia, blessed with what they need
Old Nov 15th 2018, 5:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Here we go. The poster gets his wish on worst case scenario.

Just so he can say "I told you so", "I can now buy a house".

Well he won't be able to buy a house, he won't have a job.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/australian-economy/deep-recession-house-prices-could-fall-more-than-30-per-cent-in-ubs-doomsday-scenario/news-story/b8c2cf775749852c794428805b76c538
Old Nov 15th 2018, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Okay, I've got it. The UK, Australia, the US etc are not democracies

Sorry for the confusion
Your on the right path, even being sarcastic. No my fault if you don't understand democracy. Or at least how it can be abused and influence by unelected bodies that do under mine the entire process. Although you were not raised in a country, following the democratic process, so allowances made.

Now a great example, to show how the democratic process can be so easily manipulated, indeed corrupted, outside of gerrymandering, which previously discussed, is the subversion of democracy by the very rich or influential. The billionaire mining tycoons targeting the well appointed new resource tax in 2010 I think it was, pointed clearly to sinister goings on behind the scenes. The dirty tricks of mining companies prepared to play dirty, resulted in an elected government being deposed several weeks later.
That was of course, subverting a function democracy.
Old Nov 15th 2018, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The resource super cycle (aka the Asian century, rising China, shift from West to East etc) is still in play. We are away's down it (how far? Who knows). It is an upwards trend but with peaks and troughs in that trend

We are front and centre, part of this - a wealthy, advanced western democracy in Asia, blessed with what they need
We are but a quarry for foreign companies to exploit and produce little of real value. We are in that sense, a developing world country , exploited cheaply, to produce a finished good shipped back at price. Bit like Nauru I suppose, once the richest country, now its phosphate has been exploited leaving holes in the ground, but little of long term value.
Afraid selling coffees to one another , flipping over inflated, depreciating houses, selling rather ordinary education to overseas students, with the carrot they can stay on afterwards, added to declining living standards well documented, is probably not going to cut the mustard, even with the most positive focused people, as myself.
Old Nov 15th 2018, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Why do you believe that is not sustainable? It would be beneficial if Australia could rely on other industries for growth, but I do not see the worlds appetite for natural resources and immigration reducing. In regard to natural resources, the type of resource may change, and Australia does have a vast variety it can tap into.
But it doesn't do anything other than ship out raw resources which are largely dependant on overseas pricing. Australia produces little finished product of high value. The mining companies with their 2010, scare campaign, cost Australia dearly.

WA, is a prime example. Not long out of the biggest mining boom in its history, or at least living memory, and in serious debt. Even with the mining company ripping off the Country and state, in particular, we have come out in bad shape. The hangover remains.
Old Nov 15th 2018, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You just repeated what I wrote. Thanks
Best not to attempt a free picky back on my expense. You did not write that Turnbull did a very average job at the helm. More the case you found agreement with my take. To which my reply would be, why wouldn't you ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.