Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australia over Xmas/NY?

Australia over Xmas/NY?

Old Oct 7th 2022, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Australia over Xmas/NY?

Popped over from the NZ forum to ask a semi-serious question.
Background is that our experience when visiting NZ is that the two weeks of Xmas/NY is basically "put the fridge in the pickup, head for a campsite and start drinking".
This year we plan to avoid that, and start our visit in January.

We haven't been in Australia over the holiday period, although we have visited a few times.
The dream (for many) used to be Xmas on Bondi Beach with a barbie so I am assuming that this would be similar to the NZ experience.
However we love the Blue Mountains and also Tasmania, and Sydney when it isn't too packed.
We would like to explore Canberra.
Are these more relaxed over the holiday break, or are we likely to find everyone out parting like in NZ?

Yes, we are finally able to travel again after most restrictions have been lifted.
We usually hire a car stay in self catering.

Any information and personal experiences (wonderful or horrific) very welcome.
Old Oct 9th 2022, 12:30 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia over Xmas/NY?

To avoid your expected experience I would "Head for a campsite, buy a fridge (2nd more important than anything else), buy a pickup (optional), buy some booze (top priority), load up accordingly and start drinking".

My LonelyPlanet guide will be published soon, available at all good outlets and the shyte ones.
Old Oct 9th 2022, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
To avoid your expected experience I would "Head for a campsite, buy a fridge (2nd more important than anything else), buy a pickup (optional), buy some booze (top priority), load up accordingly and start drinking".

My LonelyPlanet guide will be published soon, available at all good outlets and the shyte ones.
Thanks.
Unfortunately we no longer have the stamina to drink to oblivion, as demonstrated the last time we camped over the holidays.
Is Australia any different?
Old Oct 11th 2022, 5:40 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
The dream (for many) used to be Xmas on Bondi Beach with a barbie.
Bondi, pretty much always these days, seems expensive, crowded, touristy, and not relaxed. Worth avoiding, unless you have some family reason to be there.

However we love the Blue Mountains and also Tasmania, and Sydney when it isn't too packed. We would like to explore Canberra.

Are these more relaxed over the holiday break, or are we likely to find everyone out parting like in NZ?
Three very different places, but I'd go for Tassie if you're keying on the word "relaxed", and maybe do Canberra for a few days at the start or end of the journey.

But I'm a little surprised you haven't mentioned QLD at all. If that seems too hot and humid for a Kiwi during the holiday break, I'd understand the reluctance, but if you're up for the challenge there's a whole lot of reasonably-priced "relaxed" along the coastline north of Brisbane.
Old Oct 11th 2022, 6:08 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by abner
Bondi, pretty much always these days, seems expensive, crowded, touristy, and not relaxed. Worth avoiding, unless you have some family reason to be there.

Three very different places, but I'd go for Tassie if you're keying on the word "relaxed", and maybe do Canberra for a few days at the start or end of the journey.

But I'm a little surprised you haven't mentioned QLD at all. If that seems too hot and humid for a Kiwi during the holiday break, I'd understand the reluctance, but if you're up for the challenge there's a whole lot of reasonably-priced "relaxed" along the coastline north of Brisbane.
He is not a kiwi. He will be long haul from the uk.
He's hoping, I think , to be not amidst the noisy holiday festive knees up lot.
Old Oct 11th 2022, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Popped over from the NZ forum to ask a semi-serious question.
Background is that our experience when visiting NZ is that the two weeks of Xmas/NY is basically "put the fridge in the pickup, head for a campsite and start drinking".
This year we plan to avoid that, and start our visit in January.

We haven't been in Australia over the holiday period, although we have visited a few times.
The dream (for many) used to be Xmas on Bondi Beach with a barbie so I am assuming that this would be similar to the NZ experience.
However we love the Blue Mountains and also Tasmania, and Sydney when it isn't too packed.
We would like to explore Canberra.

Yes, we are finally able to travel again after most restrictions have been lifted.
We usually hire a car stay in self catering.

Any information and personal experiences (wonderful or horrific) very welcome.
Tassie is great at Xmas time. Be warned though, at times you still may need a heavy coat.

I would typically avoid Queensland and inland over this period. Queensland is hot and muggy and full of bogan tourists at this time. Inland is just hot at this time.

The central areas of Sydney are empty of locals at this time as most offices shut. Plenty of tourists but still plenty to see and do. As you are hiring a car drive up or down the coast for a beach break always good. Be warned, accom can be hard to find up or down the coast at this time
Old Oct 13th 2022, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
Unfortunately we no longer have the stamina to drink to oblivion, as demonstrated the last time we camped over the holidays.
Is Australia any different?
After quite a few Christmases and New Years in Australia we use to head over to various parts of Malaysia as there was plenty to see and do and also had more of a Christmas feel than Australia that lead us to always being away for Christmas and New Year.
Old Oct 13th 2022, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks to all for the help.

We just received an email saying that Parent Category immigration is going to open up again on 14th November 2022 so we are going full steam for NZ and the inevitable house hunting (or at least area hunting).

[A note on Queensland - been there, done that, took a long time to cool off again.]
Old Oct 16th 2022, 5:38 am
Excessively Diverted

Luthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond repute

I love xmas/new year break. We are normally at home relaxing, lots of fun when the kids were little. Now they are adults and it is a different kind of fun . Pre-xmas there are normally a couple of work and neighbour functions. Xmas day is always spent with family. Relaxing is a top priority after a busy year at work. We don't like travelling over holiday periods, the roads are always so busy. New Years is always spent with our core group of friends. We take turn about to host each year. If the weather is good a bbq outside is often on the cards. Touristy stuff is not for the holiday period for us - it's all about spending time with family and friends. We are not big drinkers but a couple of glasses of wine at each occassion is about right. Whatever you choose to do I hope it is a happy time for you
Old Oct 19th 2022, 12:34 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

I would say you're unlikely to find yourself amidst drunken party madness, unless that's what you're looking for.

At Xmas/January time of the year the reality for most of us as we get older and have families is relaxing time at home or the campsite or whatever getaway accommodation. Sure, for many of us that relaxing will maybe involve more drinking than normal, but I've never seen a family coastal town/resort kick off into drunken brawls (I guess it happens occasionally, but it wouldn't be the norm).

A lot of Canberrans head to the south coast around Bateman's Bay and below from Christmas into January, so the city may be even quieter than usual, especially in the suburbs. I guess Civic and Braddon would still have some activity.

Sydney and the Blue Mountains would be good to visit, but beware accommodation may be difficult to get, and it is around the most expensive time of the year. Bondi? Well, you do it a couple of times because you have to, but getting there and parking is horrible and there are plenty of nearby beaches that are not so bad with a similar experience - I find Coogee and Dee Why okay, and there are lots of others that people will point out as great and tell you why the two I mentioned are terrible - you have to expect that when you start talking about beaches.

Huge generalisation and only going by my experience, but Aussies don't drink as much as Kiwis - where cases of beer are a second currency.

Note also this year is expected to be somewhat wet, but it's also a hot time of the year - so high humidity and lots of mozzies would be expected. You will absolutely need the repellent.

Good luck.

Last edited by Big Galah; Oct 19th 2022 at 12:43 am. Reason: Beaches.