Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australia - My honest opinions

Australia - My honest opinions

Old Jan 11th 2010, 11:40 pm
Banned

Very Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant future
Default Re: Australia - My honest opinions

I wonder what you call here? Australia really isn't one country, it's a loose conglomeration just like the U.S and very different area to area let alone state to state. Some areas cheap, some expensive. You need to do some travelling it appears.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

sooperlids is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by copa
"pakis" isn't an insult here. It would have been like someone saying "f**king kiwis" or "f**king brits" ... it's the "f**king" that makes it rude... not the "pakis"..

If you really really don't like it here... go home.

Sure sounds like an insult to me. Very much the type of thing that was prevalent here in the 80's when I was growing up.

How were they to know where they were from? perhaps they could have been Indian? Sri Lankan? I would bet they didn't have a clue.

Must say I cringed when I was last in Australia & the Cricket commentators were referring to the Pakistanis as Pakis. At least with them your argument would carry a little weight.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 11:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sooperlids
Sure sounds like an insult to me. Very much the type of thing that was prevalent here in the 80's when I was growing up.

How were they to know where they were from? perhaps they could have been Indian? Sri Lankan? I would bet they didn't have a clue.

Must say I cringed when I was last in Australia & the Cricket commentators were referring to the Pakistanis as Pakis. At least with them your argument would carry a little weight.
Is that because you're not an Australian?
Old Jan 11th 2010, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

Ultimately the country does not exist to please YOU.

Immigrants, from anywhere and everywhere have to learn this simple lesson.

YOU ARE NOT KING SHIT.

This country does not exist to serve your needs and wants, atleast not exclusively. Things are the way they are because the majority of people want it to be that way.

If you do not conform then you must leave. Simple as.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 11:53 pm
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

fmd ... the "f**king" makes it an insult. That is clear.

No need to cringe when watching the cricket. The language is used differently here. It's that simple. It's like when they call NZers Kiwis during the cricket.. or Jonathan becomes Jonno, David becomes Dave etc..no big deal at all.

I suspect many immigrants from the UK will turn "paki" into an insult in Oz by constantly telling people verywhere it is rude... when it actually is rather benign.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 11:54 pm
Banned

Very Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant future

I like that!
Old Jan 11th 2010, 11:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy

YOU ARE NOT KING SHIT.

This country does not exist to serve your needs and wants, atleast not exclusively. Things are the way they are because the majority of people want it to be that way.

Excuse me! Don't you know who he is?! He's a British citizen . . . that's right BRITISH . . . and as such deserves to be treated in the manner he has become accustomed to . . .
Old Jan 11th 2010, 11:58 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by copa
"pakis" isn't an insult here. It would have been like someone saying "f**king kiwis" or "f**king brits" ... it's the "f**king" that makes it rude... not the "pakis"..

If you really really don't like it here... go home.
Haven't you said just what the foul mouthed kids said but without the swearing???? Pakis is insulting, just because you think it is acceptable shows your own ignorance and lack of social conscience.
If people dont like something Ozzies always come out with that retort, yet, they never see fault in their attitudes.
DON'T go home, bring attention to the issues and force change because Ozzies are too apathetic to make change themselves. This is exactly why people from outside ozzie culture see how it is so far behind other civilised societies, it is still a backwards country with backwards people who have this inherent 'wild west' lawless attitude where gangsters are media celebrities!!
Oh, by the way, if you are originally from the UK you should be ashamed of yourself!!
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:00 am
Banned

I'm not ashamed but I am ashamed your on this forum!
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

sooperlids is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by spartacus
Is that because you're not an Australian?
Clearly I am not Australian. I fail to see your point?
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:04 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy

YOU ARE NOT KING SHIT.

The whole of Australia is made up of immigrants apart from the indigenious people, yet they have no say in what the majority of immigrants have decided is 'the ozzie way'. Complete and utter hypocrisy is the ozzie way and it disgusts me.
Go home...why?? Why should I let some morons and ignorant persons force me to live where they say?? I choose to stay here because I want to experience change and I can accept change, but that does not preclude me or anyone one else having an opinion or voicing it. A voice can challenge and maybe enough voices will bring attention to things which even a minority wants changing....its an old fashioned thing called democracy.
Maybe one day, you never know, society in Australia will realise just how out of touch it is with the rest of the world.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:05 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by Very Happy
I'm not ashamed but I am ashamed your on this forum!
Why??? Do you not like opinions or challenges that differ from yours??
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Clearly I am not Australian. I fail to see your point?
The meaning of a word is imbued with the context in which it is used.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:10 am
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paddyo
Haven't you said just what the foul mouthed kids said but without the swearing???? Pakis is insulting, just because you think it is acceptable shows your own ignorance and lack of social conscience.
If people dont like something Ozzies always come out with that retort, yet, they never see fault in their attitudes.
DON'T go home, bring attention to the issues and force change because Ozzies are too apathetic to make change themselves. This is exactly why people from outside ozzie culture see how it is so far behind other civilised societies, it is still a backwards country with backwards people who have this inherent 'wild west' lawless attitude where gangsters are media celebrities!!
Oh, by the way, if you are originally from the UK you should be ashamed of yourself!!
How funny.

"pakis" is rude ... in the UK.

In Oz is is just another word that has been shortened like they do to 100s of other words.

something for you to go crazy over... lol
http://bigpondnews.com/articles/Spor...ny_413883.html
Profligate Pakis pile on Ponting's agony

and (from elsewhere in the world)
http://blogs.timeslive.co.za/cricket...-happy-hussey/
Poor Pakis; Happy Hussey
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

nephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the rough

to the original poster,good truthful post I felt exactly the same as you right from the start,yes oz is a white society and yes the attitudes are dire get out as soon as you can,I moved state and stayed over 4 years too long,I have been called a paki a coon and a black wog.Life is too short to live somewhere your not happy,take care z.Copa the Alf Garnett routine is so last century.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.