Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australia - My honest opinions

Australia - My honest opinions

Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

chrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Australia - My honest opinions

Originally Posted by aussietobe
Dude, "Paki" is insulting because you are looking at it through your own cultural prism. Australia has its own culture. You remind me of the Brits who came to India and decided that the savages should be civilised and Anglophiled. It is contemptuous.

You are just wanting to feel above a group of people, and it is quite obvious.

You might feel that you have graced Australia with your "presence" and highly advanced ways, but seriously, Aussies don

In the UK, dumb-as-shit footballers and page 3 girls are celebrities. If you want to get in a debate about much more advanced the UK is to Australia, you won't win.
I take it you had first hand experience of the British rule of India then?

You are rtight with your comment that you will never win a debate with an Australian over Australia compared to any other Country in the world. You are so inward looking as a nation that you cannot see your Country's many faults.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 10:04 pm
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Your background led you to try and defend the indefensible, The Travellers. Nobody and I really do mean nobody from the UK would use the words "honest and hardworking" to describe them. People did try to explain we were probably talking about different people but you chose to ignore it.
Which is why the guy asked you where you were from in the first place.
And now you try to show me the door.

"English" English - "you don't know these people, you've never had to live near or with them. They are appalling."
"Aussie" English (particularly country queensland) - "what do you know about aboriginals, you've never had to live near or with them. They are appalling."
Old Jan 12th 2010, 11:30 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by copa

It was actually a picture of a knob....
Old Jan 12th 2010, 11:34 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by copa

"English" English - "you don't know these people, you've never had to live near or with them. They are appalling."
"Aussie" English (particularly country queensland) - "what do you know about aboriginals, you've never had to live near or with them. They are appalling."

I don't think that anyone understands what you are talking about.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 12:33 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
It was actually a picture of a knob....
A rather large one at that.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 12:39 am
The Stars are Underground

Beachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to all

I remember my time spent in central India, was staying in a compound there. The term I remember the expats used for the Indians there was - Findians(you know what the F stands for).
Old Jan 13th 2010, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nick72

Gotta love sweeping statements on here. Nothing on the telly ? thats right we sit and watch a blank screen, you know we have carpet and electricity here too right ?
Let's be honest, Australian TV is poor. With the exception of ABC and SBS it's a fairly constant stream of American show repeats.

I am keeping it real by saying in all my time here I dont think its expensive, I dont think its agressive, never seen any racism and it has invented lots of things too so not really backwards ? even my internet is faster than the UK fancy that...
I've found that groceries, clothing, books, computer software etc is far more expensive than the UK. Only thing I can say is cheaper is petrol and eating out.
There's a fair bit of aggression also. Be it something like over-aggressive driving, to drunken aggression you'll experience over weekends (same can however be said of the UK)
I do find it hard to believe you've 'never' seen racism. I experience it on an almost daily basis from work colleagues, to in-laws, to Aussie friends. It's most definitely there.
Regarding your internet connection, I'm pretty sure that's more expensive than the UK, plus probably capped?

But of course thats my opionion, others have been beaten up, mugged abused cant watch telly, racially taunted, but thats the world we live in isnt it ? You can be anywhere and that would happen.

To make a 'decision' to move based on others opinions, people you have never even met before ? I would guess you would move to that place and move back to where you came from pretty quick !

We decided to go to Aus all on our own and we used BE to ask mainly about the Visa app, the rest you find out when you get here ! Take suburbs, a lot of posters told us Pacific Pines, when we got here we didnt like it at all, (sorry Pac Piners your place is lovely just not for us !) you can only make those decisions when ur here and get a feel for it yourself. If you decide you dont like it and you go back to the UK what a fantastic adventure you had !

I love opinions :

"An opinion may be the result of a person's perspective, understanding, particular feelings, beliefs, and desires. In casual use, the term opinion may refer to unsubstantiated information, in contrast to knowledge and fact-based beliefs."

Good luck everyone...

Nick
In my opinion.

Last edited by The_Wookie; Jan 13th 2010 at 12:47 am. Reason: dd
Old Jan 13th 2010, 1:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sooperlids
Well obviously you are very perceptive. I guess if you saw me you would be able to tell if I were French, German, or from another part of Europe. Hope those mentioned in the OP message were as clever as you. Though I doubt it.

I wonder if they asked first before their insult?

Personally the same as many others I find the term insulting, would find it more insulting & probably upsetting were I from many parts of Asia.

Find it odd that many are defending it's use despite the context it was said in the original posters message.
Your making an issue where there isn't one. Australians only use the word Paki, when there is Cricket on basically.

The word Paki, is a UK issue not an Australian one.... Nor even one in Pakistan.

I'll repeat Indians or people that look like Indians are called something different here.... the term most commonly used is "curry muncher"
Old Jan 13th 2010, 1:35 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Ah well that's alright then, 'Curry-Muncher' is much better than 'Paki'.....

Old Jan 13th 2010, 2:00 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
Ah well that's alright then, 'Curry-Muncher' is much better than 'Paki'.....

Sounds like something Bernard Manning would say!
Old Jan 13th 2010, 2:07 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Sounds like something Bernard Manning would say!
he did make fantastic sausages though!
Old Jan 13th 2010, 2:11 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
I thought he was buried?
Old Jan 13th 2010, 2:11 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

The Turkey Twizzlers were better!
Old Jan 13th 2010, 2:14 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
The Turkey Twizzlers were better!
He didn't like Turks
Old Jan 13th 2010, 2:19 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Bernard Matthews made fantastic sausages.
Bernard Manning sold God awful beer.

Anybody who has ever been to the Embassy Club would vouch for that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.