Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australia - My honest opinions

Australia - My honest opinions

Old Jan 12th 2010, 7:27 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Australia - My honest opinions

Originally Posted by aussietobe
My comment: another whinging pom. Sorry.
Yes the Flies , the heat, racist aussies, lack of choice shopping , dangerous spiders, sound like its copyed right out of the whinging Poms handbook.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 7:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
On a personal level - not as a Mod - I had a conversation today with a family in Tasmania who are from Pakistan. They said they have frequently been called "Pakis" since arriving here, and find it offensive. They also found it offensive that the staff in Target kept searching their bags..........

I'd say they are UK based Pakistanis..... Pakistanis dont cotton on to the possibility of the abbreviation being bad until they visit the UK. Pakistanis straight from Pakistan dont have a problem, from what I've seen and heard.

I make a point of asking as well.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:03 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by copa
well... in Oz I've been asked if i am English ... but that only happens in QLD for some reason ... in the UK I'm asked if I'm Australian ... ... in the west of Canada I've been asked if I'm from canada's eastern regions... also, in my home town I'm sometimes not recognised as a local when I start talking..

I'va also been called a wog ... but not for a very long time...

lol...
Was that supposed to answer the guys question?
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:19 pm
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Was that supposed to answer the guys question?
are you his personal assistant?
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

sooperlids is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I'd say they are UK based Pakistanis..... Pakistanis dont cotton on to the possibility of the abbreviation being bad until they visit the UK. Pakistanis straight from Pakistan dont have a problem, from what I've seen and heard.

I make a point of asking as well.

I would imagine that those not actually from Pakistan may have a problem with it? Have you "asked" somebody that is not from Pakistan what they think?
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:26 pm
Account Closed

are you his personal assistant?
It's a valid question and puts you in 'context'. If you choose not to answer it then I guess its because you feel you have something to hide.

Next time somebody asks you in the street 'where you from mate?' make sure you respond with the similar evasiveness you show here.... or better yet just say "**** off, its none of your business". It will go down real well.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sooperlids
I would imagine that those not actually from Pakistan may have a problem with it? Have you "asked" somebody that is not from Pakistan what they think?
Nope I know the difference and wouldnt do it.... There aren't that many people from Pakistan here anyway.

Aussies dont refer to Indians as Paki's at all. It's generally only around cricket when Australia is playing Pakistan that the term gets used.

Most Aussies would assume people from the Sub continent are Indian and would use a different colloquial term.

I'd say the people that Polly has met have told people they are from Pakistan origins, or heard the term on the TV around cricket time.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:43 pm
Account Closed

Indian media
http://www.expressindia.com/news/ful...p?newsid=21565
‘Operation Sarp Vinash’ claims 30 Pakis

International cricket website
http://www.crickettomorrow.com/site/...id=2936&lang=1
Vintage Pakis Clipped the Wings of Kiwis.

Oz sports media
http://www.centraltelegraph.com.au/s...e-ready-pakis/
Aussies better be ready for Pakis

African media
http://blogs.timeslive.co.za/cricket...-happy-hussey/
Poor Pakis; Happy Hussey
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:45 pm
Account Closed

It's a valid question and puts you in 'context'. If you choose not to answer it then I guess its because you feel you have something to hide.

Next time somebody asks you in the street 'where you from mate?' make sure you respond with the similar evasiveness you show here.... or better yet just say "**** off, its none of your business". It will go down real well.
It's not relevant at all. sook.

Dari mana? Dari sana...
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:52 pm
Account Closed

It's not relevant at all. sook.

Dari mana? Dari sana...
Really.... look through this thread, and at your own post before this... all about discussing the use of the term Paki.

Nationality makes 100% difference to that discussion. Brits see it as racist... Aussies don't.

You feel the need to hide your own nationality... fair enough.

....and don't forget to check out site rule 16.

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Jan 12th 2010 at 8:55 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:14 pm
Account Closed

Really.... look through this thread, and at your own post before this... all about discussing the use of the term Paki.

Nationality makes 100% difference to that discussion. Brits see it as racist... Aussies don't.

You feel the need to hide your own nationality... fair enough.

....and don't forget to check out site rule 16.
so.. not only are you another users personal assistant you are now the forum police officer?

my background, skin colour, ethnicity, family tree etc is not relevant. Not relevant at all...

btw.. the translation is "Q: where you from? A: From there." It's an everyday exchange in indonesia...

Last edited by copa; Jan 12th 2010 at 9:17 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:29 pm
Account Closed

so.. not only are you another users personal assistant you are now the forum police officer?

my background, skin colour, ethnicity, family tree etc is not relevant. Not relevant at all...

btw.. the translation is "Q: where you from? A: From there." It's an everyday exchange in indonesia...
Your background led you to try and defend the indefensible, The Travellers. Nobody and I really do mean nobody from the UK would use the words "honest and hardworking" to describe them. People did try to explain we were probably talking about different people but you chose to ignore it.
Which is why the guy asked you where you were from in the first place.
Attached Thumbnails Australia - My honest opinions-knob.jpg  
Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

sooperlids is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Nope I know the difference and wouldnt do it.... There aren't that many people from Pakistan here anyway.

Aussies dont refer to Indians as Paki's at all. It's generally only around cricket when Australia is playing Pakistan that the term gets used.

Most Aussies would assume people from the Sub continent are Indian and would use a different colloquial term.

I'd say the people that Polly has met have told people they are from Pakistan origins, or heard the term on the TV around cricket time.

Well obviously you are very perceptive. I guess if you saw me you would be able to tell if I were French, German, or from another part of Europe. Hope those mentioned in the OP message were as clever as you. Though I doubt it.

I wonder if they asked first before their insult?

Personally the same as many others I find the term insulting, would find it more insulting & probably upsetting were I from many parts of Asia.

Find it odd that many are defending it's use despite the context it was said in the original posters message.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:39 pm
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by paddyo
The whole of Australia is made up of immigrants apart from the indigenious people, yet they have no say in what the majority of immigrants have decided is 'the ozzie way'. Complete and utter hypocrisy is the ozzie way and it disgusts me.
Go home...why?? Why should I let some morons and ignorant persons force me to live where they say?? I choose to stay here because I want to experience change and I can accept change, but that does not preclude me or anyone one else having an opinion or voicing it. A voice can challenge and maybe enough voices will bring attention to things which even a minority wants changing....its an old fashioned thing called democracy.
Maybe one day, you never know, society in Australia will realise just how out of touch it is with the rest of the world.
what he said
Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:44 pm
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I hate the word, its funny how people justify it by saying 'everyone says it here'

Its like the word 'Nigger' - I have heard that used here on more than one occasion and been told 'Oh they dont mind, I always call him that'

They are horrible words, and are certainly not meant in a nice way and just because 'everyone says it' - does it make it right? I think not.

As for the bag searching, to be honest it doesnt bother me - I just present my bag before they ask, they have a quick look and then I am off.

However, the idea of tampons/condoms etc does make me giggle, I wonder how a pair of undies smeared in chocolate spread might go down, you could whip them out of your bag and say 'Oh, I love licking my own knicks' and then watch the shock/horror on their faces.
can you imagine someone Tesco or Sainsburys asking to see what was in your bag it would make the front page of the Daily Mail.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.