Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australia - My honest opinions

Australia - My honest opinions

Old Jan 12th 2010, 6:58 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Australia - My honest opinions

Originally Posted by chrissystevo
A few, but I thought that would do for now.
Your opinions are valued we all have to right to say as we feel.

Old Jan 12th 2010, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

peanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nice

Hi Chrrisystevo,

I like you lived on the GC for 2 years trying to get over everything you mentioned. Yes of course I will never forgot the cost of eating out and the smalll portions you then recieve. The cost of Mc D's in Aus compared to the UK.

The bag searching thing. I wouldnt mind but most of the time my bag was worth more than the poxy crap they are trying to flog in the shops. I found it an invasion of privacy and a typical example of the aus mentality.

Honest to God the person who said $15.00 jeans were cheap and available in AUS yeah if they are from BIG W and who the hell wants to shop there. In UK you can get jeans for £2.00 and they actually fit and last.

I think you people living in Aus pretending its perfect in every way are really the cause of people emigrating and then returning because you come on this website when you are in the UK and cant get a balanced view of the country you are moving too.

Yes it's hot and full of insects, snakes and wildlife. But do we realise its expensive, aggressive, racist, backwards, with nothing on the telly and no night life unless you count drinking. Do we heck, please expaters living down under. KEEP IT REAL.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 7:22 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Really?. I'm hurt now.

Well, seeing how you're British that will matter.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Well as somebody recently granted PR, I thought that was a useful first post by OP. It would have been nicer if you also had something good to say, there must be something surely? Nevertheless I thought it was helpful so thanks.

This Paki thing seems to come up a lot on BE. Maybe people from UK have to adjust to a different use of the word here but by the same token perhaps others could cut some slack to new immigrants whilst they adjust. I would recognise new immigrants to the UK need time to adjust, whilst ultimately I think all immigrnats need to. It is very ingrained in UK culture that Paki is a bad word and that is not going to change the moment one gets onto a plane. I have a Pakistani girl working for me now, if I referred to her as "the Paki girl" I would fully expect to be fired on the spot. If one of the other team referred to her like that I would report it to HR and would be expected to do so.

Whilst it might be an acceptable shortening in Australia, surely in the circumstances described by OP it was not just a shortening, i.e. two young girls swearing at Asian men for no reason and without actually knowing their country of origin. That some seek to defend this only adds credence to OP's claim that many in Australia are racist.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:02 am
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paddyo
I say it again, you are not getting the point...Gypsys and Travellers are two seperate groups. Travellers are without exception, filthy, lawless, aggressive non tax paying carbuncles on UK society. Gypsies just have dubious australian relatives!!
you said
"I'm with you on that one, I have seen at first hand the digusting mess, the intimidation and the complete and utter lawlessness that emanates from every shithole they set up."
in response to:
"Im afraid that when I lived in the UK I despised the gypsies/travellers and have a fine selection of words I would use to describe them as well"

everyone lives in filth eh?
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:06 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Well as somebody recently granted PR, I thought that was a useful first post by OP. It would have been nicer if you also had something good to say, there must be something surely? Nevertheless I thought it was helpful so thanks.

This Paki thing seems to come up a lot on BE. Maybe people from UK have to adjust to a different use of the word here but by the same token perhaps others could cut some slack to new immigrants whilst they adjust. I would recognise new immigrants to the UK need time to adjust, whilst ultimately I think all immigrnats need to. It is very ingrained in UK culture that Paki is a bad word and that is not going to change the moment one gets onto a plane. I have a Pakistani girl working for me now, if I referred to her as "the Paki girl" I would fully expect to be fired on the spot. If one of the other team referred to her like that I would report it to HR and would be expected to do so.

Whilst it might be an acceptable shortening in Australia, surely in the circumstances described by OP it was not just a shortening, i.e. two young girls swearing at Asian men for no reason and without actually knowing their country of origin. That some seek to defend this only adds credence to OP's claim that many in Australia are racist.
It shows that Britons are bring their crap with them. Probably brought binge drinking to go with it.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WillBlack
It shows that Britons are bring their crap with them. Probably brought binge drinking to go with it.

What shows that Britons bring their crap with them?

There is indeed far too much binge drinking in the UK.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:36 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Unlike the Yanks who have no problem calling a spade a spade?
Yanks can't even master basic english.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:11 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, the British brought binge drinking to New South Wales under Governor Bligh:

Rum Rebellion
Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrissystevo
I have been discussing these things with my wife and a couple of friends over the past few weeks and have decided to put them down in writing on here. I am prepared to take all the flack and criticisms that come my way, but remember they are only my opinions.

1) This is my biggest bugbear and the thing I think all people interested in coming to Australia should seriously consider. Everything has a cost, and every cost seems to be excessive. We have had to pay to have all of our utilities connected from phone line, broadband, electricity etc. I was gobsmacked when I was told by our electricity company that I could not give them a meter reading over the phone, they would send somebody out to read it and charge us $30. Our children will be starting school in a couple of weeks and as well as the 2 new uniforms we knew we would have to buy we also have to shell out $100 each to cover books etc. Perhaps we were spoilt in the UK as these were provided by the schools. Groceries, clothing, books, dvd's, cd's etc arer all hideously expensive here.

2) Lack of choice. In addition to, and probably causing the above, there is little choice when it comes to things like groceries, utilities etc. There are one or two massive companies (Woolworths, Coles etc) who have a monopoly and can afford to charge what they like and the suckers who live here are forced to pay it.

3) Go slow attitude. Even though you have to pay for everything, everything seems to be done at such a slow pace. Phone to get the phone line in your house activated, takes three weeks to send somebody to do a 10 minute job.

3) Drink. From what I have seen there is a massive drinking culture and problem here. Go to the Bayside area parks at the weekend or the Currumbin Rock Pools for a few hours on a Sunday afternoon and every other person will have a bottle of beer in their hand. I was on a train around 10pm on Friday late (so not too late) and I lost count of the number of drunk people on the train swearing and shouting the whole time. My wife was on a train Saturday night to be greeted with the sight of a young girl filling carrier bags with vomit whilst her friend took pictures of her!

4) Racism. Sorry but I think the Australian people are very racist. In the time I have been here I have seen things said on television and written in newspapers that we would never see and hear in the UK. Ok perhaps we have gone too far but I think the Australians have some way to go. Again on the train on Friday night a bunch of drunk teenagers were giving grief to the security guards (both asian) and calling them pakis. When one of the group told them this was a bit out of order they justified it by saying "we're aussies, this is Australia, this is what we do, if you don't like it, f%&k off!". This seems to be the common response here.

5) Weather. One of the big plusses for Australia. It is wonderful to be able to go out in the warm sun and not worry about wrapping the children up in layers etc, worry about getting rained on etc. However it very often becomes too hot and humid to go out anyway and the only thing you feel like doing is sitting in an air conditioned room. When you are out you can only spend limited time in the sun for fear of burning and are then scrabbling around looking for shade. The constant need to put sunscreen on also becomes a bit tiring after a while.

6) Wildlife. The varied and abundant wildlife is fantastic. However when you have fruit bats and crows scrambling about on your roof at 4am it isn't so wonderful. Checking your shoes and toilet seats for spiders is a pain, spraying insect repellant that doesn't work is a pain, getting bitten by mozzies and flies is a pain, having to be on guard that your dogs don't try and eat a cain toad as they will die is a pain etc etc!!!!

7) Others. I HATE having my bag looked in when I leave a shop and generally refuse to show them. It is as though everybody is considered a shoplifter and needs to prove otherwise. The place is stuck in a 1980's time warp. I haven't seen as many mullets since I last watched UK Gold! Poor infrastructure - I hate the fact that you can't use your debit card at lost of places such as train stations, food courts etc. Australian TV and radio is crap!!!! And why do they stop a film or programme every 10 minutes to put on a commercial, which are also annoying?

Anyway there you go a summary of my thoughts and opinions. Feel free to comment or discuss
My comment: another whinging pom. Sorry.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Having a spotty youth poking around inside your bag will NEVER make sense. Little tip for the OP - place underwear, tampons, condoms, or something of the same ilk on top of the contents of any bag. Works a treat and can give hours of amusement.
Alternatively, when they say "I want to see whats in your bag".....show them....ALL of it. By emptying the bag onto the counter. Again gives hours of amusement as they say "oh no no I don't mean empty it" and you reply "you want to see whats in it, well here ya go......"
I get particular pleasure from doing that in Coles, when I pop in to buy a tin of something on my way to work. They find themselves dealing with the contents of a full rucksack AND a laptop bag, all spread across the counter, and they have to wait ages while I repack it all properly. Some of the staff there have now seen sense and no longer ask "What's in that bag?" Maybe if more of us took a stand against it, instead of the meek Aussie "she'll be right" attitude of compliance, things might change.
I don't have a problem with it. Unfortunatley shoplifting causes all of us to pay more for things. I experienced annoyance in Boots in the UK having heaps of security gurads swarming around watching your every move.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
Ultimately the country does not exist to please YOU.

Immigrants, from anywhere and everywhere have to learn this simple lesson.

YOU ARE NOT KING SHIT.

This country does not exist to serve your needs and wants, atleast not exclusively. Things are the way they are because the majority of people want it to be that way.

If you do not conform then you must leave. Simple as.
Spot on. These threads and the people who start them are my *bugbear* about Australia. I have lived in the UK for years and I could write pages of my annoyances.... seriously some people need to GROW UP.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by paddyo
Haven't you said just what the foul mouthed kids said but without the swearing???? Pakis is insulting, just because you think it is acceptable shows your own ignorance and lack of social conscience.
If people dont like something Ozzies always come out with that retort, yet, they never see fault in their attitudes.
DON'T go home, bring attention to the issues and force change because Ozzies are too apathetic to make change themselves. This is exactly why people from outside ozzie culture see how it is so far behind other civilised societies, it is still a backwards country with backwards people who have this inherent 'wild west' lawless attitude where gangsters are media celebrities!!
Oh, by the way, if you are originally from the UK you should be ashamed of yourself!!
ARE YOU SERIOUS??????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????

If you are, shame on you!!
Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:50 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aussietobe
Spot on. These threads and the people who start them are my *bugbear* about Australia. I have lived in the UK for years and I could write pages of my annoyances.... seriously some people need to GROW UP.
On the other hand, if something is really getting to you, is a forum such as this not the perfect place to vent it?
Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by IndieG
And all the stuff is made in China and the quality leaves much to be desired. So just can't justify the extortionate prices at Bob Stewart.
Bob Stewart must be one of the richest men in Melb! What a rip off merchant. Spent $600 in there on Monday for clothing that will last a year if I am lucky.

Eldest son won an academic award for the second year running. Do you think the school would cough up the cost of the embroidery on his blazer - NO! To make matters worse because it was the second year in a row he had won the award the actual embroidery required was less but guess what the cost was more I've given up trying to understand pricing here.

Hint for MacRob: go to the 2nd hand uniform sale - much cheaper

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.