Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australia - My honest opinions

Australia - My honest opinions

Old Jan 11th 2010, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

chrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Australia - My honest opinions

I have been discussing these things with my wife and a couple of friends over the past few weeks and have decided to put them down in writing on here. I am prepared to take all the flack and criticisms that come my way, but remember they are only my opinions.

1) This is my biggest bugbear and the thing I think all people interested in coming to Australia should seriously consider. Everything has a cost, and every cost seems to be excessive. We have had to pay to have all of our utilities connected from phone line, broadband, electricity etc. I was gobsmacked when I was told by our electricity company that I could not give them a meter reading over the phone, they would send somebody out to read it and charge us $30. Our children will be starting school in a couple of weeks and as well as the 2 new uniforms we knew we would have to buy we also have to shell out $100 each to cover books etc. Perhaps we were spoilt in the UK as these were provided by the schools. Groceries, clothing, books, dvd's, cd's etc arer all hideously expensive here.

2) Lack of choice. In addition to, and probably causing the above, there is little choice when it comes to things like groceries, utilities etc. There are one or two massive companies (Woolworths, Coles etc) who have a monopoly and can afford to charge what they like and the suckers who live here are forced to pay it.

3) Go slow attitude. Even though you have to pay for everything, everything seems to be done at such a slow pace. Phone to get the phone line in your house activated, takes three weeks to send somebody to do a 10 minute job.

3) Drink. From what I have seen there is a massive drinking culture and problem here. Go to the Bayside area parks at the weekend or the Currumbin Rock Pools for a few hours on a Sunday afternoon and every other person will have a bottle of beer in their hand. I was on a train around 10pm on Friday late (so not too late) and I lost count of the number of drunk people on the train swearing and shouting the whole time. My wife was on a train Saturday night to be greeted with the sight of a young girl filling carrier bags with vomit whilst her friend took pictures of her!

4) Racism. Sorry but I think the Australian people are very racist. In the time I have been here I have seen things said on television and written in newspapers that we would never see and hear in the UK. Ok perhaps we have gone too far but I think the Australians have some way to go. Again on the train on Friday night a bunch of drunk teenagers were giving grief to the security guards (both asian) and calling them pakis. When one of the group told them this was a bit out of order they justified it by saying "we're aussies, this is Australia, this is what we do, if you don't like it, f%&k off!". This seems to be the common response here.

5) Weather. One of the big plusses for Australia. It is wonderful to be able to go out in the warm sun and not worry about wrapping the children up in layers etc, worry about getting rained on etc. However it very often becomes too hot and humid to go out anyway and the only thing you feel like doing is sitting in an air conditioned room. When you are out you can only spend limited time in the sun for fear of burning and are then scrabbling around looking for shade. The constant need to put sunscreen on also becomes a bit tiring after a while.

6) Wildlife. The varied and abundant wildlife is fantastic. However when you have fruit bats and crows scrambling about on your roof at 4am it isn't so wonderful. Checking your shoes and toilet seats for spiders is a pain, spraying insect repellant that doesn't work is a pain, getting bitten by mozzies and flies is a pain, having to be on guard that your dogs don't try and eat a cain toad as they will die is a pain etc etc!!!!

7) Others. I HATE having my bag looked in when I leave a shop and generally refuse to show them. It is as though everybody is considered a shoplifter and needs to prove otherwise. The place is stuck in a 1980's time warp. I haven't seen as many mullets since I last watched UK Gold! Poor infrastructure - I hate the fact that you can't use your debit card at lost of places such as train stations, food courts etc. Australian TV and radio is crap!!!! And why do they stop a film or programme every 10 minutes to put on a commercial, which are also annoying?

Anyway there you go a summary of my thoughts and opinions. Feel free to comment or discuss

Last edited by chrissystevo; Jan 11th 2010 at 10:43 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia - My honest opinions

I agree with all that you've said, as those things drive me mad too, and I've lived here a long time. I've even cursed the nuisance of beach sand getting everywhere, and missing pebble beaches! What you've got to consider are the pros and cons of staying in Australia, moving somewhere else in Australia where some of those things are less of a problem, or the pros and cons of moving back to the UK or somewhere else. It involves a lot of research and soul-searching, and perhaps, over time, some sort of acceptance. At least you haven't got Perth drivers to contend with and the cane toads haven't got here (yet)!

Last edited by HelenTD; Jan 11th 2010 at 10:18 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrissystevo
I have been discussing these things with my wife and a couple of friends over the past few weeks and have decided to put them down in writing on here. I am prepared to take all the flack and criticisms that come my way, but remember they are only my opinions.

1) This is my biggest bugbear and the thing I think all people interested in coming to Australia should seriously consider. Everything has a cost, and every cost seems to be excessive. We have had to pay to have all of our utilities connected from phone line, broadband, electricity etc. I was gobsmacked when I was told by our electricity company that I could not give them a meter reading over the phone, they would send somebody out to read it and charge us $30. Our children will be starting school in a couple of weeks and as well as the 2 new uniforms we knew we would have to buy we also have to shell out $100 each to cover books etc. Perhaps we were spoilt in the UK as these were provided by the schools. Groceries, clothing, books, dvd's, cd's etc arer all hideously expensive here.

2) Lack of choice. In addition to, and probably causing the above, there is little choice when it comes to things like groceries, utilities etc. There are one or two massive companies (Woolworths, Coles etc) who have a monopoly and can afford to charge what they like and the suckers who live here are forced to pay it.

3) Go slow attitude. Even though you have to pay for everything, everything seems to be done at such a slow pace. Phone up to get phone line in your house activated, takes three weeks to send somebody to do a 10 minute job.

3) Drink. From what I have seen there is a massive drinking culture and problem here. Go to the Bayside area parks at the weekend or the Currumbin Rock Pools for a few hours on a Sunday afternoon and every other person will have a bottle of beer in their hand. I was on a train around 10pm on Friday late (so not too late) and I lost count of the number of drunk people on the train swearing and shouting the whole time. My wife was on a train Saturday night to be greeted with the sight of a young girl filling carrier bags with vomit whilst her friend took pictures of her!

4) Racism. Sorry but I think the Australian people are very racist. In the timer I have been here I have seen things said on television and written in newspapers that we would never see and hear in ther UK. Ok perhaps we have gone too far but I think the Australians have some way to go. Again on the train on Friday night a bunch of drunk teenagers were giving grief to the security guards (both asian) and calling them pakis. When one of the group told them this was a bit out of order they justified by saying #we're aussies, this is Australia, this is what we do, if you don't like it, f%&k off!". This seems to be the common response here.

5) Weather. One of the big plusses for Australia. It is wonderful to be able to go out in the warm sun and not worry about wrapping the children up in layers etc, worry about getting rained on etc. However it very often becomes too hot and humid to go out anyway and the only thing you feel like doing is sitting in an air conditioned room. When you are out you can only spend limited time in the sun for fear of burning and are then scrabbling around looking for shade. The constant need to put sunscreen on also becomes a bit tiring after a while.

6) Wildlife. The varied and abundant wildlife is fantastic. However when you have fruit bats and crows scrambling about on your roof at 4am it isn't so wonderful. Checking your shoes and toilet seats for spiders is a pain, spraying insect repellant that doesn't work is a pain, getting bitten by mozzies and flies is a pain, having to be on guard that your dogs don't try and eat a cain toad as they will die is a pain etc etc!!!!

7) Others. I HATE having my bag looked in when I leave a shop and generally refuse to show them. It is as though everybody is considered a shoplifter and needs to prove otherwise. The place is stuck in a 1980's time warp. I haven't seen as many mullets since I last watched UK Gold! Poor infrastructure - I hate the fact that you can't use your debit card at lost of places such as train stations, food courts etc. Australian TV and radio is crap!!!! And why do they stop a film or programme every 10 minutes to put on a commercial, which are also annoying?

Anyway there you go a summary of my thoughts and opinions. Feel free to comment or discuss
Sorry to say but I know for a fact that the whole binge drinking thing is pretty much an Anglo-Saxon tradition for a big part. I'm from Latin America say yes my opinion is more or less an informed one.

As regards to the strong sun and hot weather in the summer, I can relate. Puerto Rico is hot December to March, and very hot from April till November! What I and many people in Puerto Rico do, is get up at 6 AM do everything you need to get done or go when the sun's down. Course you're working during most of the hot day anyway.

They do the same in the US here, every 10-15 minutes the program cuts to commercial break.And by the way the commercials are there to keep Australian TV free, free in the sense that you don't pay a licensing fee.

Last edited by chrisfromusa; Jan 11th 2010 at 10:31 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 10:41 pm
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Groceries, clothing, books, dvd's, cd's etc arer all hideously expensive here.
Hideously?! $15 for a pair of jeans is not hideous at all.

quite a few markets plus aldi in my part of Oz that compete with the big 2.

agree ... drink is a problem in places ..

4) Racism. Sorry but I think the Australian people are very racist. In the timer I have been here I have seen things said on television and written in newspapers that we would never see and hear in ther UK. Ok perhaps we have gone too far but I think the Australians have some way to go. Again on the train on Friday night a bunch of drunk teenagers were giving grief to the security guards (both asian) and calling them pakis. When one of the group told them this was a bit out of order they justified by saying #we're aussies, this is Australia, this is what we do, if you don't like it, f%&k off!". This seems to be the common response here.
They called them "pakis" eh? That's an insult in the UK. Not in Oz. I doubt very much they were calling them "pakis". "pakis" is sometimes used in the media here (cricket media in particular) in the same way they say "kiwi", "brit" etc...

move somewhere with lower summer UV levels.. those places do exist.

cooking some of the local wildlife has been a highlight for me..

forgive me for asking .... but you're experiencing culture shock aren't you?????? After a few years a lot of it all starts to make sense
Old Jan 11th 2010, 10:48 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

3) Go slow attitude. Even though you have to pay for everything, everything seems to be done at such a slow pace. Phone to get the phone line in your house activated, takes three weeks to send somebody to do a 10 minute job.

4) Racism. Sorry but I think the Australian people are very racist. In the time I have been here I have seen things said on television and written in newspapers that we would never see and hear in the UK. Ok perhaps we have gone too far but I think the Australians have some way to go. Again on the train on Friday night a bunch of drunk teenagers were giving grief to the security guards (both asian) and calling them pakis. When one of the group told them this was a bit out of order they justified it by saying "we're aussies, this is Australia, this is what we do, if you don't like it, f%&k off!". This seems to be the common response here.

Anything else?
Old Jan 11th 2010, 10:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

. . . meh . . . I'll give you til Easter

Last edited by spartacus; Jan 11th 2010 at 10:51 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

chrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by copa
They called them "pakis" eh? That's an insult in the UK. Not in Oz. I doubt very much they were calling them "pakis". "pakis" is sometimes used in the media here (cricket media in particular) in the same way they say "kiwi", "brit" etc...

forgive me for asking .... but you're experiencing culture shock aren't you?????? After a few years a lot of it all starts to make sense
You can doubt all you like, I was sat a few feet away from them and hey called them pakis a few times, as well as a few other insults usually paraphrased by "f&^king".

No problem with you asking. Yes I probably am experiencing a culture shock, but I certainly don't intend staying here for a few years for it all to make sense. I would still recommend for people to come here for holidays, and I would love to come back and see some of the other parts of Australia, but I certainly don't want to live here for too long.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 10:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Having a spotty youth poking around inside your bag will NEVER make sense. Little tip for the OP - place underwear, tampons, condoms, or something of the same ilk on top of the contents of any bag. Works a treat and can give hours of amusement.
Alternatively, when they say "I want to see whats in your bag".....show them....ALL of it. By emptying the bag onto the counter. Again gives hours of amusement as they say "oh no no I don't mean empty it" and you reply "you want to see whats in it, well here ya go......"
I get particular pleasure from doing that in Coles, when I pop in to buy a tin of something on my way to work. They find themselves dealing with the contents of a full rucksack AND a laptop bag, all spread across the counter, and they have to wait ages while I repack it all properly. Some of the staff there have now seen sense and no longer ask "What's in that bag?" Maybe if more of us took a stand against it, instead of the meek Aussie "she'll be right" attitude of compliance, things might change.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Anything else?
A few, but I thought that would do for now.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spartacus
. . . meh . . . I'll give you til Easter
You don't have to give me until any time, I know when I'll be going. Until then I'll get out of this little adventure what I can whilst putting up with the rest.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 11:04 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

am I the only one who has never had there bag checked? must be a mainland thing
Old Jan 11th 2010, 11:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

I have been . . .

You're unfortunate to come across at a time when the pound-dollar exchange rate is at an historical low. Consequently everyhing seems expensive because you're constantly converting into pounds at something like 1.70 to the pound. We've been here for nearly three years, and have stopped the old conversion game, and even when we do we fall back into it we're using $2.50 to the pound making things appear much cheaper. However, in reality we're both deluding ourselves as we both pay $4 for a loaf of bread . . . not GBP2.35 or 1.60 . . .
Old Jan 11th 2010, 11:10 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

And people wonder why they call us Whinging Poms !!!!!
Old Jan 11th 2010, 11:15 pm
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

You can doubt all you like, I was sat a few feet away from them and hey called them pakis a few times, as well as a few other insults usually paraphrased by "f&^king".

"pakis" isn't an insult here. It would have been like someone saying "f**king kiwis" or "f**king brits" ... it's the "f**king" that makes it rude... not the "pakis"..

If you really really don't like it here... go home.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

"pakis" isn't an insult here. It would have been like someone saying "f**king kiwis" or "f**king brits" ... it's the "f**king" that makes it rude... not the "pakis"..

Maybe that's the reason why this Country is so racist as they don't see that calling somebody a "f&^king" anything based on their ethnicity or country of birth is insulting. Paraphrasing just about every sentence in public with everything with "f*&king" is rude though.

As I said these are my opinions, but sorry as I've learnt you can't have a bad thing to say about Australians, their country or their culture. I have never been to a country with so many one way streets (philisopically speaking).

If you really really don't like it here... go home.
I will when I'm ready to.

Last edited by chrissystevo; Jan 11th 2010 at 11:38 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.