Australia habitat?

Old Oct 13th 2014, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia habitat?

Originally Posted by cresta57
Is it a bird or a frog?
Have a listen to some of these sound files Sound file index - Australian National Botanic Gardens
You might find it in there somewhere lol.
Number one noisy bird for me is the Storm Bird [Eastern Koel]
Sound of the storm bird - YouTube
Thanks! It's on there, guess what it is? A Magpie! Lol lovely sound though.

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
I've not heard a foghorn bird Molly!!
I have one which I call the tardis bird because it repeatedly makes a da-da-da-daaaah like the introduction to the Doctor Who theme tune- exactly 4 repeats.

We also have the whip bird which makes the noise of the crack of the whip.
Lyre birds can imitate anything, so it could be one of those, but they tend to do it in the day.

How can I attract these birds to my garden? I don't seem to get many birds, I wonder if it's because it's cooler down here than where you are?
Old Oct 13th 2014, 8:52 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
Thanks! It's on there, guess what it is? A Magpie! Lol lovely sound though.

How can I attract these birds to my garden? I don't seem to get many birds, I wonder if it's because it's cooler down here than where you are?
You can attract birds by getting a bird feeder, they soon come calling if you feed them often. We live in bushland at the top of a hill, the back veranda is 6m from the ground at one end & to attract the birds we've used an old satellite dish as a feeder it's mounted out from the deck so the dog can't get to it. I'll take a photo next time it's full of birdlife.
We get lots of parrot species the Kings feed out of our hands as do the Lorikeets. Magpies flock to the feeder at times & one is so friendly he shares my toast in the morning. Our dog goes ballistic at him but he simply flies up out of the way.
When we first arrived we bought Simpson & Day's 'Field Guide To Australian Birds' It's helped us identify many species & we place a tick next to the ones we've seen in & over the garden. We had two copies as my folks had also bought one, unfortunately we lent it to someone who refuses to return it and the many other Australian gardening books we were silly enough to lend her.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

NOOOOOOO - don't feed the birds. The cockatoos will destroy your house and the kookies will become so bold that they will come into your kitchen and steal food from your plate.
Cockatoos will also become peeping toms and follow you from room to room pressing their beady little eyes onto the flyscreen and demanding to be fed. And they shit everywhere.

Plant native shrubs like grevilleas which attract Lorikeets and such like.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 10:43 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

NOOOOOOO - don't feed the birds. The cockatoos will destroy your house and the kookies will become so bold that they will come into your kitchen and steal food from your plate.
Cockatoos will also become peeping toms and follow you from room to room pressing their beady little eyes onto the flyscreen and demanding to be fed. And they shit everywhere.

Plant native shrubs like grevilleas which attract Lorikeets and such like.
The Cockies destroyed our house when it was new. Since we bought the dog [to scare them away] they have disappeared. In fact I haven't heard or seen one for a couple of years now. Last one I saw had that disease so maybe the rest all died as well
The birds we get now do no damage & are quite friendly. The grand-kids love feeding the Rainbow's bread & honey.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

NOOOOOOO - don't feed the birds. The cockatoos will destroy your house.
Have you been watching ' The Birds'.

The Cockies destroyed our house when it was new. Since we bought the dog [to scare them away] they have disappeared. In fact I haven't heard or seen one for a couple of years now. Last one I saw had that disease so maybe the rest all died as well
The birds we get now do no damage & are quite friendly. The grand-kids love feeding the Rainbow's bread & honey.
Destroyed your house?

I'll get a feeder and see what happens.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 11:35 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been swooped on by those charming magpies yet?
Old Oct 14th 2014, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paulry
Have you been swooped on by those charming magpies yet?
No not yet, but my eldest told me today he was sitting having lunch outside with his new buddy and one shit on the lads head. I had to laugh. Childish I know.....
Old Oct 14th 2014, 11:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We don't get the Sulphur Crested up here, plenty at the bottom of the hill though. All the birds we get are just friendly and have never attempted to eat anything other than the food we put out. The Kookies have never tried to come in the house, they just sit on the pool fence, shout, then fly at the window, tap it with their beaks then sit back on the fence and wait for me.

I wish the Galahs and Eastern Rosellas weren't so shy though, they fly off the second they hear the sound of a human.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 11:47 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

No not yet, but my eldest told me today he was sitting having lunch outside with his new buddy and one shit on the lads head. I had to laugh. Childish I know.....
The birds here are bonkers. When they are nesting (from September) they attack passers by. Cyclists really get it from them. You'll notice cyclists attach plastic pull ties to their cycle helmets to imitate discourage the attacks.

From cable ties to losing eyes: how to survive magpie season
Old Oct 14th 2014, 12:28 pm

Destroyed your house?

I'll get a feeder and see what happens.
Well we have front & back verandas & long before we started feeding the birds the Sulphur Crested Cockies & the Yellow Tailed Black Cockies had a bit of a territorial battle that resulted in them landing on the handrails & tearing large chunks out with their beaks. Unfortunately the weekend it started we were down in Brisbane partying while they were tearing chunks out of the house. By the time we came home they'd done $14k worth of damage.
We tried everything to stop them & eventually bought a dog that we trained to scare them off. By the time he was trained most had died out due to psittacine beak and feather disease virus.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well we have front & back verandas & long before we started feeding the birds the Sulphur Crested Cockies & the Yellow Tailed Black Cockies had a bit of a territorial battle that resulted in them landing on the handrails & tearing large chunks out with their beaks. Unfortunately the weekend it started we were down in Brisbane partying while they were tearing chunks out of the house. By the time we came home they'd done $14k worth of damage.
We tried everything to stop them & eventually bought a dog that we trained to scare them off. By the time he was trained most had died out due to psittacine beak and feather disease virus.

14k? Holy she-at! I'm surprised you still like birds at all.

I thought you two were exaggerating, when you said destroyed house.

Caroline you need to get a dog. Problem solved.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 7:16 am

Their beaks are so powerful they can sever the coaxial cable of T.V antennas, pull chunks of timber away from structural corners, destroy hard wood veranda rails etc. We got three quotes for the repairs & 14k was the median.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 9:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I've been swooped by nesting Indian Mynahs (spelling) too.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 10:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

An even bigger NOOOOOOO to having a dog. We have so many yipping barking things around here and they drive me mad with their noise. Plus they stink, crap everywhere and put their noses where there is the filthiest pile of crap and then jump up at you or try to lick you. YUCK. I'd end up being responsible for cleaning up, feeding and walking it too.

I was attacked by a dog when young, so I am quite wary of them.

Just aint going to happen. DD is allergic to cats, so I can't even get one of those to stalk around looking haughty and scratching the furniture to bits.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Their beaks are so powerful they can sever the coaxial cable of T.V antennas, pull chunks of timber away from structural corners, destroy hard wood veranda rails etc. We got three quotes for the repairs & 14k was the median.
Jesus. Does bird damage come under the insurance cover?
Originally Posted by Alfresco
I've been swooped by nesting Indian Mynahs (spelling) too.

An even bigger NOOOOOOO to having a dog. We have so many yipping barking things around here and they drive me mad with their noise. Plus they stink, crap everywhere and put their noses where there is the filthiest pile of crap and then jump up at you or try to lick you. YUCK. I'd end up being responsible for cleaning up, feeding and walking it too.

I was attacked by a dog when young, so I am quite wary of them.

Just aint going to happen. DD is allergic to cats, so I can't even get one of those to stalk around looking haughty and scratching the furniture to bits.
Well, looks like you're back to plan A then, the scarecrow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.