Australia habitat?

Old Jul 28th 2014, 10:39 am
Just Joined

salas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australia habitat?

I am considering to move to Australia permenantly but though this may sound funny to some, my great concern is about animals. I know Australia is home to many unique creatures and then and again I hearn tales of animals breaking into homes and hiding in the kitchen closet etc. when you have to call the firefighters or some other guys to take out the dangerous beast. Any alarming thing you wanna tell about Australia animals?
Old Jul 28th 2014, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

sormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud of
Default Re: Australia habitat?

The number of dogs which simply live I the yard, never go for walks and bark all day and night is alarming... But in terms of Aussie animals never had a problem, become desensitised from massive cockroaches quickly though.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 11:11 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by salas
I am considering to move to Australia permenantly but though this may sound funny to some, my great concern is about animals. I know Australia is home to many unique creatures and then and again I hearn tales of animals breaking into homes and hiding in the kitchen closet etc. when you have to call the firefighters or some other guys to take out the dangerous beast. Any alarming thing you wanna tell about Australia animals?
There are many dangerous snakes in Australia, here's a list, fortunately there are few fatalities from them but they are deadly if you don't get quick treatment.

Australia's 10 most dangerous snakes - Australian Geographic

and, of course, there are the spiders..

Australian spiders: the 10 most dangerous - Australian Geographic
Old Jul 28th 2014, 11:22 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
There are many dangerous snakes in Australia, here's a list, fortunately there are few fatalities from them but they are deadly if you don't get quick treatment.

Australia's 10 most dangerous snakes - Australian Geographic

and, of course, there are the spiders..

Australian spiders: the 10 most dangerous - Australian Geographic
Not seen any snakes yet, but had spiders in the laundry and in the mail box.

Narrowly missed hitting a roo at 110kph coming home from work the other night - that wouldn't have ended well!
Old Jul 28th 2014, 11:22 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

...and not forgetting the most dangerous of them all...the drop bear
Old Jul 28th 2014, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Watch out for destructive masses of cockatoos who will chew anything wooden, including, decks, furniture and windows. NEVER feed them.

Also kookaburras who will get so tame they will come inside the house and steal food from your plate.

And the ants which vary in size from thousands of tiny sugar ants who invade your house because nothing here is ever sealed properly, to huge ones that will give you a painful bite.

Oh and spiders- venomous things and even the ones that aren't spin webs so strong they are like elastic when you walk into one- usually at face height!!

hope I'm not putting you off- there are some lovely ones too -you just don't want them in your house!
Old Jul 28th 2014, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

BASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond repute

And the most dangerous and some say numerous of them all , the politicians .
Old Jul 28th 2014, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Salas, thank your for providing my first laugh of the day.

Well in my four years in Australia, no dangerous beasts have hidden in my cupboards. We occasionally get an ant infestation, maybe after a bit of rain they make their way in through a tiny crack in the walls or something. We once had a huntsman in the house, but it stayed on the ceilings which are very high and we kept ourselves to ourselves. A day or two later, I found a dead huntsman on the floor, it obviously came down for something and met my cat. Mmm, that's it really.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 10:58 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rasen78
...and not forgetting the most dangerous of them all...the drop bear
And bogans! The red necked ones are particularly dangerous.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 3:10 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

In nearly 13 years the only wildlife encounters I've had are;

Cane Toads - all over the road during summer especially if it's wet - duty bound to try to run them over
2 x huntsmen spiders - one in the toilet and one in the bedroom, insect spray sorts them out
Cockroaches - one or two each season, most houses get an annual pest spray so their life span is short once exposed to the chemicals in the house/barrier around the house

Fairly benign really! As a city apartment dweller I am yet to see a snake outside of a zoo!
Old Jul 29th 2014, 5:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I had a dumb arse roo run into the side of my car once.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I had a dumb arse roo run into the side of my car once.
I hope it wasn't hurt. I like roos.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 10:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

The only dangerous beasts that break into ours are geckos
Old Jul 29th 2014, 11:39 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Probably about the only animal in Australia that would/could actually break in to your home would be a possum, and that's only if it fell through the roof.

I've lived in Australia for all my 56 years, and have driven around the continent twice. My animal/wildlife/insect mishaps in those 56 years have been:

One tiger snake in the food tent, while camping. Easily frightened away with a bit of yelling and a gentle prod with a stick.

An invasion of small cockroaches when we rented a house - the agent said the last tenants had complained of the same thing (but didn't think to tell us prior, of course). Baits didn't work, I wouldn't use sprays because I had young children, so broke the lease and moved somewhere cocky free.

One baby tiger snake in a former workplace, which was by a river.

One little bright green frog in a caravan park shower in Queensland, which was so perfect that I thought it was a magnet - until I tried to take it off the wall. Screamed so loudly it's a wonder the poor thing didn't die of fright.

If you live near the bush, you'll need to watch out for snakes in quiet corners of your back yard (ie planter pots). Finding a snake in your back yard isn't an every day occurrence but it can happen. Some spiders can give a nasty bite, again it's just common sense - for example if you leave shoes out the back, check them before putting them on, and be careful when getting tools/lawnmower etc out of sheds.

There are frequent shark sightings off swimming beaches in Perth but our Premier is doing his best to slaughter them all

That's it really. Nothing here will kill you unless you're very unlucky or very stupid. If there is one 'animal' problem in Australia, I'd say it's the insects. Nothing bloody dies here
Old Jul 30th 2014, 5:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I hope it wasn't hurt. I like roos.
Don't know. It hopped away. Needed a new door though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.