Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Aussies are wonderful

Aussies are wonderful

Old Oct 27th 2008, 4:27 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussies are wonderful

Acksherly I think we may have gotten pretty close to Cronulla on the way back - we ended up taking our friend to Sutherland A&E on a road called Kingsway, IIRC.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
I've been lazy, Mark - if it's not on the North Shore line, I don't go.

Mostly attributable to the shock to my system of moving here in Winter, but these days I've no excuse. Did venture down as far as Bundeena the other weekend, but that was in the car.
I live in Killara, and am just starting to drive up to Hornsby and over to Castle Hill, but if it's the city, then I hop on the train. Mind you after that yob throwing a stone through the window last time I was on the train- coincidentally just after seeing Kim, who told me her horror story -perhaps I will use the car a bit more. How do you get an e-tag???
Caroline
p.s. if you want to pop up for a coffee pm me.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
How do you get an e-tag???
You can get them from the RTA on-line or just go in to an RTA office and get it there and then. My friend at work has been here 4 years and he didn't know until I told him

Also means you can claim back the tolls for the M5 & M4
Old Oct 27th 2008, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by medwaymark
You can get them from the RTA on-line or just go in to an RTA office and get it there and then. My friend at work has been here 4 years and he didn't know until I told him

Also means you can claim back the tolls for the M5 & M4
Thanks- when I know that I have to drive to the airport, I'll get one...meantime I'm not driving in the city...too scared. Is there a way to get to the airport without going into the centre???
Old Oct 27th 2008, 4:45 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Acksherly I think we may have gotten pretty close to Cronulla on the way back - we ended up taking our friend to Sutherland A&E on a road called Kingsway, IIRC.
yep very near me bundeena is just a ferry ride away.

Hey we can always meet in the city you know. I can do a train if I don't have things to carry.

I now have a disabled car parking pass so parking is easy just wish I could drive

Caroline
google the rta and find out where your nearest centre is mine is in Miranda and so easy to get to as it's in a shopping mall.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 4:47 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I still haven't driven. Last time I drove was the first week in July, 2002. Didn't own a car in Singapore and, although I used to live in a busy city and drive hundreds of miles on my own in the UK, I just haven't plucked up the courage yet to get back behind the wheel. A lot has happened since then and my brain is not as sharp as it used to be. Think I need a refresher.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 4:59 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

I still haven't driven. Last time I drove was the first week in July, 2002. Didn't own a car in Singapore and, although I used to live in a busy city and drive hundreds of miles on my own in the UK, I just haven't plucked up the courage yet to get back behind the wheel. A lot has happened since then and my brain is not as sharp as it used to be. Think I need a refresher.
I am not allowed to drive because i'm on morphine and can't turn my head enough.
If you want someone to go with you I would be happy to help.I am not scared of driving here it's actually not too bad if you just remember they can undertake you.
But to be honest the train is easy and cheap and comes almost to my door public transport is very good here so I wouldn't worry too much.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 5:48 am
Auntie Fa

Caroline, I didn't know where it was until minutes ago but, if you're in Killara, I hope you're well away from the fires.

They sound to be incredibly close to The Geek's office at Macquarie Park
Old Oct 27th 2008, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

what fires????

oh no, it's not too close as I am the other side of the Pacific highway thank goodness. Was someone trying to burn the Geek?

Last edited by carolinephillips; Oct 27th 2008 at 6:56 am. Reason: just saw the news
Old Oct 27th 2008, 6:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Column 8 in the Sydney Morning Herald might be able to track down the kind-hearted people
Old Oct 27th 2008, 8:25 pm
Up Around the Bend

penky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
I decided to try the train for the airport from Sydney to Melbourne I left myself plenty to miss as I'm a bit disabled I spoke to the guard told him where I needed to get off and he said he would be there to take my suitcase off
I arrive at wolli creek no guard, I try to get off by myself and get my foot arm and walking stick out when the train doors shut and the train moves off I manage to pull my body in through the rubber but my stick is caught outside I'm terrified.
I am very upset the people in the carriage help me get my stick in and ask me what I was doing the next few train stations have no lift but 2 kind men help me off 3 stations down carry my suitcase over the steps to the platform and help me over them
One man puts my suitcase on the train GETS ON THE TRAIN WITH ME and travels back to Wolli creek where he helps me off and goes to catch a train back to his destination!
What fantastically kind people I have advertised in the paper for their names but they haven't come forward.
I find many Aussies have the same kind of sheer kindness and consideration

However I won't be using the train again for long journeys that really scared me
Oh Ash how awful for you, it must have been so frightening
Thats so lovely that folk were so nice to you, going the extra distance literally, restores your faith in humanity.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Oh what a frightening thing to happen Ash.

I'm so pleased that there were such lovely people on that train with you.

You know, I bet they won't come forward because they did what they did because it was the right thing and not because they wanted praise.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Fly Away
Oh what a frightening thing to happen Ash.

I'm so pleased that there were such lovely people on that train with you.

You know, I bet they won't come forward because they did what they did because it was the right thing and not because they wanted praise.
Probably not but having put it in the paper at least they know how grateful I am!
The whole compartment were lovely they were all talking together trying to work out a way to get me safely to the airport it was amazing actually quite funny they were all ignoring each other minding their own business then suddenly everyone is talking to everyone else
Old Oct 27th 2008, 10:06 pm

Ruby slippers is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably not but having put it in the paper at least they know how grateful I am!
The whole compartment were lovely they were all talking together trying to work out a way to get me safely to the airport it was amazing actually quite funny they were all ignoring each other minding their own business then suddenly everyone is talking to everyone else
So sorry such an awful thing happened. You know, in London one or two people would have hepled the rest would have carried on reading. Am glad your ok.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh - that's so lovely. I hope they all went their separate ways feeling like they were part of a community.

I have to say as someone who makes a habit of passing out in the M&S returns queue, (it is always in the hottest, unventilated corner of the shop and about 100 people long....) I have to say, that I have always been helped without fail. Although everyone looks very relieved when I come round and say 'oh no not again, I'm fine everyone!!'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.